Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Citroen Xantia - am I mad?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

It didn't look nor drive like a ball of shíte.

Thanks for that, I just assumed they'd be completely out of my league but I guess not! I'd be a bit concerned about early examples though, and I like the look of the Xantia a lot more - the C5 looks a bit lumpy and non-descript IMO. Maybe it'll grow on me :)

After four years of said Fiesta, that's something I want to get away from! :eek::D But I'm sure it's about a million times more comfortable than the Feshty.

I have to re-evalute everything now the C5 has come into the equation. I'm not going to consider that Xantia at all now without a serious discount, or with some deal on getting the timing belt changed.

Still not sure about getting a diesel - I'm not scared about 2-litre tax but can't there's a lot more expensive things to go wrong with them like glow plugs (well, expensive compared to spark plugs :o ), injectors, turbos, etc. Do the C5 diesels all have cats and particulate filters? I'm not doing massive mileage either, did about 7k miles last year.

Thanks again for all the help and advice :pac:

Any diesel fitted to a early C5 (i presume) will be the DW10 2 liter engine. Bulletproof if looked after. Used in rakes of Fords, volvos and other cars across the PSA range. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a particulate filter but the newer ones do and i'm pretty sure there is a cat in it.

As I've said apart from routine things, like the timing belt and oil + filter changes the engine has never given any problems.

EDIT:

Its an absolute miser on fuel. 60+mpg on the motorway easily attainable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Thanks for that, I just assumed they'd be completely out of my league but I guess not! I'd be a bit concerned about early examples though, and I like the look of the Xantia a lot more - the C5 looks a bit lumpy and non-descript IMO. Maybe it'll grow on me :)

I'd agree it is a shapeless big blob of a car but look for less than 2 grand you could get yourself a very comfortable highly equiped motor. Electric everything & so much space. I mean the money we're talking here the looks kind of become irrelavent.

Silly money for a lot of car;

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1933232
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1923968 - Bit more than 2k but its a 2002 & lowish mileage for a diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My money would be on a Peugeot 406 of similar vintage over a C5. Much better car than the C5 and very nice to drive. Same HDi engines too.

Eg: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1944665

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The 406 is more like the Xantia (same platform) but without the fancy suspension, and I was considering them but would prefer a hatchback TBH. Hopefully will take a look at some C5s this week...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Nightshifter

i agree with most of the above......trouble free motoring but don't be put off by inexperienced mechanics who can barely disguise their fear of the unknown.....price is a little giddy also.....recently bought a C5 auto diesel estate for €1650 2002 with a new test off that trusted website donedeal from a guy who knew his onions.....i am fascinated at the value i got and the car impresses me more every day...i am fortunate to know a mechanic who thrives on all things gallic and relishes getting his hands on this french filly from time to time.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement