Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Barn find Glastron ssv178

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

fergal.b wrote: »
    I can do a lot of things but walking on water is not one of them :)

Canal locks are a good place to con the water spirits. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭insebayguy

I keep finding new and innovative ways to stalk you Fergal ;) Just figured out how to use that 'Pinterest' lark. Good stuff :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Most of today was spent wiring as it was too warm for any manual work :) I fitted the sonar/fish finder it's a Lowrance elite 5 hdi never used one before so I have no idea if it's any good, time will tell. "IT WILL NOT BE LEFT IN THE BOAT"

20150813_204241_zpsm3mpjaxc.jpg

Fitted the switch panel along with the kill cord next to the control box.

20150813_185953_zpsy7dhjayt.jpg

Rear view camera for getting into those tight parking places :D

20150813_190137_zpswa8rxmur.jpg

The last of the interior trim fitted.

11713059_10202993159788302_9044442_o_zpsoctmkppe.jpg

20150813_190050_zpsk8zu1qdy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

It's a pity you couldn't output the depth sounder to the TV screen :)

Love your work Fergal

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Most of today was spent wiring as it was too warm for any manual work :) I fitted the sonar/fish finder it's a Lowrance elite 5 hdi never used one before so I have no idea if it's any good, time will tell. "IT WILL NOT BE LEFT IN THE BOAT"

The elite hdi is a great unit. I have one myself and wouldn't be without it.

The boat is coming on really well Fergal. I hope the summer shows up in time for you to enjoy it lol.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Well thats taken care of the name out of sight out of mind :) I had to make up some wedges to bring the AUX bracket out to about 12 degrees I also had to rise up a bit more than I liked to allow the motor to lock when tilted up also normally I would put the AUX on the other side to counter balance the drivers weight but as there is a swim ladder on the other side it would have left me with 8 more holes to fill.

20150815_184959_zpsed9b5s6n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Tow

Any plans to add some flotation?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Tow wrote: »
    Any plans to add some flotation?

:) The flotation is still in the sides and bow that was never taken out I only removed some from the transom and that was refilled.

This thread has been too quiet for way too long. I need updates :)

insebayguy wrote: »
    This thread has been too quiet for way too long. I need updates :)

Heading to Lough Ree on Friday for her first spin, hopefully she will stay on top of the water :)

• Advertisement

Very best of luck with that. Looking forward to pics :) Cracker of a day. Have a good one.

No luck with the hunt but a great few days on the water :)

She moves :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Lovely job Fergal, she certainly does shift.

Just had some pretty $hit news about the mother in law so thanks for the pleasant distraction. Good luck with the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Skuxx wrote: »

Always :) I have done a jetski before and hated it rotax engines only have a short life span and are not worth fixing.

I did spot this odd looking thing in Skerries it's sooooo ugly it might just be worth saving :) unusual to see twin inboard outboards.

11924270_10203272834339991_4590506234660657872_n.jpg?oh=fef278a8be02b9b20c1064f01c5de492&oe=56808EF7

11899803_10203272878061084_736640587966869776_n.jpg?oh=1bbdb3bdea385da9a3b3323e8ddea90f&oe=5663F81D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Fergal, you weren't over stating the ugly :).

Almost looks as if you opened both those engines up you'd bury the bow in a trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Looks like someone had a few spare sheets of ply lying about and thought a boat would be nice

Today I did the brakes and bearings on the trailer as I have no idea when they were last done and the brakes weren't holding very well.

There were no caps on the wheels so the grease was everywhere. :(

20150901_121941_zpsrldwezgs.jpg

20150901_133348_zpsdnlfyqhi.jpg

Well that might explain why the brakes were slipping :eek: the rubber seal at the back of the bearing was in bits and all the grease just went around the hub.

20150901_133811_zps1pcfbcxd.jpg

I find that when you put the seal in if you put a bit of super glue around it sticking it to the hub it seams to stay in place.

20150901_121926_zpsc3vsoq0j.jpg

Job done and not a clean rag left in the house :D

20150901_124542_zps8ikcil9t.jpg

20150902_164403_zps4tvtxrxh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ratracer

You'd want some tyre dressing now though, perfect boat, spotless wheels, can't be let down by dirty tyre walls!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Feck's sake, Fergal - are you seriously telling me that's the same wheel in all those pictures? :eek:

(lets not even mention the bloody boat transformation!)

Are you practiced in the Dark Arts or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

why is there a pipe sticking up out of the 2 engine covers ?

scuby wrote: »
    why is there a pipe sticking up out of the 2 engine covers ?

Cooling I'd say and air for the carb, there are two intake pipes sticking out of the back.

46100518.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Are those Hondas air cooled? I had a mercury or two of that vintage that were. Seems an odd choice of power for that sort of craft given the low air flow.

What a weird design that boat is.

I wouldn't say so just the fact that they are in a confined space the heat might build up a bit, as they seem to be just above the carb I'd say they are to stop the carb from breathing in two stroke smoke :)
    Bio Mech wrote: »
    Are those Hondas air cooled? I had a mercury or two of that vintage that were. Seems an odd choice of power for that sort of craft given the low air flow.

What a weird design that boat is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I wouldn't say so just the fact that they are in a confined space the heat might build up a bit, as they seem to be just above the carb I'd say they are to stop the carb from breathing in two stroke smoke :)

A few years ago I went to buy a little dory that had a Honda 2.3 auxiliary. The owner told me the impellor was just done. I didn't buy it as I couldn't trust him after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

This thread somehow slipped right by me so I had a good time reading through it there.

Your ability to see promise in something which seemingly has none never ceases to amaze me Fergal!

Gone awfully quiet Fergal. Need more pics/progress reports. Build/fix something... Anything dammit..
    I bought 2 x motorbikes recently. 1 is perfect and running like a dream, the other is literally in crates/boxes and strewn around my shed.
    If you fancy building a 1986 Yamaha FZX750 (Fazer) let me know ;)

Still looking for the next project things are getting bad I even looked at a rag and stick:confused: "flying 15" but it had too much plastic and not enough wood I thought it might have been one of the uffa fox's but no.

Thanks for the offer but 1986 is not old enough to catch my interest, sure that was only yesterday :)

You're not seeing the benefits of building a bike. The cold snap has started to kick in & a bike is small enough that you can work on it in your kitchen... In your nip if you wanted ;) You don't even have to go outside :) What's not to like. I reckon I'll get a petition going among your loyal fan base to get this off the ground. I know you were into bikes back in the day.. Probably even around 1986!
    I might even try a bit of reverse psychology... You're probably right Fergal. I think it might be too much for you, not sure if your skill sets are expansive enough to take on such an ambitious project, you might just bite off more than you can chew etc etc.
    Is it working?

• Advertisement

insebayguy wrote: »
    You're not seeing the benefits of building a bike. The cold snap has started to kick in & a bike is small enough that you can work on it in your kitchen... In your nip if you wanted ;) You don't even have to go outside :) What's not to like. I reckon I'll get a petition going among your loyal fan base to get this off the ground. I know you were into bikes back in the day.. Probably even around 1986!
    I might even try a bit of reverse psychology... You're probably right Fergal. I think it might be too much for you, not sure if your skill sets are expansive enough to take on such an ambitious project, you might just bite off more than you can chew etc etc.
    Is it working?

If I was to do a bike I would have to move it to the motorbike forum then I would loose all my super powers :) also your fzx750 would end up looking like this. :D

Wooden-Vespa1.jpg

Advertisement