Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

In the Works Concept.

• 09-09-2015 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

After quite a long time playing Open World games and running a quite successful server management and hosting service for gamer.

Myself and a Partner from the UK have decided to launch a Free to Play Open world Life simulator Online Experience, Now its early days and we have started working on a demo to launch soon i just want some your your guys opinions on the concept.

Its Unity Based and we will be using Unity Assets and some assets we have created,

The game will be free and will provide a fun relaxed gaming experienced we will be running the servers from UK London from my Partner Company.

Sorry if their is any Grammy issues iv just copied it from the Locked Site and i haven't really looked over it total yet.

Concept needs more adding to it but we are starting on a smaller version 0f the idea and building up to were we want it.

The Game will be totally Player driven.

Concepts
    Overview

Free to Play
    As of to date on release

Start with nothing in an open world choose a path that will lead you down many roads that can be turned upside down in a heartbeat.

Be that struggling shop owner that turns into the local crime lord by a necessity to survive because a corrupted police and government system forces him to.
    But remember crime fine’s prisons exist.
    The possibility are endless your imagination is the limits, It's your life live it how you want.

All Player will start as Civilian with a small bank account and custom traits from what you have chosen in the creation screen.
    You start in a new town where you have just moved to for a fresh start.
    The Player will have to start choosing his life straight away be a humble self employed shop owner, Truck Driver, Taxi, Or any service provider the choice is yours its your life. Buy stock run and maintain your store and build your business buy your home upgrade it get married start a family,
    Or Go down a life of crime provide store owner with black market items bully extort and rise through the crime ranks start your own crime rings bribe kill do whatever it take to reach the top. Organised fight nights provide the city with ladies of the night buy business and open brothels hire other players to help run your empire.
    You have seen the city you want to make your home degrade enlist in the Police Fire or Health services to help the home you wish to create, Stop the crime rings protect the shop owners or do nothing accept bribes be a good or bad cop the choice is yours.
    Rise through the city ranks and become mayor and create your own little playground,

FYI After Demo launch we will be looking to expand the team comment for more info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Hi AllThingsCP. It sounds like an interesting concept, but the thing that jumps out at me is scope. It sounds massive in a frightening way.

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but suggesting thinking about the amount of work that's going to be involved in scripting all these careers, shop owner, taxi, crime lord etc, not to mention creating a living, breathing city, a prison simulation, home & family mechanics. There are half a dozen games or more in here.

There are numerous problems with making something this big. Apart from what will likely be 10's of thousands of hours work, keeping massive amounts of code organised and functional, and staying motivated in the face of an increasingly complex project, the fact you are working on so many game elements means it will be difficult to commit enough time to make any of them shine.

The honeymoon period of making a game can be deceptive, there's loads of motivation. It will seem pretty easy, and progress will be fast, because you're just sketching out the basics. From my experience to date, this doesn't last.

I'd suggest looking into the development costs and man hours it took for something like the sims, then consider the scale of your project compared to the sims.

As a suggestion, I'd narrow it down to single career (perhaps shop keeper) on a single city block, and see how that goes. There's still 1-2 years work in doing something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Hi AllThingsCP. It sounds like an interesting concept, but the thing that jumps out at me is scope. It sounds massive in a frightening way.

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but suggesting thinking about the amount of work that's going to be involved in scripting all these careers, shop owner, taxi, crime lord etc, not to mention creating a living, breathing city, a prison simulation, home & family mechanics. There are half a dozen games or more in here.

There are numerous problems with making something this big. Apart from what will likely be 10's of thousands of hours work, keeping massive amounts of code organised and functional, and staying motivated in the face of an increasingly complex project, the fact you are working on so many game elements means it will be difficult to commit enough time to make any of them shine.

The honeymoon period of making a game can be deceptive, there's loads of motivation. It will seem pretty easy, and progress will be fast, because you're just sketching out the basics. From my experience to date, this doesn't last.

I'd suggest looking into the development costs and man hours it took for something like the sims, then consider the scale of your project compared to the sims.

As a suggestion, I'd narrow it down to single career (perhaps shop keeper) on a single city block, and see how that goes. There's still 1-2 years work in doing something like this.

Your right and we did, We reduce the world massively. We decided to maintain the Police and Robbers ideas with minimal work toward the Civilian aspect as of yet. The world has been restricted to a small town.

Currently working modeling and rigging 20 Police and 20 Robbers. Cheeky i know but we bought the Civilian assets and plan on implement them later this year.

Basic Rough Overview from the planner

Overview
    Cops and Robbers takes that childhood game. pumps it full of action in a open world never ending match where players take the roles of Police, Robbers, Medics, Or Civilian

The World in-game city will have grid zone that act as capture zone were your gang can capture and hold it earn cash with these zones and defend them will place-able objects. But remember gangs have to make the choice to work together to take over the city.
    Or play as a Police officer and try to protect the zone along with the innocence people inside rise through the Police or Gang ranks unlock better weapons cars and clothing. Rising up through the ranks gives player the chance to open their own Police station or Gangs enlist players and pay them but keep them loyal to you or else.

Police will earn more points for arresting a gang member and then brings him to prison, Once in jail the prisoner may riot and escape or a friendly gang may attacked it and break them out,

Gang member may walk around as general Civilian players Police can only interfere if the person is breaking the law.
    The game will have four Factions Police, Medics, Civilian, Gangs two of the factions are N/A

Medic
    Civilian

functionality will be acted to both of the above in terms of role's, Missions, Ranks, Work commences mid 2016 on the above two.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 oisincar

Sounds great, still possibly very complicated but.. Good luck!

One thing that strikes me and hopefully is a small problem is that if i saw those 4 classes.
    Police,
    Medics,
    Civilian,
    Gangs.

Everything except gangs doesn't sound very exciting. Especially medics and civilian. I'd want to be part of the action! I don't really understand how the other roles work so i don't know.

oisincar wrote: »
    Sounds great, still possibly very complicated but.. Good luck!

One thing that strikes me and hopefully is a small problem is that if i saw those 4 classes.
    Police,
    Medics,
    Civilian,
    Gangs.

Everything except gangs doesn't sound very exciting. Especially medics and civilian. I'd want to be part of the action! I don't really understand how the other roles work so i don't know.

We Ran a Modded version and Medic was a massive hit some player enjoy healing others. And earn a income on each heal, That can be spend upgrading a variety of Items.

The Main two Action pack roles would be Police and Robbers, But we have many ideas to incorporate the other two
    but the sheer scale is scary like you said but its not a single person thankfully their is 6 of us and dealing with specific jobs
    General Low Level Police Officer. Version *1

https://gyazo.com/7539f093f5ee19ca42055dd3586ba6c4

Fuse and Maximo have been fantastic for allowing us to create brilliant test models for the demo

• Advertisement

Hello All, We are seeking a <snip>

MOD-EDIT:
    Please refer to the charter regarding advertising & employment.

Advertisement