Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iPhone sim tray problems

• 12-05-2009 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Ordered an iPhone 3G 8GB on O2.ie the other day, it was delivered today.

I'm currently with meteor (085) but going to move over to O2 to activate the iPhone. Seems I'll have to send them back some paperwork for the switchover.

I opened the newly delivered iPhone from its box this evening, ejected the sim tray, inserted the O2 sim card and turned the phone on. It told me I needed to enter an unlocked sim card, or to enter the pin number for the sim.

I wasn't sure what the pin was, did some googling and have come to the conclusion there shouldn't be a pin on a new sim.. (though I'm still not sure)?

I hooked the iPhone up to my Mac to sync it with iTunes, figuring this may tell me something about the pin issue, but instead it told me it couldn't sync with the iPhone because I had a pin and needed to first enter the pin code.

I unplugged the iPhone, and pressed a paper clip into the little hole on the sim tray, to eject the sim. These were the instructions advised.

The tray didn't budge. After a couple of more presses, I managed to pull the tray out by getting a fingernail under a corner. It felt stiff/jammed.

It came out, I looked into where the tray sits, and all looked okay.

But now when I push the tray back in, it goes in fine until the last 1 - 2mm, and it can't go in further. I don't want to push it too hard as I'm concerned about breaking something.

So now I have a new iPhone which I'm dying to play with, and I can't even turn the bloody thing on.

And I spent several hours trying to contact O2 but I can't call them because my number isn't yet switched over to their network so their auto system won't accept my calls.

They do have one helpline which may answer me even though I'm not yet on their network, but it's closed since 5 p.m.

I've done apple searches and seen that this does happen to people, and they've sent their phones back to the Genius bar, but living in rural Ireland, is there any option other than sending my new toy off to a faraway repair place??

I'm a pay monthly customer too, so I get to pay for a phone I can't use.
    :(

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭CivilEx

When you ordered your iPhone you should have gotten an e-mail from O2 within which your Pin1 and Pin2 would have been listed. You need your Pin1 to turn on the iPhone and activate it the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 N272WA

Thanks for your reply.

I definitely didn't get any e-mail other than my purchase confirmation.

I'm going to check my junk folder though now, just in case...

Just checked and nope, never received an e-mail like that.

Got one e-mail from O2, which was "your order has been received" and there's no mention of pins in it.

But now, even if I had the pin, I can't enter it because I can't get the tray in...

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Give them a call tomorrow and they will sort you out with the pin. Will the sim tray go in without the sim card in it? If it's broken you might have to return it to them for a replacement...

Will do.

Nope, the tray will just not go in. It goes all the way except for the last 2mm. I've shone a torch in the slot and I can't see anything that could be blocking it or preventing it from entering, bar a black plastic part/arm on the bottom right (when the back of the phone is facing you), but that looks like it's meant to be there and under normal circumstances I'd push at it and see if I could move it/press it, but I don't want to do anything to it which would void warranty.

Anyone got experience of sending them away for replacement? How long does that take? (The last option I hope for..)

• Advertisement
Advertisement