Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gay Byrne not wearing seat belt on Wogans ireland

Comments

bladespin wrote: »
    It sure looks like he's wearing it, pulling the crossover away from centre, might not be the official correct way to wear it but I doubt you'd be getting points from a garda for wearing it that way either.

As soon as he leaves go it will be in place, 6 page thread about sfa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

So if I understand correctly, Gay Byrne was in fact wearing a seatbelt -albeit ill-advisedly keeping it away from his mic - but the OP has blatantly lied about this so he/she can have a rant at the RSA.

Motors is one of the better fora on Boards, but it would be improved by closing threads like this which have nothing to do with the subject and are just soapboxes for begrudgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

RoverJames wrote: »
    that crap lads on here have in their sigs about the RSA is the greatest load of arse I've seen anywhere.

I'm curious as to why? Surely a change in their thinking would be beneficial?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

EPM wrote: »
    I'm curious as to why? Surely a change in their thinking would be beneficial?

Agreed, if the RSA were much more involved with actual drivers and driving groups from vintage owners clubs to modified owners clubs to track day enthusiasts then they would be much better informed of how to get the safety message across.

On the topic at hand, as much as I think Gay Byrne has a negative effect on road safety I think the reaction to the video is a bit over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The film shows that he is not wearing it in any suitable way (if at all). He is the chairman of the RSA, there is NO excuse for this. Being in his position, he should have made a point of being seen to wear it. If it was a mic issue then the mics should have been repositioned. Some of the posts here seem to suggest that road safety should come second to the requests of the bbc sound man.
    The belt as he is using it is dangerous. If not clicked, it will have no effect. If he has it clicked but pulled to the side, it could cause significant additional injury. very foolish to do this and equally foolish to be seen to do this given his position.

• Advertisement

I'm calling any employee of the RSA to come speak to us as a community, stand up and work with us rather than against us, educate us and we in turn can educate you, for the RSA to really work it needs to understand the mind of it's target audience. Do this and I'm 100% it will pay dividends

:)

- for a start what are they doing that ye reckon makes them to be working against ye?
    - the problem are those who speed, drink drive, don't wear seat belts, drive dangerously etc etc
    - having a signature like that is futile, it's akin to the stickers on taxis saying "election now", total load of arse that no one pays much attention to.
    - what's wrong with the current thinking of the RSA?
    - what makes anyone think that signature would encourage them to engage with "us"?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

draffodx wrote: »
    ...as much as I think Gay Byrne has a negative effect on road safety...
    I dunno about that, now!

as much as I think Gay Byrne has a negative effect on road safety

Why do you think that? At worst I would think he has no effect on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

mickdw wrote: »
    If he has it clicked but pulled to the side, it could cause significant additional injury. very foolish to do this and equally foolish to be seen to do this given his position.

Do you really believe that? The situation in question is cruising through dublin traffic, the belt as it was being used would cause no additional injury and would be more than sufficient for the job at hand.

Just my 2c but, we're always asking for a bit of common sense to be applied to the RSA, surely we should lead by example too and show the same common sense when we make comments like the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

So if I understand correctly, Gay Byrne was in fact wearing a seatbelt -albeit ill-advisedly keeping it away from his mic - but the OP has blatantly lied about this so he/she can have a rant at the RSA.

Motors is one of the better fora on Boards, but it would be improved by closing threads like this which have nothing to do with the subject and are just soapboxes for begrudgers.

No, I think you're misunderstanding. This hasn't been clarified that he is, or isn't wearing a seatbelt. You could go either way. It does look an awful lot like he's just draping the seatbelt over his arm, which is what a lot of the older generation do (my granny did it ALL the time) to make it look like they're wearing the seatbelt.
    So no, the OP hasn't blatantly lied. If anything, you're the one jumping to the conclusions.

Anyways, even if he IS wearing it improperly... he may as well not be wearing it at all.
    If that car was in a head on crash at the time of recording, both Gay and Terry would be being treated for dislocated shoulders or worse in the hospital...

I hardly think that, when safety is the key point of the RSA here, that Gay should be shown to so obviously lean to aesthetics and comfort over safety.

• Advertisement

I'm calling any employee of the RSA to come speak to us as a community, stand up and work with us rather than against us, educate us and we in turn can educate you, for the RSA to really work it needs to understand the mind of it's target audience. Do this and I'm 100% it will pay dividends

- for a start what are they doing that ye reckon makes them to be working against ye?
    - the problem are those who speed, drink drive, don't wear seat belts, drive dangerously etc etc
    - having a signature like that is futile, it's akin to the stickers on taxis saying "election now", total load of arse that no one pays much attention to.
    - what makes anyone think that signature would encourage them to engage with "us"?

I don't think whats in the signatures of some people states an issue with or implies any of those things, its just asking for more open communication channels and collaboration with actual motorists.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I dunno about that, now!
    Why do you think that? At worst I would think he has no effect on it.

He portrays an authoritarian type figure, almost dictatorship like in some of his rants that only serves to further distance the highest risk groups on our roads rather than get the message across to them.

The RSA need to engage with these groups to make the road safety message work, flat out telling them that they must do this or that simply doesn't work and in fact has shown to have a negative impact by researchers and Gay Byrne is always at that.

I don't think whats in the signatures of some people states an issue with or implies any of those things, its just asking for more open communication channels and collaboration with actual motorists.

Ok :confused:

So by asking them to work with us rather than against us does not imply they are currently somehow working against us?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

He portrays an authoritarian type figure, almost dictatorship like in some of his rants that only serves to further distance the highest risk groups on our roads rather than get the message across to them.

The RSA need to engage with these groups to make the road safety message work, flat out telling them that they must do this or that simply doesn't work and in fact has shown to have a negative impact by researchers and Gay Byrne is always at that.
    If that's true (and I think it might well be), then it's genuinely frightening. Anyone stupid/immature enough to drive more dangerously because of Gay Byrne has IMO no business being behing the wheel of a car.
    Do you really believe that? The situation in question is cruising through dublin traffic, the belt as it was being used would cause no additional injury and would be more than sufficient for the job at hand.
    I think people tend to grossly underestimate the forces at work in even low-speed accidents. I'd imagine even a good unexpected stomp on the brakes would be enough to leave him with facial bruising and even perhaps a broken nose.

Ok :confused:

So by asking them to work with us rather than against us does not imply they are currently somehow working against us?

Possibly bad wording there, but I think the idea is the same, open communication with the RSA rather than the RSA not engaging with their target audience.

To help each other out in a positive manner and both parties gain from it, I dont think the idea is to get an RSA rep to sit there and take abuse from people but rather a meeting whereby road safety and road safety initiatives could be improved by real motorists input.
    Anan1 wrote: »
    If that's true (and I think it might well be), then it's genuinely frightening. Anyone stupid/immature enough to drive more dangerously because of Gay Byrne has IMO no business being behing the wheel of a car.

Unfortunately immaturity is probably at the root of most dangerous driving you see on our roads whether it be a young lad or an ould lad.

I don't think Gay Byrne is a person that people will listen to on these matters. I don't think he has the respect required to get the RSA's message across. We all know what the problems are regarding road safety but the signatures are just a gesture of disappointment with the route the RSA has taken to get its point across. It may be futile to you but it is at least an effort to voice opinion.

I think the main problem is the almost know it all persona the man portrays. I can see immense benefit in consultation with different groups to draw up a more complete strategy.

Just my 2c:)

EPM wrote: »
    It may be futile to you but it is at least an effort to voice opinion.

Well unless RSA folk are reading them and PM ing the sh1te out of ye it's fairly futile me thinks :)

Well unless RSA folk are reading them and PM ing the sh1te out of ye it's fairly futile me thinks :)

Ah but ya never know until you try.

Just my 2c but, we're always asking for a bit of common sense to be applied to the RSA, surely we should lead by example too and show the same common sense when we make comments like the above.

The situation is cruising through dublin however, wearing a 3 point belt in this fashion (like a lap belt almost) will mean it will not function as designed. In an accident, Gays shoulder would most likely slip out of that belt then he will basically have a lap belt. Now this will be alot worse than a proper lap belt in that it wont have had suffiently quick movement to lock itself so really its useless.
    Even cruising through Dublin, if someone was to hit that car head one, it would be a severe accident and you would need all the safety that a proper belt could give. There is the other problem with the airbag systems which assume the the occupant is held position and can be lethal if you are in the wrong position.

I remember an RSA ad, "it was the one without the seatbelt that did the damage"

The situation is cruising through dublin however, wearing a 3 point belt in this fashion (like a lap belt almost) will mean it will not function as designed. In an accident, Gays shoulder would most likely slip out of that belt then he will basically have a lap belt. Now this will be alot worse than a proper lap belt in that it wont have had suffiently quick movement to lock itself so really its useless.
    Even cruising through Dublin, if someone was to hit that car head one, it would be a severe accident and you would need all the safety that a proper belt could give. There is the other problem with the airbag systems which assume the the occupant is held position and can be lethal if you are in the wrong position.

I remember an RSA ad, "it was the one without the seatbelt that did the damage"

I had the accident you describe above - <30 mph head on, belt didn't tension, my grip on the steering wheel was enough to secure me , I'm sure the lap belt would have done the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

the driver of the car in first episode driving ring of Kerry in wrong direction... Kerry council advise to go one way! there were few near misses with buses as terry said himself!

clearly the bbc crew dont believe in rules of driving in Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

the driver of the car in first episode driving ring of Kerry in wrong direction... Kerry council advise to go one way! there were few near misses with buses as terry said himself!

clearly the bbc crew dont believe in rules of driving in Ireland!

The Ring of Kerry is a 2-way route.

The convention is for larger vehicles, it's not Law and not illegal to go in the opposite direction.

If everyone were to have a defeatest attitude or indeed call it a "load of arse" if some people agree on a point and like to communicate it things would never change. I'm not saying that a little comment in a sig will change the world for the better but at the very least it gives some food for thought:)

I had the accident you describe above - <30 mph head on, belt didn't tension, my grip on the steering wheel was enough to secure me , I'm sure the lap belt would have done the job.

What speed was other car doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

smug wa*ker
    bitter wrote: »
    Gay Byrne is a small man with a huge chip on his shoulder cos he wasn't born british.
    afatbollix wrote: »
    Gaybo your a prick
    The-Rigger wrote: »
    What a smug tool

Seriously lads??

Down with these sort of comments (seriously).

Gophur wrote: »
    I know who he is, but I don't do requests.

Why is it such a big secret?

Even on the website they don't detail who this representative is:
    http://www.rsa.ie/Utility/About-Us/Meet-the-board/

Gophur wrote: »
    The Ring of Kerry is a 2-way route.

The convention is for larger vehicles, it's not Law and not illegal to go in the opposite direction.

I never said it was illegal, I said Kerry council advise!

What speed was other car doing?

Hard to say, but I'd estimate no more than 10 mph on impact, same as myself, the brakes can do a lot but thay hadn't quite stopped us when we collided, it would be exactly the same for their situation.

Hard to say, but I'd estimate no more than 10 mph on impact, same as myself, the brakes can do a lot but thay hadn't quite stopped us when we collided, it would be exactly the same for their situation.

Ah now, I meant a 30 mph head on. Its quite possible in city areas. Not 10 mph head on. I think car bumpers are designed to hit walls at up to 6 or 8 mph with deforming. 30 mph is a different story though.

I sent email to RSA looking for an explanation :-D

Respone from RSA....

Thank you for contacting the Road Safety Authority with your e-mail dated Monday 31st January 2011. Unfortunately I did not see the show that you are referring to but I am aware of its existence. The wearing of a seatbelt is the law and it is the advice of the Road Safety Authority that it should be worn at all times when travelling in a vehicle.

Many thanks for taking the time to bring this to our attention.

Kind regards

Does that mean he will be prosecuted for breaking law?? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Honestly...

It looks like both lads have their seatbelts plugged in and are just holding back the diagonal belt with their thumbs for aesthetic reasons.

How is this such a big deal??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Does that mean he will be prosecuted for breaking law?? ;)

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

More chance of the IMF giving us all the money we need for free.

Advertisement