Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Barn find Glastron ssv178

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Even though I've never owned anything bigger than my sea kayak and don't plan to, these restorations are still the best threads on Boards.ie :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Not much to show today just built the fuel tank and battery bays the battery is in the fuel tank bay by the way :) the bit of wood at an angle is just holding a block of wood in place till the epoxy sets I'll use it to give some extra strength to an AUX bracket.

20150801_144010_zpsekd061ps.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Time to start putting her back together.

20150803_140451_zpsu9paalna.jpg

Another crappy day so I did a bit of upholstery on the side pads and a few of the seats nothing fancy just fold and staple :) it would have been a lot of extra work for me to sew them up like the original so I just went with cheep and cheerful and they turned out fine, I might do another burgundy stripe at an angle in the side pads but I will wait till they are dry fitted so I can get the top and bottom angles to line up right.

20150805_171818_zpsbnvq9iu8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭insebayguy

Looking fresh. Weather shocking. Hope it eases off soon so I can see more of this boat restoration :)

• Advertisement

A better day today so I got a good bit done :) the transom top is back on.

20150806_160253_zpsotmdeomo.jpg

The carpet is down.

20150807_160117_zpstr8eoec9.jpg

I played around with making a new dash "not sure on it yet"

20150807_160125_zpsn33duj7o.jpg

And just dry fitted the seats and the new drinks table to see what they look like I still have to do the back cushion for the table.

20150807_160131_zpst4ohqd2q.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Awesome, really awesome!

Fair play Fergal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭Alkers

Looks awesome but I think the dials would look better against the red instead of with the wooden infill.

Cheers Guy's I'm hoping to get a wooden steering wheel to match the dash and there will be a few other bits of wood around the boat as well, I'll do one with just the red and see how it looks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

fergal.b wrote: »
    I played around with making a new dash "not sure on it yet"

20150807_160125_zpsn33duj7o.jpg

I love the timber dash (walnut? is it off something else?) but I don't like the screwholes - could they ne filled and fix the dash from the rear? Also the switches/fuseboard is wrong there, why not drom it down to the grey box to the right of the wheel?

• Advertisement

Yep the dash came with the gauges I got for Old's Cool, the switches have to be moved I might put them down near the control box out of sight :)

For anyone interested in boat restoration there is a new program on Animal Planet called "flipping ships" it's right up my street :)

Lounge seats and side pads.

20150808_164555_zps0kiacuvk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

A bit of repair work to the repair work on the transom before I hang the engine back on.

20150718_102728_zpskyjmgt79.jpg

20150810_104414_zpsmulnqvix.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

A bit of repair work to the repair work on the transom before I hang the engine back on.

Ah now! That's just showing off!

Well done, super job looks like fresh out of the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Wonderful work Fergal. Love your build threads.

Can I ask why you used carpet? I would have thought that would be terrible in a boat?

Thats not showing off, this is :) at the moment I am wiring up an underwater camera with 30m's of cable to a tv that will be built into the boat it will also connect to a camcorder so I can record anything interesting I come across.

Thebody the carpet is rubber backed I also drilled some drain holes in the floor to let any water out and to keep it aired, with the plywood being encapsulated in epoxy it should be fine.

20150810_205534_zpsj8hqelgf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bpmdj

Looks great... Just wondering how you did it? Presume it was sanded down, fiberglassed, gelcoated and painted? Wish I had the time and skill to do the boat!

Good luck in finding Old's Cool

Cheers bpmdj yep I just grind out the damaged gelcoat down to the fibreglass then build it back up with epoxy mixed with fibreglass filler "they are like tiny strands of glass that when mixed with epoxy it makes a nice paste to work with" no need for gelcoat as it's being painted so just pre-kote primer and top-lac paint.

Back together again and solid as a rock :) I'm not sure what the name on her means maybe some of you might recognise it.

20150811_162120_zpsyamqjtpm.jpg

I had a bit of trouble with the tilt trim pump getting hot so I stripped it down and found it was the top bearing sizing up with dirt so I cleaned it all up and it seems fine now, it wasn't fun trying to get the brushes back on to the commutator on the armature I could have done with a 4 year olds fingers.:)

20150811_162129_zpszb5ynuke.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Your work ethic is admirable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Is the underwater camera all one unit including the orange yoke? Was thinking of making one meself out of an old webcam for funsies but that would be limited to 5m. Anything unusual you hope to find at 30 meters below?

• Advertisement

Is the underwater camera all one unit including the orange yoke? Was thinking of making one meself out of an old webcam for funsies but that would be limited to 5m. Anything unusual you hope to find at 30 meters below?

I just got what you see here, you can also buy them in a box with a screen.

"Anything unusual you hope to find at 30 meters below" My boat old's Cool :(

m4EMpODbeuuols9aZ7dDeGA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭insebayguy

Great stuff. Sun is shining. Hope you're out grafting on this boat and taking loads pics for your fans to enjoy :D

............ I'm not sure what the name on her means maybe some of you might recognise it.

I know it is thought unlucky to change the name of a boat, but, Fergal, you will have to consider it. It translates (from Polish) +/- as "Little John" or in Irish as "Seanie" :eek:
    Should you do so, there is a special prayer to Neptune, involves strong drink and passing an anchor above and below...... I have the procedure somewhere..... (you must provide the drink!)

Thanks pedroelbar1 I think I found a link to one, looks like I have to invite everyone that has a connection to the boat and supply them with drink :eek: between Boards,Facebook and pintrest that's not going to happen :D

Everyone knows that renaming your boat will bring nothing but bad luck and make your boating experience something that you will want to forget. But what happens when, after months of searching, you find your dreamboat with a name that you just cannot live with. Since the beginning of time, sailors have sworn that there are unlucky ships and the unluckiest ships of all, are those who have defied the gods and changed their names. So, is there a way to change a name and not incur the wrath of those deities that rule the elements? Yes, there is and this is how:

Before taking your new boat out for her maiden voyage, you must have a "christening ceremony." A proper christening and the accompanying ceremony ensures good fortune to the boat and her crew throughout the life of the vessel. If, after being properly christened, a vessel does have a run of bad luck, it will be because her christening ceremony was poorly performed, rather than due to her Captain's incompetence or to sea monsters.. So for you new boat owners, don't tempt fate.
    Perform the ceremony below before taking your vessel out for her maiden voyage.

First of all, make certain that you invite everyone to the christening who is important to the boat. Since this is an auspicious occasion, it is a good time to invite your friends to witness and to party. Distribute champagne to all attendees. Then, recite the following:

"For thousands of years, we have gone to sea. We have crafted vessels to carry us and we have called them by name. These ships will nurture and care for us through perilous seas, and so we affectionately call them "she." To them we toast, and ask to celebrate (the name of your boat)." Then everybody raises their chanmpagne glasses and shouts "TO THE SAILORS OF OLD…TO_________ (the name of your boat)."

Everybody takes a sip.

Then follow with: "The moods of the sea are many, from tranquil to violent. We ask that this ship be given the strength to carry on. The keel is strong and she keeps out the pressures of the sea." Again the glasses are raised, and the assemblage shouts, "TO THE SEA...TO THE SAILORS OF OLD...TO THE SEA!"

Everybody takes another sip.

Continue:"Today we come to name this lady_____________ (name of your boat), and send her to sea to be cared for, and to care for the __________ (name of your family) family. We ask the sailors of old and the mood of God that is the sea to accept ________________ (your boat's name) as her name, to help her through her passages, and allow her to return with her crew safely. " Again, with the raising of the glasses, "TO THE SEA...TO THE SAILORS BEFORE US...TO_________(the name of your boat)."

A last, long sip by all.

Now pour champagne over the bow to appease King Neptune, and lay a branch of green leaves on the deck to ensure safe returns. (This is when you break the bottle accross the bow. Buy at the follwing link Christening Bottle )

Of course, any champagne remaining will be the beginnings of a suitable celebration in honor of the occasion.

Once the ceremony has been completed, you may bring aboard any and all items bearing the new name of your vessel. If you must apply the new name before the ceremony, be sure the name is not revealed before the ceremony is finished. It may be covered with bunting or some other suitable material.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I know it is thought unlucky to change the name of a boat, but, Fergal, you will have to consider it. It translates (from Polish) +/- as "Little John" or in Irish as "Seanie" :eek:
    Should you do so, there is a special prayer to Neptune, involves strong drink and passing an anchor above and below...... I have the procedure somewhere..... (you must provide the drink!)

I heard you had to walk around it three times (when it's on the water) and put a coin under the mast when re-stepping it, though a mast would ruin the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭martin6651

Fergal I did a search for SP 130 and found nothing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Sounds like we need our second ever forum beers...

Somewhere dry though, I doubt we'll all fit on your wee boat :p

Cedrus wrote: »
    I heard you had to walk around it three times (when it's on the water) and put a coin under the mast when re-stepping it, though a mast would ruin the lines.

I can do a lot of things but walking on water is not one of them :)

Thanks pedroelbar1 I think I found a link to one, looks like I have to invite everyone that has a connection to the boat and supply them with drink :eek: between Boards,Facebook and pintrest that's not going to happen :D

.......Before taking your new boat out for her maiden voyage, you must have a "christening ceremony." A proper christening and the accompanying ceremony ensures good fortune to the boat and her crew throughout the life of the vessel.

Everybody takes another sip.......be sure the name is not revealed before the ceremony is finished. It may be covered with bunting or some other suitable material.

No,nonononononono. Bunting, forsooth! It's not a jubilee or some monarchs birthday! That is some Established Church mumbojumbo or Jesuitical stuff for naming a NEW boat, not one that has been lovingly restored.. You need the re-naming one, with the anchor being passed over and under the keel. I'll have to dig it out......

• Advertisement

martin6651 wrote: »
    Fergal I did a search for SP 130 and found nothing

Here you go http://www.ctmat.de/index.php/de/produkte/epoxy-harze-haerter-kleber/231-sp-130-spabond-130 Don't ask me where I got it if I told you I would have to shoot you :D

Advertisement