Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Im a reading the Throne of the Crescent Moon and so far so good. Lovely cover on it despite it being absolutely crap.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I have to say its only been the last two that where like that for me, Reaper's Gale & Toll The Hounds, both of which were worth it in the end. The first 6 books where all fantastic, & my understanding is 9 & 10 return to that form.
    I have read Memories of Ice years ago and I thought that was excellent but on every internet forum there's a thread about Malazan and it always descends into a discussion about how 'hard it is to read' or how tough certain books are to get through.
    Not something you want to hear when you are about to start it.

I'll get to it eventually maybe the summer after college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Reading "The Bonehunters" at the moment, some classic dialogue.

Mogora: "What if I told you I was pregnant?"
    Iskaral Pust: "I'd kill the mule."

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

In keeping with the Malazan theme here, I've started into "Orb Sceptre Throne" by Ian C. Esslemont. Too early to know anything yet but I'm confident I'll enjoy it like I have his other works. Now to remember who everyone is...

Also started into "The Merchant's War" by Charles Stross, the fourth book in his Merchant Princes series. I suspect there's a law of diminishing returns on this series so that's why it's my secondary title.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

ixoy wrote: »
    In keeping with the Malazan theme here, I've started into "Orb Sceptre Throne" by Ian C. Esslemont. Too early to know anything yet but I'm confident I'll enjoy it like I have his other works. Now to remember who everyone is...

Haven't started that yet but found the kindle app on the tablet a godsend for the later on erikson's books and esslemont's. Being able to highlight and look up on wiki saved on a lot of confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Darwin's Radio - Greg Bear. Not that impressed tbh. I'm not that familiar with Bear. I read The Forge of God which I thought was amazing but Darwin's Radio is lacking something. Anyway should finish before I cast sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I thought Darwin's Radio was fantastic and I would definitely recommend finishing it - read it years ago but it was the first book in a long time that scared me.

I thought Darwin's Radio was fantastic and I would definitely recommend finishing it - read it years ago but it was the first book in a long time that scared me.
    Same. Bear did a lot of research and he made the scenario seems so very plausible.
    I've got "Darwin's Children" (the sequel) on a "to-read" pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished Oryx & Crake. It reminded me quite a bit of The Road, in that it seems the post apocalyptic world they created exists only as an excuse to have the type of character they want to write about. It wasn't bad, but I would have liked to see the world developed a lot more, and more background on it than character backstory.
    Started Knife of Dreams, ok so far, would like to actually get to read some Rand for a change.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I found it more interesting than scary. Not sure if you mean what was happening or peoples' reaction to it.
    ixoy wrote: »
    Same. Bear did a lot of research and he made the scenario seems so very plausible.
    I've got "Darwin's Children" (the sequel) on a "to-read" pile.

I'm finished now and would say it was good but not great. I appreciate the research but I thought that it dragged a bit in places mainly in the middle which is what slowed down my finishing it. Interesting for sure but nowhere near as engaging to me as The Forge of God. Still I think I would be interested enough to want to continue the story by reading the next one all right.

Overall I'm liking Bear after 2 books. Anvil of Stars next.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

mewso wrote: »
    I found it more interesting than scary. Not sure if you mean what was happening or peoples' reaction to it.
    Likewise. Yet to read the sequel.

About halfway through Tim Powers' The Drawing of the Dark, having finished On Stranger Tides a month-or-so back.

Really enjoying it as something different. Funny in parts, too.

Dades wrote: »
    Likewise. Yet to read the sequel.
    He's had an odd path in some respects. He wrote "hard sci-fi" originally that was quite technical but produced some gems, particularly the Eon series.
    He then switched to near-future techno-thrillers, sort of like Michael Crichton.
    Then back to being more like hard sci-fi.
    Now to writing Halo novels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Reading Dragon Haven by Robbin Hobb, and it's a huge improvement over the first one. If I didn't already love Robbin Hobb's work then I wouldn't have slogged through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Decided to go for something lighthearted
    - Fool by Christopher Moore

Very entertaining, allegedly King Lear from the Fools perspective but way better than the original with pretty much every fantasy cliche invoked and battered senseless. Think Monty Python meets Shakespeare and wins!

Lots of nice little snigger worthy one liners - "Carpe diem" - "What? fish of the day?"
    you can almost hear Eric Idle's peasant / Mary from life of Brian voice in you head narrating!

mewso wrote: »

A bit of both really, plus my own thoughts on how I or society in general would react to such developments.

I recommend Eon by Bear if you haven't read it. Blood Music is another good one of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Purely because I got them for really cheap I'm reading The Night Angel Trilogy. I really try to like Brent Weaks as he seems like a nice guy but his writing is just poor. I've heard that it's vastly improved in The Black Prism (which I also got for €2.99) but in Night Angel some of the dialogue is just laughable.

Have Mieville's KRaken up next, never read a book by him so I'm looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Singed Icarus

Finished Dune a few months back- believe the hype it's a wonderful book!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

Finished Joe Abercrombies "Before They Are Hanged" over the weekend and enjoyed it so much I went straight into "Last Argument of Kings".

How do his standalone novels compare to the trilogy? He has some great character development in the trilogy so not sure how a once off novel would compare.

shaneor wrote: »
    Finished Joe Abercrombies "Before They Are Hanged" over the weekend and enjoyed it so much I went straight into "Last Argument of Kings".

How do his standalone novels compare to the trilogy? He has some great character development in the trilogy so not sure how a once off novel would compare.

Some of the characters that appear in the trilogy also crop up in the two stand alone books and they are set in the same world - if you enjoyed 'Before They Are Hanged' etc. you should certainly enjoy the other books.

The only bad point is Glokta does not appear in the other books :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Had to abandon Night Angel (first time I've ever done that) it's just too bad.

Started Kraken. Confusing, but he has me hooked to find out what's going on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Kraken is pretty good, if you enjoy it then definitely give Perdido Street Station and The Scar a go. Avoid Iron Council though, it's lacking the whole way through. The City and the City is Ok. I think it's gotten the most acclaim but that's down to it not being a fantastical read.

Everything by Abercrombie is very good. I loved the First Law trilogy, even more so because every book is better than the last. Best Served Cold is next up after the trilogy and again the quality goes way up. If you get a kick out of theh First Law then you'll love it. The Heroes after that was a little bit more flat. Still very good, though the novel is only set during a period of a couple of days which made it a little more limited in what could be done.

Had to abandon Night Angel (first time I've ever done that) it's just too bad.
    I got through the first book and I'm sorry I bothered. Here's my own thoughts/rant on it from last year:
    Finished "The Way of Shadows" by Brent Weeks, the first book in his Night Angel Trilogy.

I had good hopes for this book initially, based on a high score on Amazon's reviews. The enthusiasm was dampened by some lukewarm reception on boards. Unfortunately, lukewarm and indifference is the best I can muster for this - one of the most over-rated fantasy novels that I've read in the last few years.

What's wrong with it? The premise is sound enough - a young orphan (Azoth) becomes the apprentice of the city's best assassin (Durzo) amidst a backdrop of some political intrigue. The problem is nothing is done very well.

For starters the world is poorly drawn. The action is set in one city, which is meant to be a melting pot of the surrounding cultures but we never get a feel for any of this. The city is bland. Even worse is that we don't get a feel for the aggressor nations that threaten them - we barely know anything about them so it's hard to feel them as a source of intimidation.
    Other flaws include the magic system used in it. It feels poorly executed - it doesn't have the thoughtfulness and detail put in in (and I'll be using this as a comparison more than once) Sanderson's "The Final Empire".

Now a poorly drawn world need not necessarily be an issue if there is a good plot woven through it. The plot is probably the strongest element in this book but it feels very disjointed. In the earlier stages of the book there are leaps of years. It creates a poor sense of pacing. There are some interesting twists in the book but they don't generally feel like they were set up well, where you could have picked up on them. It's generally a sense of "ta da!" The final third of the book is substantially better in plotting but it's too little too late.

The characters growth also suffer from this pacing. Skipping years we don't see how characters progress to become the best in their business. Deep friendships form in this time, again with no real feel for how they got there. Since I read it recently, "The Final Empire" springs to mind as a book that also took an orphan, and trained them, but had a much more natural and believable progression.
    Even when the pacing stops jumping years, the characters we're left with are varied. Durzo is just an emo dressed up in assassin's garb. Constantly prattling on about death, and the worthlessness of life he is tiresome to listen to. Azoth is Emo Lite, torturing himself and the readers at time with his self absorption. It's hard to take them seriously at times because I'm rolling my eyes. If your characters need to have streaks of self loathing, then see how much better Joe Abercrombie does it lacing it with black humour.
    One of the more interesting characters is unfortunately cursed with one of the worst names I've seen in all my time reading fantasy. A high-powered pimp, she's called Momma K. I expect her to be releasing a rap single soon.

The other element is Weeks' writing ability. It's perfunctory at best. The dialogue at times is just embarrassing. He has a number of the bad guys cackle manically and his good guys play the emo vibe heavily enough that the Cure would probably wince. Oh and he also used the word "BOOM". He just forgot to have the cartoon birds whirling around characters heads afterwards.

Is there any redeeming features? To be fair it gets a fair bit better in the final third and there are some half decent plot reveals. The problem is I just don't care for the characters, I find the world half-baked and dull and the writing too flat. There's too many good books out there waiting to be read for me to invest in reading the sequel. Not recommended.
    Started Kraken. Confusing, but he has me hooked to find out what's going on.
    If you like that (what I consider one of his weakest titles), then there's a good back catalogue to get stuck into. Love 'em all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

The last few chapters of Knife of Dreams were pretty damn good :)
    It seemed like he realised he was almost another book down with little/no resolution to any plot lines, and decided to start finishing them off!

Next up, and I know this is not everyone's cup of tea, is Villainy Victorious, Bk 9 of Mission Earth by L. Ron Hubbard. I really liked the first 8 books years ago, but could never find 9 instock anywhere, even have 10 sitting on the shelf for about 5 years, but got it on Kindle from Amazon for about €4.60 so went for it.

And before anyone asks, yes, I do know he was a complete raving looney, and no, I'm not a scientologist :D

mcgovern wrote: »
    Next up, and I know this is not everyone's cup of tea, is Villainy Victorious, Bk 9 of Mission Earth by L. Ron Hubbard. I really liked the first 8 books years ago, but could never find 9 instock anywhere, even have 10 sitting on the shelf for about 5 years, but got it on Kindle from Amazon for about €4.60 so went for it.
    I got up to Book 5 and then couldn't find any more of them so left the series. Bizarre nonsense. You can see Hubbard's hatred for psychiatry very evident in the series though.

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. It is difficult to read. He has really come a long way in his writing in the last 6-7 years when you compare that to Way of Kings. It's even more noticeable when you see how low his starting point was. In saying that Way of Kings could definitely of done with a bit more polish.
    Here's to hoping he starts to take a bit more time with his editing and revision stages from here on out but when you look at the outrage shown on various boards about the delay on Memory of Light maybe he might be influenced by i and just keep churning them out.

Shryke wrote: »
    Kraken is pretty good, if you enjoy it then definitely give Perdido Street Station and The Scar a go. Avoid Iron Council though, it's lacking the whole way through. The City and the City is Ok. I think it's gotten the most acclaim but that's down to it not being a fantastical read.

Everything by Abercrombie is very good. I loved the First Law trilogy, even more so because every book is better than the last. Best Served Cold is next up after the trilogy and again the quality goes way up. If you get a kick out of theh First Law then you'll love it. The Heroes after that was a little bit more flat. Still very good, though the novel is only set during a period of a couple of days which made it a little more limited in what could be done.

That's good to hear, as I'm struggling to get into The City and The City. Got Perdido lately and I might give it a go.
    Jumping from Sanderson to Mieville will be some jolt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Just read the blade itself by abercrombie, it's a bit eh... *shrug* not mad about it though i wouldn't mind finding out what happens next

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I'd be genuinely interested to hear what you think of it.

just pick Valis up is it worth reading

bluewolf wrote: »
    Just read the blade itself by abercrombie, it's a bit eh... *shrug* not mad about it though i wouldn't mind finding out what happens next

I think they get better as they go along

• Advertisement

"The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins.. I want to get it read before the movie arrives. I'm just over a third through and enjoying it so far - closest thing out there is "Battle Royale".

Advertisement