Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Wright Venue Teen Discos

• 03-02-2012 12:57am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone had their teenagers go to the teenage events here?
    My daughter (14) wants to go. Just wondering if anyone has any experiences of what its like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

My sister in law lets her daughter and son go. Never any problems and the staff seem to be quite good at implementing the no alcohol rule but thats only second hand info im afraid..
    Btw, Her kids are 13 (boy) and 15 (girl).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thanks, I've spoken to a few others & it seems well organised.
    We have agreed to give it a try with a fuw limititations for the first night.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

my son has been and i think it is well run with experiensed staff, but like any other teenage event, the usual rules apply (lift there, lift straight back afterwards) one other point im not sure if it the same in wrights but i know they have what they call a drunk room in the Wesley teenage discos where if they think you are drunk, they take you in there to sober you up, while they ring your parents to come and collect you! A work colleague got the unfortunate phonecall before christmas :o

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The lift there and back is the plan. The drunk room is a very good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

KoolKid wrote: »
    The lift there and back is the plan. The drunk room is a very good idea.
    and apparently the room was full and this was a 2nd year disco, the teans seem to be having more fun that we are

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ismisekatie

im 17 and was all into the wrights venue scene a few years ago....

there will be alcohol at any of these events, but thats no reason to stop your kids going (because lets be honest if they want i, they will get it). from a teenagers point of view ( and i would consider myself quite well rounded :P) i see no benefit not letting you daughter go, as the only thing that will cause is her feeling very excluded on monday morning when her friends are going over the whole night in detail. once you have spoken to her about not drinking etc it would be fine. :)

these well known places have a reputation to protect so they are quite diligent on the calling parents policy, etc.

hope that helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

My daughter has been. As long as you drop off and collect your child I think it's safe enough.

When I went to teen discos we did our drinking before we went in!

An you will also get a good laugh and the get up of some of the young wans!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Gate Automation

It's still safe because my son want go in Wednesday ?

She hasn't been in a while. But anytime she went there were no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

14 year old son's been asked by a friend if he wants to go. He's said yes, but I'm not sure discos would be his "thing", and that he may not actually want to go. Of course I could be wrong, but I think I know him reasonably well.

No prob if he does want to go if it's a properly run thing, BUT...

Am I super-cynical or even slightly "conspiracy-theorist" to be thinking that these teen discos (in a bona fide night club rather than in a local school hall or community centre) are some sort of move or ploy to get kids into the notion of discos & pubs being the (only) place to go to meet people and have a good time, and that drinking is necessary and cool? Probably an extreme analogy, but is it a form of grooming?

I'm no prude, and have done more than my fair share of drinking and all that goes with it, but it all just lost its draw for me at some point. I'd prefer my kids not to grow up thinking - seemingly like most other people - that getting drunk and throwing money away in pubs and nightclubs is a good thing (or the only thing) to be doing.

Mark

• Advertisement
Advertisement