Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garage Exemption

• 09-10-2013 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have plans to build a garage on my property. I am trying to ensure it will be exempt from planning permission.
    It will not be attached to the house and will be well behind the front wall of my house. It will be less than the 25sqms floor space and less than 4m in height. I think I have followed all the necessary regulations in making it exempt from planning permission.

My question is: Is it necessary to put a garage type door in? I had no plans to as I never intend to house a car or anything bigger than a lawnmower in it. I was just going to use a standard 900mm wide door. Is there any regulations relating to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Ramonapixie

It should be exempt as long as you note the following;

No such structure shall be constructed, erected or placed forward of the front wall of a
    house.
    • The total area of such structures constructed, erected or placed within the curtilage of a
    house shall not, taken together with any other such structures previously constructed,
    erected or placed within the said curtilage, exceed 25 square metres.
    • The construction, erection or placing within the curtilage of a house of any such
    structure shall not reduce the amount of private open space reserved exclusively for the
    use of the occupants of the house to the rear or to the side of the house to less than 25
    square metres.
    • The external finishes of any garage or other structure constructed, erected or placed to
    the side of a house, and the roof covering where any such structure has a tiled or slated
    roof, shall conform with those of the house.
    • The height of any such structure shall not exceed, in the case of a building with a tiled
    or slated pitched roof, 4 metres or, in any other case 3 metres.
    • The structure shall not be used for human habitation or for the keeping of pigs, poultry,
    pigeons, ponies or horses, or for any other purpose other than a purpose incidental to
    the enjoyment of the house as such.

If you have a 2nd garden structure, you must include that in the 25m2. A garage has a door that can facilitate the housing of a car, otherwise it is not a garage, more like a shed. Hope this helps. I assume also that the structure isnt protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sherlyguns

Thanks Ramonapixie.

Advertisement