Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Intruder Alarm Questions and Answers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

we have a wireless one in our house and it rings our mobiles any time it goes off. Not sure how many numbers we can have on it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

seanybiker wrote: »
    we have a wireless one in our house and it rings our mobiles any time it goes off. Not sure how many numbers we can have on it
    HKC or Astec Fusion would be your best option for this feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Any good recommendations for south east dublin area? PM if necessary.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Sent you a PM with a couple of links let me know if you need more

• Registered Users Posts: 32 KevinC

Thanks for the advice. I drilled channels using your chain drill technique. It worked out well. I got a company to sort out the sensors (Cuala security). It all worked out well in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Getting quotes off a few people now, thanks.

Glad everything worked out for you kevin. You need anything you know where I am :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 flyfree

Please keep in mind that the eircom wireless system is nothing more than a basic wireless system that can be got in any DIY place or wholesalers for 300 euro and installed by any novice in a day.

An eircom system can only ever be serviced and monitered by eircom, unlike an independant installers system which can be taken over by another company and have no ongoing charge.

flyfree wrote: »
    Please keep in mind that the eircom wireless system is nothing more than a basic wireless system that can be got in any DIY place or wholesalers for 300 euro and installed by any novice in a day.
    Can you back that up with make model & quotations?
    An eircom system can only ever be serviced and monitered by eircom,
    Not true
    can be taken over by another company and have no ongoing charge.
    The ongoing charges relate to service & monitoring . If a monitored system is taken over by another company you still have to pay for it being monitored. You also have to have a service contract if you wish your system to maintain the EN50131. I am no fan of Eircom BTW, just pointing out the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 effone

Hi, my mother in law was broken into on Friday night and I'm researching house alarms. I'm thinking of going for wireless as the house isn't wired and a monitoring service maybe with texting too. There are some gadgets in the Deaf Association shop for these applications like vibrating pillow mats and pagers. I'd need a system with a panic button or pendant.

If you've any advice on these systems or suppliers it'd be much appreciated.

• Advertisement

If the house is not wired I'd recommend getting a survey of the property done first. Wireless may suit & partial wireless may also work & save you some money.
    I'd also recommend monitoring to contact family members

You do realise that it is illegal for you to install a system yourself in someone else's property unless you are PSA licenced.

A little off topic , but that is correct only if payment is recieved.

I don't think its off topic he asked for advice.

I would be very careful about any monies exchanging hands even just for materials if not licenced. We are talkin about serious fines or imprisonment. Not to mention it could invalidate her insurance policy.

Its an argument that pops up a lot on this forum so I'm sure most users are well aware or the implications.
    If anyone is looking for more indept info on the PSA & NSAI its all in my post here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055461114

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

I'm looking for some info on the costs of getting an alarm installed i have a 3 bed duplex that's already wired and have gotten a quote of €1,500 reduced from €1,700. It seems on the high side to me but have nothing to compare it to - can anyone give me some idea?

€800-€900 would be around average.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

koolkid wrote: »
    €800-€900 would be around average.

Thanks I thought it was a bit steep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

My 80 year old mother is having problems with her 5 year old alarm. She gets it regularly serviced. Just before Christmas the hall door sensor started giving trouble. It had been serviced only a few weeks earlier. It started going off especially when put on at night giving her a terrible fright. She called the guy who fitted it and he came and replaced the sensors (which she paid for). At Christmas it started again. She rang him and he promised to call but never did. She kept the alarm off as a result.

She thought it might be down to bad weather swelling the door (it's very old) and started putting it on again a few weeks ago. All was well until it went off again last week and I had to rush home from work. She called him again and he said 'this can't go on' and promised to call her back but never did. Now my mother is an especially polite woman and was upset at this. It's obvious he is not interested in the job and if I get on the phone to him I'll lose my temper. So, would anyone know where I can get an engineer who will actually come out and do something? She's just paid €200+ to the monitoring company which is useless as she's not using the alarm. :mad:

I just sent you a PM with my details. Give me a call Monday & we will sort it for you.
    It is discraceful that you have already paid for this to be fixed.
    We will not charge you any call out .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Thats very generous Koolkid.

Thats very generous Koolkid.

Thats me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

hi I have an alarm that has a rj11 port for telephone line, so if alarm goes off it will dial a number and let me know alarm is going off. now here's the problem I have no landline, is it possible to get a device that I can put a sim card into and use that to dial out.

Yes, Astec sell a device called D2M (Dialler to Mobile)
    Basically it takes a sim card & give out an anolouge phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭djkat

Hi all

I was broken into last friday and the oh has insisted on getting a new alarm

The best on i have been quoted is the europlex signet,

Just wondering does anyone have one of these and what to they make of them

The quote i got was 1080.00 eur and that was for 2 motion sensors, 6 window sensors, key pad, bell box and 2 door sensors

Thanks

The quote seems a bit steep for what you are getting. 6 window sensors is hardly covering all accessable points for entry.
    Is this quote for wireless on the SigNet?
    If you are getting the SigNet insist on the SigNet 300 thats the one that has IP access.
    Otherwise i'd recommend the Astec Fusion.
    I would also suggest geeting a few other quotes & ensure whoever you are dealing with is NSAI & PSA licenced.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭djkat

Hi Koolkid

It is for the wireless model

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

djkat wrote: »
    Hi all

I was broken into last friday and the oh has insisted on getting a new alarm

The best on i have been quoted is the europlex signet,

Just wondering does anyone have one of these and what to they make of them

The quote i got was 1080.00 eur and that was for 2 motion sensors, 6 window sensors, key pad, bell box and 2 door sensors

Thanks

Ummm based on your post above it sounds like you already have an alarm.

Why not figure out why that one didn't go off? and fix what ever the problem is.

I'm sure some of the guys here would be able to advise if your current system is worth looking at. Just a thought....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

As already mentioned get a few other quotes and make sure that you are comparing like with like.
    The signet 300 is a bit OTT for a domestic alarm plus it's 3 times the price of the standard 100 model. The 100 version is more that enough for any domestic alarm alarm system

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement