Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of date Pot Noodle

• 13-07-2010 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

Last night I bought a Pot Noodle and didn't notice until I got home that the use by date was February 2010. :eek:

I'm wondering if it would be safe to eat? How bad could something that just contains noodles and powder be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As a pot noodle could probably survive nuclear armageddon I wouldn't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I agree,

That pot noodle was manufactured from sawdust and chemicals about 2 years ago, what difference will a day make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

You'll still feel sh1t after eating it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I ate it. I feel alright so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah but food poisoning tends to take 18-24 hours to show itself. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Last night I bought a Pot Noodle and didn't notice until I got home that the use by date was February 2010
    I would be 99% sure it was a best before date, and not a "use by" date. 2 different things, fresh meat would have a use by date, it literally means you must use it by that date. And the other literally means the product should be at its best before that date, and will usually just deteriorate slightly after it. There is no way that at the stroke of midnight on the last day of feb it suddenly became overrun with bacteria -though I have met people who seem to think it would mean just that.

talking about beer before
    rubadub wrote: »
    Carbon dioxide can escape through the can or bottle, albeit very slowly, whereas PET plastic bottles are far more porous and can go flatter faster.

When making these "best before" the manufaturers are taking into account the worst case scenario they can, they do not want their beer reaching a customer tasting off. Clear glass bottles will go bad in the sun, faster than coloured bottles. Storing at high temperatures has an exponentially adverse affect on most food & drink. Therefore they take the worst case, a retailer storing the beer in the sunny window of his shop, during a heatwave with constant 30-35C heat.
    So yes in that case it would taste a bit off after 6 months. But if stored properly it will be good for several years.

Advertisement