Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

semper currere

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

I haven't registered for anything yet, but there are a couple of 10ks down in West Cork in mid June and the end of June, so I'll probably do one of those. After that, I'm thinking maybe both the Killarney HM in mid July, and the Ballyheigue HM at the start of July. Depends on a few variables, but hopefully I'll get one of each type done at least. How about yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Did the Killarney Maxi last year. Lovely views during the race, well organised but I don't think its great value for money.

I have a 10k next Sunday and the 5 mile at the end of June. After that then it will be time to start hitting the big miles so a half marathon somewhere in July.

Did the Killarney Maxi last year. Lovely views during the race, well organised but I don't think its great value for money.

Yeah, it's a perennial problem, but from my perspective, it's only an hour's drive up the road, and suitably positioned in the calendar. Other than that, I probably wouldn't do it.
    I have a 10k next Sunday and the 5 mile at the end of June. After that then it will be time to start hitting the big miles so a half marathon somewhere in July.

Nice one. That should take some seconds of your pace when it comes to the longer runs. I'm hoping four or five weeks of solid training with a little speed work should leave me in better nick to tackle the 5mile-10k distance bracket later in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

scriba wrote: »
    I'm hoping four or five weeks of solid training with a little speed work should leave me in better nick to tackle the 5mile-10k distance bracket later in the summer.

I am in exactly the same boat. Want to put in a good few weeks speed training and really push for a good time in the 5 mile in Dublin

Sat 26/5/2012

10.5 km in 59:29 @ 5:40/km

This week has been a bit of a blow out as far as running has been concerned. So it was great to get out this morning, in the sweltering heat. Another hour later and I'd have melted into a mass of pasty ginger goo, Steve Staunton Orlando 94 style. Plan is to get an early LSR in tomorrow morning. Today was comfortable, threw in a few LT kms (~5/km) for the craic. It wasn't that much craic.

I'll have to stop posting about 40km weeks being a benchmark, every time I do, I end up doing half that! :rolleyes:

Week (14) | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    May 21st - 27th | 1 | 10.5 km | 117.27 km | 410.98 km

• Advertisement

Sun 15/7/2012

8.22 km in 48:20 @ 5:53/km

Injury-free and somewhat stress-relieved, I got out for the first time in 6 weeks. Better late than never. I felt comfortable and ran a little longer than I had planned. Will do a few short runs this week to get back into the swing of things. Sunshine definitely helped :)

Week (20) | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    July 21st - 27th | 1 | 8.22 km | 8.22 km | 419.2 km [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Welcome back scriba !

Welcome back scriba !

Thanks! I've been climbing the walls. :eek:

So what happened you do you mind me asking. What was the injury ?

So what happened you do you mind me asking. What was the injury ?

Nothing running related thankfully, damaged ribs and shoulder. Attempted to run a few times with it, but it was very uncomfortable. I've been recovered over a week, but today was the first chance I had to get out.

• Advertisement

Ok, after a summer of barely getting out once a week, I am finally back running, since the last weeks of September. I've rediscovered my love for it, just as the weather nose-dives! :)

Quick stats.

Sept. 24th-30th - 4 sessions, 29km.
    Oct 1st to 5th - 3 sessions, 18km.

Doing a lot of gym treadmill and a little bike to complement it, as well as doing some 6km-7km walks with my mum in the evenings (about three a week).

I've targeted the Clon half marathon at the start of December as my comeback race. I'm following Hal Higdon intermediate plan for this (I jumped in at week 2), and I'm hoping to do it in around 1:45 (or at least beat previous half time of 1:49)

Right, off for a hilly morning run...

Might as well keep on top of this posting lark.

My long(ish) run for the week: 11.34 km in 1:07:10 (5:55/km), climb 223 m. Beautiful weather for it, and had a little terrier as a running partner for the first 5km before he bowed out and returned home. :) That's it for running this week, going to do a 6-7 mile walk tomorrow.

And tables!

Last week:

Week (34) | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Sep 24th-30th | 4 | 29.1 km | 61.03 km | 497.05 km

This week:

Week (35) | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Oct 1st-7th | 4 | 29.74 km | 29.74 km | 526.79 km

New week, awful weather, treadmill time. Week 4 of the programme. Today was 6.6km in 38 mins, nice and handy. Finished off with 10k on the bike.

This week:

Week (36) | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Oct 8th-14th | 1 | 6.6 km | 36.34 km | 533.39 km

Enjoying the gym at the moment, although the boredom is surely only round the corner. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

scriba wrote: »
    Ok, after a summer of barely getting out once a week, I am finally back running, since the last weeks of September. I've rediscovered my love for it, just as the weather nose-dives! :)

Welcome back Scriba, I hope your training goes well.

LarMan wrote: »
    Welcome back Scriba, I hope your training goes well.

Me too fella, so far so good.

Gym again, program asked for 35min tempo run, wasn't sure how I was feeling this morning so I started slow and just incremented the pace every km by 20 sec/km. So km 1 was at 6:20/km, and km 6 was at 4:40/km, followed by a 6:00/km warm down to bring it over 4 miles.

So I did 6.5km in just over 38 mins, and followed up with 7.5km on the bike. Another day down, but felt some power for the first time in a long while. Augurs well. :)

This week:

Oct 8th-14th | 2 | 13.1 km | 42.84 km | 539.89 km

6.5km @ ~39:30. Nice easy run.

This week:

Oct 8th-14th | 3 | 19.6 km | 49.34 km | 546.39 km

Fri 12th October

Another easy run 5.0 km @ 30:10.

This week:

Oct 8th-14th | 4 | 24.6 km | 54.34 km | 551.39 km

Have a 7 mile run planned for tomorrow, but my sinuses are all blocked up with a heavy head cold, no doubt due to the rapidly plunging temperatures of the last couple of nights. Hopefully I'll be able to get out there. If not. so be it, I got 2 9km walks in this week also which should help a tiny bit. :)

Wed 17th October

Another easy run 5.0 km @ 30:40.

This week:

My first run since contracting a heavy head cold last Friday, which spread to my chest. I missed last weeks LSR (7 miler) and am starting this week's schedule a day late. I have intervals scheduled for tomorrow, but I'm not breathing well enough yet to do them, with the annoying residual cough still in my chest. Hence maybe 4 miles tomorrow, easy pace, and see how I go. It will definitely be done indoors.

Week (37) | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Oct 15th-21st| 1 | 5.0 km | 59.34 km | 556.39 km

Thurs 18th October

Another easy run 7.0 km @ 41:00.

This week:

Still a wee bit chesty, having to cough once a minute, but all in all not too bad. Feel all the better for doing this.

Week (37) | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Oct 15th-21st| 2 | 12.0 km | 66.34 km | 563.39 km

Leaving for a stag weekend tomorrow, but bringing my running gear so I can get a run in before festivities begin tomorrow evening (while others are hacking bits of fairway into the air). I think 8 mile LSR tomorrow, and if I can manage 3 miles at something resembling 'pace' on Saturday morning, I'll be delighted with my week. Next week, I'll put in the intervals I was too sick to do this week.

• Advertisement

Tues 23rd October

Another easy run 6.5 km @ 37:30.

I'm still coughing, although this was vital for sweating out all the weekend booze. Hopefully this will be the end of that annoying cough.

Week (38) | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Oct 22nd-28th| 1 | 6.5 km | 71.84 km | 569.89 km

Glad to see you back scriba. :)

Wed 24th October

6.5 km, including 7 x 400m intervals at 4:15 min/km pace, with 1 min slow jog breaks in between.

Still a little cough here and there. This was tough enough, but a good indication of where I am, and where I need to be. Hard sessions hard and easy sessions easy!Warm up and warm down was nice and slow.

Oct 22nd-28th| 2 | 13 km | 79.34 km | 576.39 km

Thurs 25th October

8.1 km easy run in 48:29

Sweaty work, but felt ok. The slight tiredness in my legs reminded me that I need to be doing more 5+ mile runs.

Oct 22nd-28th | 3 | 21.1 km | 87.44 km | 584.49 km

Fri 26th October

8.00 km run in 43:58 (incorporating 5k at HMP - 4:57/km)

This was good. I could probably have struggled on with another km at this pace, but was glad to break into a recovery jog. Body is beginning to move nicely now, I need to do more core sessions, and shift 7 kgs.

Oct 22nd-28th | 4 | 29.1 km | 95.44 km | 592.49 km

Sun 28th October

13.34 km run in 1:21:55 Medium slow run

This was good. Nice and easy, plus some decent inclines and a big hill to get the blood pumping. More of that, please!

Oct 22nd-28th | 5 | 42.44km | 108.78 km | 605.83 km

Tue 30th October

8.26 km run in 47:47 Easy pace 5:47/km; including 1.4km 85m hill.

This was easy on the lungs, tough on the legs, but grand afterwards. No real issues, and a lovely cool early winter evening to run in. Beginning to find some rhythm here, and this will easily be my best running month since I started, in terms of run frequency and distance.

Week (39) | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Oct 29th-Nov 4th | 1 | 8.26 km | 117.04 km | 614.09 km

I didn't get out today, but it is the end of the month, so I'm going to start posting a record of outings and total kilometres for each month. It's a good way of highlighting clearly where I fell down earlier in the year, in terms of getting out there, as well as showing that there is huge room for improvement in my training! Here's to a great November, next/comeback race is the Clonakilty HM on Dec 8th.

On another note, like many others I'm sure, I'm powerfully motivated by some of the marathon accounts of boards members at DCM. Congratulations all!

Month | Days | km
    Jan | 0/31 | 0
    Feb | 8/29 | 54.89
    Mar | 13/31 | 126.29
    Apr | 10/30 | 112.53
    May | 9/31 | 117.27
    Jun | 0/30 | 0
    Jul | 2/31 | 13.02
    Aug | 2/31 | 12.02
    Sep | 8/30 | 61.03
    Oct | 16/31 | 117.04
    Nov | 0/31 | 0
    Dec | 0/31 | 0
    Totals | 68/304| 614.09

Thurs 1st November (and it really is...)

9.0 km run in 49:28 2km warm up, 2km warm down and 8 x 400m 4:15/km pace intervals.

Weather was awful, and I still haven't really settled on a place to do intervals yet, so I paid a visit to the gym this morning. The first one was horrible, but they improved by about interval 4, form-wise. I could feel my body tiring, yet my breathing was much more controlled by the end, if that makes sense. Tried keep the recovery times to about a minute, jogging at 9:40/km pace. Pleasing session, job done, but also a reminder of how much work I have to do yet. Loads!

Oct 29th-Nov 4th | 2 | 17.26 km | 9.0 km | 623.09 km

• Advertisement

Sat 3rd November

9.59 km run in 54:22

I ran this in between the dark clouds and threatened bursts of rain. The plan asked for 4 miles @ HM pace, which I'm hoping to be around 5:00/km, or just under. However, my body was extremely uncooperative, for a number of possible reasons: I had steak and pints last night and I started my run with a long, draining hill, which took me ages to recover from. My breathing was all over the place for this. I started running at race pace 3km in, but I couldn't keep it steady, as data from my run tracker showed. I managed just over 1km before feeling like I was going to have a heart attack, before bringing it back to around 5:30-40 pace. I managed another 2km at 5:00 again, before calling it quits and running 2km warmdown back to base. Deeply unsatisfying, but not too worrying considering I managed it last week. I'll try incorporate the pace miles in tomorrows LSR instead.

Oct 29th-Nov 4th | 3 | 26.85 km | 18.59 km | 632.68 km

Advertisement