Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM Punk Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Why does EVERYTHING have to be in here?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

It's just a snippet of Punk news so i put it in the CM Punk thread. I'd much rather have one thread with all news on the same topic than multiple small threads. A one stop shop if you will. If you're annoyed about it I'll put it back :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

According to Dave Meltzer in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, there were actually six different scripts written for RAW – one of which would have resulted in Triple H laying out CM Punk with a pedigree.

JESUS CHRIST!

How could that concept have even been thought about. That would have been enough to turn me off Raw tbh. I've still not forgiven Smackdown for the Christian two day reign but that would have turned me off Raw even quicker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

How do wwe have the time to do 6 different scripts. I always assumed they sat around & discussed where everything was going in the long term and wrote a script detailing that. Assuming Punk was in at least 1 of them they knew his comeback was a possibility and what he did on Raw would hardly of taken hours of thought & writing.

GTR63 wrote: »
    How do wwe have the time to do 6 different scripts. I always assumed they sat around & discussed where everything was going in the long term and wrote a script detailing that. Assuming Punk was in at least 1 of them they knew his comeback was a possibility and what he did on Raw would hardly of taken hours of thought & writing.

Every creative team member writes an entire script for Raw/Smackdown and they then they decide on the best one or combine them or Vince just screams at them to rewrite it again. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Awh, bless.

Nope, WWE is becoming increasingly famous for barely thinking two weeks ahead, let alone sitting down and planning out long term. The problem comes that they write a script for Raw on Friday, change it saturday, change it again Sunday and change it again on Monday, before one final change of script comes before the show airs...

Trips is a smart wrestling guy, when he gets settled in hopefully we'll get some long term booking and stay the course. He headed the last overseas tour and people said it was a much more relaxed, smoother affair. That is if he's actually in charge now, lol.

I'm willing to bet the Smackdown script doesn't get tampered with constantly cause at least they seem to know where they are headed & its a very simple show to keep up with.

I'm willing to bet the Smackdown script doesn't get tampered with cause at least they seem to know where they are headed their & its a very simple show to keep up with.

Smackdowns does work differently for the reasons youve said, it isnt the flagship or live and it is after an exhausting live show the night before.

When Michael Hayes was Smackdown Head Writer he would tell the writing team what he wants and they wrote it up. So writers had less creative input.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

rovert wrote: »
    Source: The Wrestling Observer

BOWN DOWN TO THE KING :rolleyes:

f*ckin hell! if that had happened there would have been uproar - regardless of "making hunter heel" bullsh!t it would just be a joke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,852 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

good fúcking grief.

i suppose we don't know if HHH supported the idea of him pedigreeing the biggest thing in wrestling, or whether he had a part on vetoing it.

his 2003 behaviour makes us all believe this may be the case.

can you imagine?

in one foul swoop, all the aura and build you've put into this new potential megastar would have been destroyed.

and i don't think there's an ounce of hyperbole in that.

listening to the BS report, it seems Punk has a lot of say in what happens to his character now, so i don't think we're going to see any shíte happen to him.

most of those scripts would have been written by brown-nosers who are trying to suck up to HHH, and give him scripts that they think he will like and approve; ironically vindicating everything Punk has said :p

so, so happy they did what they did now.

and FWIW, i don't think Punk came back too early. he's better on TV than not, and Summerslam's coming. the one thing they could have maybe done is have him front row at the event as some suggested, but fúck it, i prefer Punk properly back.

the key now is Summerslam, and how it's booked. it doesn't matter if Punk wins so much, but it matters how he wins/loses. it might even be better to give it to Cena,
    as Alberto is the plan for all intents and purposes.
    ...then have Punk focus on a feud (non-wrestling hopefully) with HHH.

and from what's been heard from Punk, he seems delighted to be back now, and actually seems to believe maybe that keeping him off TV for longer probably wouldn't have been the best idea.

SlickRic wrote: »
    listening to the BS report, it seems Punk has a lot of say in what happens to his character now, so i don't think we're going to see any shíte happen to him.

Punk also said he was dodging bullets all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,339 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope Punk retains at Summerslam I think he deserves a lengthy reign

I hope so too. I really don't know if he'll escape the fued with Cena with the belt; but he really should - new stars need to be made and Punk's proven on the mic and in the ring. I guess it's up to HHH now. Hopefully Punk will be defending the WWE title at WM. But if it's against HHH it wouldn't need it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

It shouldn't have been a Pedigree, it should've been a Pepsi Plunge onto the title belt. Would've been worth it for the internet reaction.:pac:

Punk also said he was dodging bullets all the time.

i have faith that he'll continue to dodge them, because of the said sway he now has.

i honestly don't think he'd have signed if he didn't think he'd be able to have a level of control on the direction of his character.

Punk knows this is a vital period, and is his chance to really establish himself as the next thing.

he may have to work hard to do it, but he wouldn't have signed if he wasn't willing i don't think!

:D

I'd generally say "you're reading too much into this" but if Cult of Personality was Punk's theme, I'd say he chose it very carefully to represent his character.

Just wiki'ed "Cult of Personality". It's actually a term!
    A cult of personality arises when an individual uses mass media, propaganda, or other methods, to create an idealized and heroic public image, often through unquestioning flattery and praise. Cults of personality are usually associated with dictatorships. It is also asserted in everyday situations where popularity is used to advocate conformity to philosophies and lifestyles, even products and attitudes by way of peer pressure and herd mentality.
    Well I thought that was interesting lol.

definitely.

he has said as much.

plus he's a great believer that if a character is taking a new direction, or goes to another level, then all the outside stuff about the character needs to change with it; including the music.

he's very considered.

even the way he came out through the curtain on Monday, geeing the crowd up etc, was a noticeable departure from his persona pre-MITB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Pentecost

He said it in the podcast that the new theme is important to him and he believes it signifies the new level his character is now at. He also said for people to quit whining and just watch where they go with it over the next few weeks, it's only getting started!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

I thought this quote from the article Tinie linked to was great;
    He’s (Punk) allowed boards of directors and chief operating officers and a tournament full of guys and a backstage full of champagne sprayers and John f**king Cena to go through the motions so he can waltz back in with his ROH theme song and rub their pointlessness in their faces

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

jaykhunter wrote: »
    "Cult of Personality". It's actually a term!

That would explain all the images of figureheads like nixon etc in his video.

I'd generally say "you're reading too much into this" but if Cult of Personality was Punk's theme, I'd say he chose it very carefully to represent his character.

Just wiki'ed "Cult of Personality". It's actually a term!

Someone didnt take Leaving Cert History :P

Apparently they are lining up Punk vs HHH at Mania next year.
    Its mentioned almost randomly halfway through this link.
    http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/headlines/Where_Is_Mike_Adamle_Triple_H_Heel_Turn_RAW_G.php
    I'm looking forward to that if its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,339 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/headlines/Where_Is_Mike_Adamle_Triple_H_Heel_Turn_RAW_G.php

SCSA would have been better

That wasnt in the Observer.

Although it'd be awesome to do on the night, I'd imagine WWE would save Austin/Punk for next year's Mania. (And do Taker/Cena for WM30 for his 20-0/retirement)
    Someone didnt take Leaving Cert History tongue.gif

dropped history the day i finished my junior cert wink.gif

That wasnt in the Observer.

I'm only posting what i'm seeing,I wouldn't get my hopes up for Austin.Punk is a face now & I doubt they'll be turning him again anytime soon.

Rock and Cena are both face and they're wrestling at Mania! Austin/Punk could just do the 'faces trying to turn each other heel' schtick which is frankly really awesome. Both would be crazy over.

Rock and Cena are both face and they're wrestling at Mania! Austin/Punk could just do the 'faces trying to turn each other heel' schtick which is frankly really awesome. Both would be crazy over.

I can't see them doing 2 face vs face matches although the fans would love both matches. I think Austin vs Punk MAY happen somewhere down the line but right now i'd be suprised if it isn't Punk vs HHH at Mania or at least in one of the 83 cards wwe has for Mania in their head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I hope the rumours of Punk - HHH at mania are true just so they've got a plan as to where this is all going!

Advertisement