Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister Ahern to end eircom line-rental monopoly.

• 28-01-2004 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Just heard it on the news! Hope it is as it sounds...

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Which news? I've got a feeling he is talking about replacing the retail monopoly with a wholesale monopoly which, of course, solves nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by mike65
    Just heard it on the news! Hope it is as it sounds...
    Easier said than done. Which makes it just perfect for a political sound bite.

(From a Minister who, I readily acknowledge, is head and shoulders above any of his predecessors in the position. Some might call that "damning with faint praise").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Unfortunatly the story was only one line long and so way nearly over by the time my mind focused in on it!

Nothing on rte.ie/news or unison.ie yet...best wait until
    8 pm news headlines (when I'll have to edit the topic line proberly)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

The report on the 19.00 news said he was issuing a direction mandating ComReg to introduce ?"wholesale unbundling"? by March 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

It is about time that something was done about this.
    wholesale unbundling

Is this the same as unbundling the local loop?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Cork
    It is about time that something was done about this.

Is this the same as unbundling the local loop?
    Sounds like wholesale line rental to me. If it is, then it does not break Eircom's monopoly since all it does is allow other companies to resell Eircom's line rental. A reseller of a service is not a competitor of a service and since the wholesale price will be well above what the retail price was a year ago, there will be no chance that this will bring down the price significantly.

It will be bad news for Eircom since they will now have to share some of their profits with resellers, but the consumer will only be slightly better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

http://www.marine.gov.ie/modules/pressreleases.asp?guid=8C3DD0B13830988953F01383097B2B28D13830978BAC7B138309800BEB11383097C63596138309800BEB113830978BAC7B1383092E3C5E|1AB955&arg=61F8EF81E253663DB42E1E253663DB42E1E2536|306160|123C2A&farg=37624641215A43640EC01215A439A4FAC1215A439A4FAC1215A4|29ED3D|17D799

This is the release but there appears to be problems in accessing it via the link so here is the text
    Dublin, Wednesday, 28th January, 2004
    Dermot Ahern TD, Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources, today ordered the Communications Regulator (ComReg) to introduce competition on line rental pricing by the end of March.

The Minister announced that he is to issue a policy direction to ComReg to introduce by Wednesday 31st March, 2004, a wholesale line rental product single billing product - for voice and data services. Minister Ahern said he would insist that the margin between wholesale and retail rates is wide enough to drive competition.

Addressing the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Communications, Marine and Natural Resources, the Minister said the effect of this radical move would be to

Cut line rental prices to Irish consumers by allowing telecoms companies to compete against Eircom for line-rental.
    Cut line rental prices by giving telecom companies the potential to undercut the Eircom price, providing Eircom with the incentive to keep prices down.
    Build jobs, lower phone prices for Irish consumers, which in turn will lower inflation.
    Direct ComReg to insist that the product is accessible, affordable, and available for telecoms operators.
    Minister Ahern stated: If the product is not in place by the end of March and if it is not delivering verifiable competition and lower prices by the end of June, I will direct ComReg to take line rental out of the present price CAP, and to set a specific rental cap no greater than the consumer price index.

The Minister will go to consultation on the proposed policy directions within the next week.

The development of the telecoms market is clearly dependant on the input from a number of players both private and public. I am confident that the significant investment by Government and my policy directions will send a clear signal to the market that I intend to ensure that competition develops so that no operator will be in a position to operate non competitive pricing strategies in any market segment. Also, that consumers both business and residential, can go elsewhere if they are not satisfied with the range of services or prices being offered by individual operators.

Referring to the recent increase in line rental, the Minister said the publics anger was understandable. The public are angry because the price increase is well ahead of the general rate of inflation. Secondly, it has been levied on that part of the telephone service where customers have no choice Eircom is the sole operator. At the same time prices are falling in those parts of the market where the company faces competition.

Thirdly, the timing and size of the Eircom line rental price increase comes at a time when the announcement of broader financial developments in the company could reasonably be portrayed as enabling the existing shareholders to cash in their chips at the expense of the customer. This image has not been helped by the fact that shareholders took a dividend of €500 million from the company just last Summer. Of that total, the ESOP, owned by Eircom employees, benefited to the tune of over €150 million.

In these circumstances it is perhaps disappointing that leading figures in the ESOP have chosen to criticise my policies of bringing increased choice to the Irish public, particularly in terms of accelerated roll-out of broadband in the regions.

I believe that the interests of Irish consumers are not served by leaving them at the mercy of private shareholders including those representing employees - whose interests are the corporate bottom line, even if this means higher costs for consumers and slower roll-out of advanced services.

The Minister said he had no role in approving of individual price increases in the telecoms sector. That is the job of the regulator. Under the price cap mechanism, Eircom has discretion in the increase applied to individual items within the basket of services provided that the overall increase is no greater than the rate of inflation.

The Minister said the issuing of a previous policy direction to ComReg in December, 2002, had led to the introduction of flat rate Internet a commodity which now enjoys 50,000 subscribers.

Minister Ahern said initiatives launched by the Government such as the Metropolitan Area Network project - bringing broadband networks to 19 towns by the middle of this year at a cost of €64m - and the €140m scheme to connect over 80 towns with a population of 1,500 or more to broadband networks were underpinning necessary investment in new technology for the future.

ENDS

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

I like the dig in the press release at the CWU and their greed.....

Dermot didn't bottle it.... well done, not everything we would have wanted but a lot more that Senator O'Rourke would ever have done.

M.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Mr_Man
    the Metropolitan Area Network project - bringing broadband networks to 19 towns by the middle of this year
    I wonder if this is another soundbite, or if he knows more about the eNet negotiations than we've heard so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

single billing was due at the end of March anyway (in fact it was due at the end of June 2003 ). smacks more of soundbite than anything else.

the wholesale rate set till the end of April 2004 (about then ) is c €19 ex vat . I am not that hopeful it will make much difference ............. LLU at under €15 ex vat is a much better idea Dermot. Direct some of that as well.

M

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

As usual, I'm a bit obtuse about these things. Wasn't March the deadline (ok, the latest deadline) issued by ComReg for WLR? If that's so, isn't it the case that this isn't really anything new, it's just Ahern rapping ComReg on the knuckles? Like a headmaster telling a teacher to tell a student to pull his socks up and get to work? Which isn't a bad thing, don't get me wrong. It just seems that it's been painted as something more substantive.

The stuff I've heard about WLR in here doesn't inspire confidence either. Sounds like another badly thought out replacement for competion to me.

adam

Heh, it's a bit sad that it took me a whole seven minutes to type that. You beat me to it again Muck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

if I may be pesimistic... I'll believe it when I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Wouldn't "breaking the wholesale monopoly" involve re-nationalisation of ericon's local loop lines, exchanges and their interconnections? Or at the very least, somehow forcing eircon to sell a percentage of them to other companies...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Stupid journalist. Does she even have a phone? (quote highlighted below)
    It's 24 euro per month, not "per two-monthly bill."
    She says it again further down.

From the Indo.

CONSUMERS can look forward to the prospect of lower phone bills in the next few months after the Government yesterday moved to break Eircom's monopoly on line rental.

Communications Minister Dermot Ahern instructed the telecoms regulator, ComReg, to introduce a wholesale line rental product for voice and data services by the end of March, 2004.

The development follows Eircom's most recent line rental hike to more than €24 per two-monthly bill.

Mr Ahern's move means Eircom competitors such as Esat BT and Smart Telecom will be able to provide a line rental service directly to consumers.

And, crucially, they will have the potential to undercut Eircom's line rental price.

The government decision was announced after a Dail committee hearing on communications yesterday.

During the hearing, both Eircom and the telecommunications regulator came under fire for the decision to increase line rental earlier this year.

Committee members said that line rental charges here will be more than €10 above the EU average when the latest hike is introduced next month.

Eircom is now a private company and therefore owns the 1.6m land lines it operates. But under the terms of its telecoms licence it is obliged to be regulated under Irish law and under new EU directives that were introduced last year. It can, therefore, be forced to open up the lines.

Eircom's revenues will be hit if the directive is successfully introduced.

Earlier this year Eircom hiked its line rental for the second time in 12 months to €24 per bill. The move provoked a fierce response from competing operators, pressure groups and commentators.

Last night the company said it was glad of the opportunity to make its case to the committee, adding that it is still the only utility that can ensure its bills do not increase above inflation.

Ailish O'Hora

She works for the Indo. What did you expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

From RTE

Ahern warns ComReg on phone line rental

edit: What a caption!

January 29, 2004
    (09:42) The Minister for Communications, Dermot Ahern, has said that he will cap the price of telephone line rental by the end of June if the regulator, ComReg, is unable to verify that there is competition within the telecoms market.

Speaking on RTÉ Radio, Mr Ahern said it was up to the regulator to establish competition and determine price.

However, he said the Government would intercede to cap the price of line rental if such competition did not exist.

On 13 January, ComReg approved an increase in monthly fixed line rental charges at Eircom, bringing the monthly cost to just under €24. It was the third such increase since the beginning of last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Justice, sweet justice at last. Minister Ahern intends to put his cap on and means business.

P. :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Any Updates on the 13.5% VAT vs the 21% VAT they are currently charging as a result of NTL winning the right to charge 13.5%.

Minister Ahern stated: If the product is not in place by the end of March and if it is not delivering verifiable competition and lower prices by the end of June, I will direct ComReg to take line rental out of the present price CAP, and to set a specific rental cap no greater than the consumer price index.
    <SARCASM>So oreillycom are to be limited to €25/month next year, and €26 the year after, and €27.50 the year after that.

I'm really impressed!
    </SARCASM>
    What ever happened to "cost basis" and "efficient operator" as the basis for the pricing monopoly services?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by STaN
    Any Updates on the 13.5% VAT vs the 21% VAT they are currently charging as a result of NTL winning the right to charge 13.5%.
    IIRC the 13.5% rate was only applicable for the actual install of equipment, it doesnt include anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by Moriarty
    IIRC the 13.5% rate was only applicable for the actual install of equipment, it doesnt include anything else.

Were NTL not charging 13.5% on their "service" i.e. the monthly TV charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

I thought there already was Wholesale Line Rental. It's just so bloody expensive, if you include the money to walk into an exchange, that nobody is stupid enough to bankrupt themselves doing it. Where's Chorus? We'll see when the pie is baked.

Originally posted by flav0rflav
    I thought there already was Wholesale Line Rental. It's just so bloody expensive, if you include the money to walk into an exchange, that nobody is stupid enough to bankrupt themselves doing it.
    Nope, that's LLU - Local Loop Unbundling. It would be the real solution to the Monopoly problem, which is exactly why oreillycom will do everything possible to make sure it never happens.

WLR is pretty much a "paper" process, much like CPS (Carrier Pre-Selection). There's no need for any gear in the exchange, though oreillycom have put all sorts of stumbling blocks in the way of it's implementation. (if oreillycom have their way, only people who get their lines directly from oreillycom will be listed in the phonebook, or by directory enquiries, for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Dermot Ahern is impressive. Issuing Diectives on Flat Rate and line Rental.

But COMREG should be more pro-active.

They are the regulator.

But Dermot Aherns actions are very welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Cork
    But Dermot Aherns actions are very welcome.

What actions Cork ...its all talk so far !

M

Christ, don't encourage it Muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Hah! A talk means a good bit for a minister I reckon. Talking and not following up is one thing to a Regulator with a comfy job but another thing entirely to a Minister who's livelyhood is dependant on how trustworthy he is.

A "talk" from a minister is in real terms a lead-up to a directive, which, in the end, is just a "talk", but one which carries quite a bit of weight. Or law. Whichever.

Don't knock too soon. This guy seems to be on the ball and in all fairness BB in Ireland has moved relatively substatially since he got on the scene. Could you have seen us where we are now by O'Rourke and our friend Etain?

With what I have seen over the last year or so I would be fairly hopeful from this piece of reading that by June we will have a fair movement in line rental prices. Shít even if it is aimed high and he only gets half-way it's still an achievement.

So christ, calm it with the cynicism and lets see how it goes. There'll be plenty of time for critism after it flops. If it flops. And if it succeeds, well at least there'll be less tails between legs.

Originally posted by The Clown Man
    A "talk" from a minister is in real terms a lead-up to a directive, which, in the end, is just a "talk", but one which carries quite a bit of weight. Or law. Whichever.

Don't knock too soon. This guy seems to be on the ball and in all fairness BB in Ireland has moved relatively substatially since he got on the scene. Could you have seen us where we are now by O'Rourke and our friend Etain?
    The problem is that wholesale line rental does not end Eircom's line rental monopoly. It is a bogus solution to the problem.

Sure there will be some undercutting by Esat and other companies, but only by a small margin. The wholesale rates offered by Eircom will still be well above the retail rates offered to the public a year ago and this will limit what they can do. In addition, it will not be in their interest to get the wholesale rate low since then their percentage will also go down.

That is why people are cynical. They are correct to be cynical.

Advertisement