Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Good to hear from you Brens. So, new meds maketh the man. And the first thing you do is go mad and frighten the community with your new fingernails and skin. That reminds me, I watched Edward Scissorhands today! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I remember the last time my skin and nails fell off. I turned into a jellyfish. It was just after that nice cup of mushroom tea the kindly oul hippy gave me at an arts festival somewhere in Cornwall.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Your past is much more colourful than mine, OG. Hope you don't still get flashbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

OldGoat wrote: »
    I remember the last time my skin and nails fell off. I turned into a jellyfish. It was just after that nice cup of mushroom tea the kindly oul hippy gave me at an arts festival somewhere in Cornwall.

Err yes, sorry about that it was a concoction to help the cows give milk. I couldn't remember until now where I had put it or who I had given it to.

Last time I had fresh milk the cow slipped and fell on my head, I also got a pat on the back.

Welcome back Brenzy me ol' mate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

OldGoat wrote: »

I thought you were looking a bit 'off' last time I met you....

421877_502536469781464_1713511352_n.jpg?oh=fb630a6bafb26ccb6f2a1c991c3a5319&oe=5622E2B7&__gda__=1445821047_c4e43fe744dc8b950d60fd274a71ef16

• Advertisement

Yes Steve that tea was potent. but sod that, have you seen the size of the dragon in the bathroom?

Could someone educate me as to what Absynth is?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Horrible. :eek:

You've tried it? Why do I keep thinking of meths and winos?

I'm not sure you would say I have tried it, no more than a sip, and as it is aniseed flavored I hated it. I like aniseed, but not things flavoured with it, I'm awkward like that!

I think it has a bad reputation as it is very strong and I think it was thought to be hallucinogenic but apparently it is not. It won't be giving me dreams of pink elephants anyway, I can think of nicer tipples!

• Advertisement

I only heard about it just recently and wondered just what it is and if anyone had tried it, were you just tiddily, or drunk, or worse?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    looksee wrote: »
    Horrible. :eek:

That's what I was going to post! yuk..

It's a herbal drink popular in Austria and Switzerland, tastes like a mixture of aniseed and pigsiht but is supposedly a good 'digestif'. There's a variation of it called Unterberg that you have to drink in the Austrian ski bars when you lose the game of bar bingo... I've gotten quite used to it :D

Think I have enough information about it now. Boards is soooo educational. :)

it is greenish and tastes a bit aniseed like. It was the forerunner of such drinks as Pernod which taste similar. It was made illegal in many European countries due to people over indulging and apparently going mad.

Steve wrote: »
    That's what I was going to post! yuk..

It's a herbal drink popular in Austria and Switzerland, tastes like a mixture of aniseed and pigsiht but is supposedly a good 'digestif'. There's a variation of it called Unterberg that you have to drink in the Austrian ski bars when you lose the game of bar bingo... I've gotten quite used to it :D

Underberg is good for the morning after the night before type of upset tum.

In UK it used to be sold behind bars in a bandolier type of holder. Small bottles wrapped in brown paper. I have some in my fridge as we speak.

Rubecula wrote: »
    it is greenish and tastes a bit aniseed like. It was the forerunner of such drinks as Pernod which taste similar. It was made illegal in many European countries due to people over indulging and apparently going mad.

Seriously? If someone did overindulge in their younger days, would it have had any lasting effect, or does it wear off?

Seriously? If someone did overindulge in their younger days, would it have had any lasting effect, or does it wear off?

Well Vincent Van Gogh cut one of his ears off under the influence, but honestly I have no idea how long the effects last.

I get the message. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Rubecula wrote: »
    Well Vincent Van Gogh cut one of his ears off under the influence, but honestly I have no idea how long the effects last.

well I don't think it grew back ;-)

BBDBB wrote: »
    well I don't think it grew back ;-)

Sometimes you lol meaning answer appreciated, other times you actually do laugh - that was one! :D

• Advertisement

still chuckling

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I occasionally feel that I'm the only non French person in the entire world who likes anise and pastis drinks. The real appeal of absinthe is not so much the flavour but the 'magical' transformation and use of alchemists apparatus to change the colour from emerald green to an off creamy white with the addition of a few drops of iced water carefully dripped through a lump of sugar.
    planeteyetraveler.com_.jpg

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

As I expected, one must be a qualified apothecary in order to brew this stuff.

I am in dire need of tea today. I just want to sit down, put my feet up, sip my tea, and relax for a while. So, who will be mother?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

I just want to sit down, put my feet up, sip my tea, and relax for a while. So, who will be mother?

Yes, it's one of those days! I accept full responsibility for today's rain - after lunch, I washed my car and, before it even saw a shammy / chamois, the Heavens opened. My fault - mea culpa. I have one of those super-duper shammys that doesn't go crispy when it dries. Unfortunately it doesn't absorb water either so I now have wrists like ankles from wringing it out.

My brurdder-in-law and I are heading west tomorrow - hence the need for a clean car. He's on chemo too and doing very well. We haphazardly decide, every now and then, to GO somewhere / anywhere, with no plans or pre-booking and just let it happen. When we find a hotel with a nice restaurant, we enquire after rooms and sign in as the "Chemical Brothers". We'll probably head West so, if you see a clean BrensBenz with two baldies in the front seats, give us a wave, preferably with ALL of your fingers.

Anyway, I believe that Dublin won the Awe Loyerland yesterday. That surprised me because, usually if / when "we" win, hoards of cars with horns blaring and with those hilarious flags flying from their windows, clog up our lane for hours on their way to the local Gehh club. But all was quiet here last night so I assumed the other team won. Apparently, as a resident of Co. Dublin, I'm allowed to feel superior to the rest of the population of Ireland for days or weeks or, at least until everyone is sick to death of hearing about "Sam's" travels.

However, I look forward to feeling superior to the population of the Earth if the Irish rugby team do well in the World Cup. Here's wishing them well.

I believe there is a HOME coming partay for the team tonight! They won't have to travel so far for it. :D

I for one, am really enjoying the rugby. Sadly, work schedule interferes a lot.

Hurling ..... I love the game. Way back when I still lived in Liverpool my priest was trying to get me to play..... sadly I never did. Anyway with my family originating in Dublin I became a sort of Dub supporter. I was watching a game on TV and the commentator said that to ply for a county team in Ireland you had to be born in that county. No idea how true this is. BUT irealised that despite the family history, as I was born in Liverpool I would never play for Dublin. (Not that I would ever have been good enough anyway, but the thought was there, I am too old and infirm now anyway)

I found, happily that there is a team in Liverpool, it is a Ladies team but it is a nice shirt, so I ordered one from O'Neill's. I only ordered it on Saturday and it arrived today. Great service to be fair and I have a great shirt for the Liverpool Wolf Tones .... Look it up, it is a cracking looking shirt.

By the way has anyone seen Chucken lately?

Hurling ..... I love the game. Way back when I still lived in Liverpool my priest was trying to get me to play..... sadly I never did. Anyway with my family originating in Dublin I became a sort of Dub supporter. I was watching a game on TV and the commentator said that to ply for a county team in Ireland you had to be born in that county. No idea how true this is. BUT I realised that despite the family history, as I was born in Liverpool I would never play for Dublin. (Not that I would ever have been good enough anyway, but the thought was there, I am too old and infirm now anyway)

I found, happily that there is a team in Liverpool, it is a Ladies team but it is a nice shirt, so I ordered one from O'Neill's. I only ordered it on Saturday and it arrived today. Great service to be fair and I have a great shirt for the Liverpool Wolf Tones .... Look it up, it is a cracking looking shirt.

By the way has anyone seen Chucken lately?

I thought she was travelling incognito. Haven't you come across her on the airwaves Rube?

• Advertisement

I thought she was travelling incognito. Haven't you come across her on the airwaves Rube?

Not seen either her or her O/H in a while and the station has had to close down for the rest of the year. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement