Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PVR for Saorview and Freeview

Options
  • 14-10-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Does anyone have experience with a pvr that works well with both Saorview and Freeview HD. Was looking at the Walker website for details of the WP6500TTR but it doesn't say if it is DVBT2.
    I'm thinking I would have more luck with a Freeview HD branded pvr.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Schintzel wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience with a pvr that works well with both Saorview and Freeview HD. Was looking at the Walker website for details of the WP6500TTR but it doesn't say if it is DVBT2.
    I'm thinking I would have more luck with a Freeview HD branded pvr.

Have never tried one myself but doubt there would be many that will give you both series links on both systems however tv trade has tested the box and reported back the following disadvantages of said box

Disadvantages of the Walker WP6500TTR Saorview+ PVR

It's not a Combo Receiver (Irish Saorview Channels only)
    It's more expensive than standard Saorview boxes due to it's twin tuner technology and built in hard drive
    It has a twin DVB-T tuner, so while it will work fine with Freeview from Northern Ireland & Wales, it will not work with Freeview HD

Source
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/saorview-pvr.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you get good UK Terrestrial reception get Humax HD+ PVR / HDR for Freeview HD and Freeview. It will at least receive Saorview and have some recording functionality. The Walker box is pointless if you get a good Welsh or N.I. Signal.

Series link is likely unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

In certain Tesco stores in the UK this was selling for £67 last week. I don't have any experience of the brand so not sure about compatibility... http://www.tesco.com/direct/icecrypt-t2400-freeview-hd-set-top-box-and-pvr-1tb/208-2927.prd

I let the opportunity to snap one up pass me by! Anyone else got any reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Schintzel

Reception from Divis here is excellent, much better than Camlough which is a lot closer. Since the person who asked me about this specifically mentioned recording UK channels I think I will recommend the Humax HDR-FOX T2.

Thanks to all who replied. Since I'll probably have to do the setup if they go ahead I'll post back what transpires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Schintzel wrote: »
    Reception from Divis here is excellent, much better than Camlough which is a lot closer. Since the person who asked me about this specifically mentioned recording UK channels I think I will recommend the Humax HDR-FOX T2.

Thanks to all who replied. Since I'll probably have to do the setup if they go ahead I'll post back what transpires.

Have one myself. Set country to England, not Ireland or you'll lose series link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Have one myself. Set country to England, not Ireland or you'll lose series link.

Does the Humax hold both SV and FV on the EPG at one time and allow timer recordings from both. I thought there were problems with this, is it fixed now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Does the Humax hold both SV and FV on the EPG at one time

No. One goes blank when the other is selected.
    and allow timer recordings from both

Yes, but I've had problems with SV recordings previously. Some failed, so had to use the 'padding' feature which adds extra time to the start & finish of a programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 iscom

Hi
    Just came across this posting and not sure if this will help. .I have just bought a LG HR935 500gb freeview+HD recorder with a 3D bluray player and built in WiFi incl Smart TV it has twin tuners and yes it gives the Irish TV guides so set the it to record a movies with was on RTE and TV3 at same time and it did without any problems only bought it a few days ago so not tried series yet but it does copy to to usb

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anything i record on the uk channels i can play back on my pc

but anything i record from the irish channels i can't play back on my pc :confused:

is this some copyright codec ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

marclt wrote: »
    In certain Tesco stores in the UK this was selling for £67 last week. I don't have any experience of the brand so not sure about compatibility... http://www.tesco.com/direct/icecrypt-t2400-freeview-hd-set-top-box-and-pvr-1tb/208-2927.prd

I let the opportunity to snap one up pass me by! Anyone else got any reviews?

Well its gone now:( Similar model is c£300.00 on Amazon.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

fryup wrote: »

but anything i record from the irish channels i can't play back on my pc :confused:

It is a problem with your PC's operating system ...... probably missing codec.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

fryup wrote: »

You are missing suitable MPEG4 codec. In UK only HD uses MPEG4, all else there is MPEG2, except N.I. Minimux

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭joceadaigh

We have a 2011 Panasonic Freeview HD+ HDD and Bluray recorder. All functions work on saorview. Saorview stations are stored in the 800's but you can resort the channel list as you like.

This appears to be the latest model
    http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/home-entertainment/blu-ray-and-dvd/dmr-bwt735eb.html

Advertisement