Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fantasy Sports Arena 2015 Feedback thread **Mod warning post 121**

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I am a relative newbie to FSA forum having started contributing about 18 months ago.

I honestly would not make any significant changes to it. There are things that drive me nuts like the 'Austin' thing....or more recently someone jokingly claiming Baines had been subbed. I reacted to that by transferring Baines out there and then....but that is down to me losing my head with Baines. Still, the poster should not have made that false claim.

But we have a good forum here, a good community. The participation in side games and that some posters offer prizes out of the good of their heart is a great testament.
    So leave it as is...but ban those making jokey 'Austin' (or Baines) type posts.

However, we should organise some FSA Beers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Trigger Happy, I wasn't joking, I genuinely thought he was subbed. I was misled by another source. Mistakes happen sometimes, it's human error. And to be honest if you're are making transfers during games, you deserve what you get.

I'd agree with the rest of your post, this is a great forum, I wouldn't change much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

Before this thread closes, I think it might be worth my while saying what I think about the Fantasy Sports Arena forum. In short, it's great!

I first came upon the earliest incarnation of the forum when it was a single thread where formations, transfers and everything else were discussed together. This grew into what we have today which is a fantastic community of people who come together to share knowledge about this fantastic but often frustrating game.

In the year just passed, we had an unpleasant situation which had been threatening to boil over for some time. FutureGuy had found himself alone at the helm of a massive ocean liner in stormy seas that had started its voyage as a modest pleasure craft on relatively calm waters. I have to say he handled this situation well and fairly while remaining a valuable contributing member of the forum. The addition of Nody as a second moderator was an essential step in this growing and evolving forum of this forum.

What's best and most amazing about the forum is the complete willingness of members to share knowledge and opinions despite being many being highly competitive people.

I'd also like to acknowledge the contributions of time and effort by CSF, Lemlin and others in organising the league and cup competitions. It would be far easier not to bother so a big thanks from me.

As regards improvements, I can't think of many. I'm sure the mods will handle any false goal or similar posts through the vigilance of the community. I think the current thread structures/topics work fine with less popular ones dying away fairly quickly.

Thanks all for creating this repository if knowledge for all things FPL. I come here first when I want to find out if Ivanovic's missus is expecting or what brand of fags Szczesny smokes in the shower. It's that good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I think the forum runs very well and runs smoothly.

One thing I'd say is if people are posting early news, such as someone being left out of the squad, or an early starting XI post, they should say where they got it from. Not even having to post a link, but just naming the source so people can determine if it is reliable or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

SantryRed wrote: »
    I think the forum runs very well and runs smoothly.

One thing I'd say is if people are posting early news, such as someone being left out of the squad, or an early starting XI post, they should say where they got it from. Not even having to post a link, but just naming the source so people can determine if it is reliable or not.

Would agree with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Excellent post Tom. The only feedback I'd give about the forum would be the timing of the transfer threads. I think they are started way too soon.

I don't know about the rest of ye but when the 11:30 deadline passes all I want to do is focus on the current gameweek matches first before worrying about what the next gameweek will bring. In my opinion the transfer threads should be started straight after the Saturday evening game, or if no 5:30 game on straight after the 3pms.

Starting them at quarter to 12 in the morning serves no purpose in my view and in all honesty the full picture isn't known until all the matchday 1 games have finished.

My 2 cents. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,821 ✭✭✭✭CSF

tom_k wrote: »
    Before this thread closes, I think it might be worth my while saying what I think about the Fantasy Sports Arena forum. In short, it's great!

I first came upon the earliest incarnation of the forum when it was a single thread where formations, transfers and everything else were discussed together. This grew into what we have today which is a fantastic community of people who come together to share knowledge about this fantastic but often frustrating game.

In the year just passed, we had an unpleasant situation which had been threatening to boil over for some time. FutureGuy had found himself alone at the helm of a massive ocean liner in stormy seas that had started its voyage as a modest pleasure craft on relatively calm waters. I have to say he handled this situation well and fairly while remaining a valuable contributing member of the forum. The addition of Nody as a second moderator was an essential step in this growing and evolving forum of this forum.

What's best and most amazing about the forum is the complete willingness of members to share knowledge and opinions despite being many being highly competitive people.

I'd also like to acknowledge the contributions of time and effort by CSF, Lemlin and others in organising the league and cup competitions. It would be far easier not to bother so a big thanks from me.

As regards improvements, I can't think of many. I'm sure the mods will handle any false goal or similar posts through the vigilance of the community. I think the current thread structures/topics work fine with less popular ones dying away fairly quickly.

Thanks all for creating this repository if knowledge for all things FPL. I come here first when I want to find out if Ivanovic's missus is expecting or what brand of fags Szczesny smokes in the shower. It's that good!
    Thanks for that, always a pleasure.

jebforever wrote: »
    Excellent post Tom. The only feedback I'd give about the forum would be the timing of the transfer threads. I think they are started way too soon.

I don't know about the rest of ye but when the 11:30 deadline passes all I want to do is focus on the current gameweek matches first before worrying about what the next gameweek will bring. In my opinion the transfer threads should be started straight after the Saturday evening game, or if no 5:30 game on straight after the 3pms.

Starting them at quarter to 12 in the morning serves no purpose in my view and in all honesty the full picture isn't known until all the matchday 1 games have finished.

My 2 cents. :)

I'd agree with this. The first two pages of the threads are usually the same 'not sure but i'll probably do x to y' anyway.

I don't understand the rush, either. Its like people posting 'first' under an online article or something, what's the point?

It leads to situations like last weekend where somebody posts the thread a week too early in their rush to get the thread started. Sure it's easy to ignore, but its my only bugbear. I'm sure it's the same few posters all the time as well.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Forgot to add: big thanks to all involved in the running of the forum-wide comps. I know how much of a pain in the hole it can be, so it's much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Its easy to ignore the transfer thread until you are interested in it.

KevIRL wrote: »

I agree. I even said so in my previous post. You could apply that logic to most of the complaints in the thread, though. Just because you can ignore it, doesnt necessarily mean you should. This is the thread for feedback after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

KevIRL wrote: »

I agree with this. I like to know what I want to do before any of the games take place. Granted I won't always stick to this but I really don't see the harm in early opinions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Ok, locking up the thread for summarizing and expanding on the previous bullet points in more detail etc. Summary should be up in a few days depending on work.

Forgot to add; a big thank you to all who participated in giving feedback. It's great to see there's no fundamentally wrong in the forum but rather a big of nip and tuck required so to speak :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement