Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

24V-12V CAMPERVAN

Options
  • 20-04-2010 7:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi Guys
    Im still converting this truck but its getting there ;-) can anyone tell me if they have taken 12V from a 24V to use for lighting etc...
    Is it ok to do it this way, should i take 12v from 1 battery or take 1 wire from each side of both batteries ?
    Thanks for all your help

www.touringcampervan.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 doubledecker

I put in a step down converter... 24v to 12v in my bus... and have had no problems.....
    Think it's best to take 24v from the batteries to keep them healthy and drain them evenly.
    What I used is similar to the link below.....
    hope this helps..

http://cgi.ebay.ie/DC-DC-Power-Supply-Step-Down-Converter-24V-12V-10A-/150427104054

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Or for the lights you could put two 12 V bulbs (must be same type/Wattage) in series and each would have 12V across it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MrGadget

I put in a step down converter... 24v to 12v in my bus... and have had no problems.....
    Think it's best to take 24v from the batteries to keep them healthy and drain them evenly.
    What I used is similar to the link below.....
    hope this helps..

http://cgi.ebay.ie/DC-DC-Power-Supply-Step-Down-Converter-24V-12V-10A-/150427104054

Thanks DoubleDecker.
    Could i wire this 24v-12v down converter straight to a 12v leisure battery? would that trickle charge the 12v leisure battery ?
    Another thing..does this unit use any power to convert down to 12v ?
    many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 30 doubledecker

MrGadget wrote: »
    Thanks DoubleDecker.
    Could i wire this 24v-12v down converter straight to a 12v leisure battery? would that trickle charge the 12v leisure battery ?
    Another thing..does this unit use any power to convert down to 12v ?
    many thanks

Not too sure about the trickle charge from the converter to a 12v battery... I'd imagine its not such a good idea, but maybe someone with with more info will comment.
    The converter has a little light on it... other than that I don't think it uses too much power... tiny if anything...... I have a 'main' switch that cuts off any power to the converter when I'm not using the bus, so not really an issue.....
    :)

Advertisement