Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

European Cups, Domestic Cups and Internationals Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Kane-->Pelle done for -4.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

callaway92 wrote: »
    I'm as shocked as you are. To be fair to him, he has played so much this season that a burnout at Southampton was inevitable. Perhaps the rest over the last few games did him good.

Not that there's much relevance there but the lads he won the header against were Jagielka and Smalling, two decent CBs.

Costa out, Pellé in? ;)

Smalling is not a decent CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Markx

Lemlin wrote: »

CIES Football Observatory has ranked him 4th best performing defender in Europe in 2015. He's been in my team this year and been pretty handy for a few FPL points too.

For the record the three ahead of him are Spahic, Demichelis and Hummels.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Aguero scores against Ecuador. Hopefully a sign of things to come at the weekend.

• Advertisement

Markx wrote: »
    CIES Football Observatory has ranked him 4th best performing defender in Europe in 2015. He's been in my team this year and been pretty handy for a few FPL points too.

For the record the three ahead of him are Spahic, Demichelis and Hummels.

He's had decent returns from GWs 25 to 30 where he has returned 40 of his 70 points. Fair play to you if you had him during that period. He's not first choice at United but for injury so I didn't take a punt on him. I also wouldn't expect him to continue those returns. Prior to GW25, he had 30 points in 25 GWs. Terrible for a defender who started the season at 5.5. In terms of defenders 5.6 and under, he's number 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

He's had decent returns from GWs 25 to 30 where he has returned 40 of his 70 points. Fair play to you if you had him during that period. He's not first choice at United but for injury so I didn't take a punt on him. I also wouldn't expect him to continue those returns. Prior to GW25, he had 30 points in 25 GWs. Terrible for a defender who started the season at 5.5. In terms of defenders 5.6 and under, he's number 20.

Do you think Fantasy Football points constitute a good player?

He's a good CB as I said. I don't even know why you're discussing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Using that same sort of logic would mean that Downing is a better footballer than Sterling, Fabregas, Di Maria, Mata, Yaya Toure, etc.

Also not forgetting that Fabianski and Mignolet are better goalkeepers than Courtois :D

This forum relates to Fantasy Football. The discussion you want to have is one for the soccer forum IMO. That's why I posted in relation to his FF points when another posted stated "been in my team this year and been pretty handy for a few FPL points too".

I would put it this way from an FF perspective though - when I see Smalling named in United's team sheet, I wouldn't be upset having a player from the attacking team. For me, his presence weakens their defence and that is why he isn't first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭8-10

This forum relates to Fantasy Football.

No! It relates to all fantasy sports not just football. This thread is for football though I'll give you that...

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    No! It relates to all fantasy sports not just football. This thread is for football though I'll give you that...

As are about 99% of the threads on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sneachtafear

Typical international week gibberish. Man up and Move on.

As are about 99% of the threads on here.

Which is why fantasy games for other sports stay away. Pet peeve of mine. This forum just creates loads and loads of threads all to do with various small things about FPL. Bojan even had his own thread at the start of this year despite being an awful player.

/off-topic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

8-10 wrote: »
    Which is why fantasy games for other sports stay away. Pet peeve of mine. This forum just creates loads and loads of threads all to do with various small things about FPL. Bojan even had his own thread at the start of this year despite being an awful player.

/off-topic

What sports:confused:

If there was a need there would be threads. There are none.

People do not stay away. There are no people.
    And Bojan's thread was closed before he hit the ball anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

wonski wrote: »
    What sports:confused:

If there was a need there would be threads. There are none.

People do not stay away. There are no people.
    And Bojan's thread was closed before he hit the ball anyway.

Rugby for example.

As I already stated, when we first asked for this forum to be opened we've been "denied" an exclusive FPL sub-forum (originally supposed to be in the soccer forum). The compromise we found and agreed with was a Fantasy sports sub-forum in the games forum.

Of course, FPL is the biggest and most popular one. But the way it is currently working in here doesn't encourage other fantasy sports to develop. For the 6 Nations a thread was actually opened in the rugby forum... (in addition to Mr P's one). A couple of suggestions were made in the feedback thread (which is now closed for over 2 months) and I assume the lack of returns from the mods since means no action was seen necessary. I think it won't help other fantasy sports to really develop here but I accept to be either in minority or wrong about it (or both) ;).

I've tried fantasy baseball threads on here multiple times and they got lost off the first page very quickly. Didn't even try this year despite 1 of the boards leagues being really stuck for players, another one wasn't renewed at all, and the keeper league needed to get a new manager in. There's good participation in fantasy sports on Boards outside the FSA forum (American football another), to me it's just rename this FPL and be done with it, it's like the Soccer Manager forum really. (PM me if you want to play Fantasy Baseball)

Also I probably deserve a card here for dragging off topic, sorry

Confirmed #LFC team v @OneRovers: Mignolet, Johnson, Lovren, Sakho, Lucas, Allen, Henderson, Moreno, Sterling, Coutinho, Sturridge

Confirmed #LFC subs v @OneRovers: Jones, Toure, Lambert, Manquillo, Borini, Brannagan, Markovic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Sterling playing off Sturridge rather than wing back I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭amber69

FHFC wrote: »

Yes more wide left than off Sturridge but ahead of Moreno

FHFC wrote:

Yep.
    Lallana hasn't recovered from a groin strain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Liverpool are through. 1-0 win. Coutinho (Henderson).

Sakho off injured (harmstring) after 28 min.

Apparently Mignolet made a couple of decisive saves. But with Skrtel & Sakho out injured the decision to bring him in is not as straightforward as it was a couple of weeks ago...

iroced wrote: »
    Liverpool are through. 1-0 win. Coutinho (Henderson).

Sakho off injured (harmstring) after 28 min.

Apparently Mignolet made a couple of decisive saves. But with Skrtel & Sakho out injured the decision to bring him in is not as straightforward as it was a couple of weeks ago...

He made a few cracking saves. Blackburn really went at Liverpool with two up top in the second half.

I'm the first half, Liverpool had 19 shots and 71% possession! Sturridge hit the bar in the second half but looked rusty.

Arsenal team to play Reading: Szczesny, Debuchy, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Coquelin, Ramsey, Cazorla, Ozil, Alexis, Welbeck

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

spock. wrote: »
    Arsenal team to play Reading: Szczesny, Debuchy, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Coquelin, Ramsey, Cazorla, Ozil, Alexis, Welbeck

Good to se Giroud rested. Need him fit and relaxed for his return.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Sanchez (ozil)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

#AVFC (v @LFC): Given, Bacuna, Baker, Vlaar, Richardson, Westwood, Delph (c), Cleverley, Grealish, N’Zogbia, Benteke. #AVFCLIVE #FACup

Liverpool XI vs. Aston Villa: Mignolet; Can, Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno; Allen, Henderson, Gerrard; Markovic, Coutinho, Sterling. #LFC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Coutinho (Sterling)

1-1 Benteke(Grealish)

2-1 Delph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Liverpool need a goal but they leave Rickie Lambert and Fabio Borini on the bench, Rodgers must have no confidence in them, be interesting to see if he gets rid of them next season, Borini wouldn't leave last season, and Lambert obv moved for the money.

Advertisement