Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

opinion on a person you didnt like.

Options
  • 03-11-2012 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

If a person you didnt like did a good favor for you, would it change your opinion on that person?

would you think better of them or would your opinion stay the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

I would be lying to say I don't hate people....personally it all depends on what the person did and how that action would affect my judgement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

What kind of favour?

If a cunt helps me move something to the other side of the room, chances are he's still a cunt. Saves my life, slightly less of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

He'd still be the same fecker he always was.Might have to be more polite to him I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

My opinion would stay the same, I would just owe them one is all.
    I would look for a way to repay them as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Be wary of someone you dont like or trust doing a favour for you, it may often mean they want something in return. See benjamin Franklin effect below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Franklin_effect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Does anyone else here think that grudges demand too much time and energy?

I know I couldn't be arsed holding them most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Depends what they did to you i suppose. Everyone makes mistakes and deserves a second chance imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Amprodude wrote: »
    If a person you didnt like did a good favor for you, would it change your opinion on that person?

I fuckin' love that moment........ and I've had a few of them.
    It restores my faith in humanity, and it means slowly but surely I may be forming a new friendship.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

The OP isn't referring to an enemy or nemesis, simply someone you don't like.
    Don't know why people are going into detail about holding grudges, forgiveness and new friendships.

Simply asked if someone that you don't like for whatever reason did you a good turn. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Perhaps you read them the wrong way in the first instance. We all have our bad days. I have yet to meet the perfect person and I don't think I'd like him or her were I to.

• Advertisement

It actually happened to me really recently.

I've been thinking about it a lot since and I can only assume she's luring me into a false sense of security, or wants me to return the favour in future.

So no, it hasn't changed my opinion. I can only assume the favour had a hidden agenda behind it.

Depends on your reasons for disliking them in the first place really.

I tend not to dislike many people and I base my opinion on how they are with me/have treated me, so if they're being nice then chances are.....yeh, my opinion could be changed.

All down to circumstance really.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Idi Amin was great with children.

Hitler got work for a lot of people.

Ian Paisley was a good MP regardless of which side of the community you came from.

Thing to watch out for is being paranoid. Just because someone isn't nice to you doesn't mean they are out to get you, they probably don't even care if you exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,014 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Thing to watch out for is being paranoid. Just because someone isn't nice to you doesn't mean they are out to get you, they probably don't even care if you exist.
    I think, therefore...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

That's what they want you to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

That's what they want you to think.

Vito, keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Amprodude wrote: »

It's very easy to form an opinion on someone, however, as the old saying goes - never judge a book by it's cover.

One such person that comes to my own mind is a guy I was living with in a rented house when I was quite young. When around friends and out drinking he was the biggest, loudest wanker I ever met. Everything was for show, and attention. When you're younger you think a prick is just a prick, but people carry on that way for reasons that you can't see from the surface.

When around his friends etc., he was a pretty considerate guy. I might come home and find him cooking something in the kitchen, and in terms of personality, was completely different with me. (Rather than one big favour, there was a lot of consideration, and would help me out a lot, giving advice etc.) He could chat away and have a laugh with me, but on a more genuine level. I couldn't make head nor tail of it then, but for some reason he upped the ante around friends. I couldn't understand his need to be the centre of attention all of the time, to impress everyone. Wasn't just his friends though, he was quite in your face with women as well, which is a shame. When he was just himself, he was actually a great guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Vito, keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Keep your friends at a distance and keep your enemies locked in the basement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

9959 wrote: »
    Keep your friends at a distance and keep your enemies locked in the basement.

That was Ed Gein's philosophy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

Are you an avid fisher or something...

but to quote a pop song "I hate everyone equally, you can't tear that out off me no segregation/seperation just me and my world of enemies!!!"

• Advertisement
Advertisement