Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people think our immigrants will vote?

• 12-06-2008 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

I'm sort of surprised this hasn't come up before but since 1 in 10 Irish people are now from abroad how will this affect the outcome?

They are a large group which I haven't heard much about? This echoes what was said in another thread about the vote being won or lost in dublin

My guess it would be more yes. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

johnnyq wrote: »
    I'm sort of surprised this hasn't come up before but since 1 in 10 Irish people are now from abroad how will this affect the outcome?

They are a large group which I haven't heard much about? This echoes what was said in another thread about the vote being won or lost in dublin

My guess it would be more yes. Any thoughts?

Hmm. Only Irish citizens resident in Ireland (or abroad on official business) can vote in referendums.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Unlike elections, only citizens can vote in a referendum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

But that's what I mean, not our friends from Poland but actual Irish citizens who have other origins?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Well if they originate from the EU I would say they percentage that vote yes would be massive. That said the percentage immigrants from the EU who bothered to get Irish citizenship would be small, why would they bother? They have the freedom to live and work here and they enjoy the same rights as Irish citizens bar voting of course.

Outside the EU haven't a clue but I would suspect yes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

But that's what I mean, not our friends from Poland but actual Irish citizens who have other origins?

Not sure how signifigant a group that is but [sweeping generalisation] I would imagine that they would be slightly less bothered about issues around neutrality and abortion for example and more likely to vote yes.[/sweeping generalisation]

• Advertisement

Um ok i've just realised that my thread title is a bit stupid since most immigrants aren't actually Irish. Super D'Oh. It's the tiredness setting in.

To claw back something then, remember our refugees from Africa who became citizens due to the child in ireland rule. How might they vote? if at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I'm voting no(or well the rents are), but like I'm Irish but with some Russian origin.

Do you mean people who are like descended from the Vikings?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

As in "naturalised" Irish citizens? There only seem to be a few thousand around the country apart from the US-born.
    To claw back something then, remember our refugees from Africa who became citizens due to the child in ireland rule. How might they vote? if at all?

There's only been something like 10,000 of those applications granted over the last decade. I don't know how many would necessarily still be in the country. Not really a significant demographic, which I imagine is why the question hasn't come up.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I'm voting no(or well the rents are), but like I'm Irish but with some Russian origin.

Feckin Communists, never have a good word to say about the EU :D

Do you mean people who are like descended from the Vikings?:D
    Good point. We have irish citizens with roots from abroad too. Don't forget them!

• Advertisement

Perhaps Irish American citizens would be more inclined towards a Libertas-like position of no?

marco_polo wrote: »
    Perhaps Irish American citizens would be more inclined towards a Libertas-like position of no?

I don't know. My mate from school who is an American of Jewish decent (no Irish) and has a degree in political science and is an officer in the Marine Corps is a strong supporter of a USofE.

sink wrote: »
    USofE.
    *shudders*

*shudders*

He joined up straight after the leaving cert 9 months after 9/11 as he felt deeply that he needed to do all he could to help his country in it's hour of need. Which I think was very noble of him. He doesn't agree with the Iraq war and thinks US strategy in Afganistan is wrong, just because he's a marine does not mean he is a bad person.

Come off it sink, it's not him or his Us roots i'm giving out about. It's the idea of a united states of europe.

Please note: I repeat this does not apply to that brave guy. I do not think he is a bad person. It was all about the politics of a eurostate. OK?

I'll adjust my quote to make it even clearer.

Come off it sink, it's not him or his Us roots i'm giving out about. It's the idea of a united states of europe.

Please note: I repeat this does not apply to that brave guy. I do not think he is a bad person. It was all about the politics of a eurostate. OK?

I'll adjust my quote to make it even clearer.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, he gets a lot of abuse when he comes over here to visit . Many people you wouldn't expect turn their nose up at a US marine. I don't agree with him on the USofE thing either, but he is from the USA so his views would be biased.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, he gets a lot of abuse when he comes over here to visit . Many people you wouldn't expect turn their nose up at a US marine. I don't agree with him on the USofE thing either, but he is from the USA so his views would be biased.
    So we're cool.

I'm not actually against the US, for general information purporses. I have several relatives in Boston and there are parts of american life I admire and parts I don't.

I do think it's a pity the US defence force troops are received badly it's not like they decide whether to go to war or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I'm an immigrant and I'm a No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

If I could be it would be a yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

He joined up straight after the leaving cert 9 months after 9/11 as he felt deeply that he needed to do all he could to help his country in it's hour of need. Which I think was very noble of him. He doesn't agree with the Iraq war and thinks US strategy in Afganistan is wrong, just because he's a marine does not mean he is a bad person.

to me , that would in most cases mean he was a good person and a great citizen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

I was born in England of Irish parents and have been here since I was 6 months old, so you would all think me Irish, but I would be classed an an immigrant, and I'm voting yes.

I find it very sad that, as shown in the opinion poll with the leading no vote, quite a few people are voting no because "there are too many eastern europeans around".

Appreciating that the OP has acknowledged his error as regards thinking all the new immigrants might vote, this also shows that we don't really understand how our political system works. Many others are going to be thinking that they will vote.

Ix.

Advertisement