Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question about DARE scheme

• 23-08-2015 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey Everyone :)

I hope someone can help me because I'm really confused about the DARE points system.

I was recently diagnosed with depression (and anxiety, although its my depression that affects me most) and I'm going into 6th year next year. I go to boarding school, and both my parents live abroad so I was diagnosed during the summer, while I was seeing someone over there. I am taking medication and my depression REALLY affected my studies last year. I won't get into all the details of course, however it was almost impossible for me to get out of bed in the morning, nevermind focus on homework and study hard.

I will of course start seeing a therapist in Dublin to follow up on therapy, however I'm really worried that I won't be eligible for the scheme. How should I ask my therapist what she thinks? I don't want it to seem like I'm taking advantage of my illness. Has been through something similar regarding the DARE scheme? Any of your advice or experiences would really help me!

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The first person I'd seek out would be the guidance counsellor in your school. They'll be used to dealing with people who've gone through the process and I'm sure they'll be happy to make it as easy as possible for you. Getting support within your school for the year ahead, letting them know what you're dealing with will let them help you through the year. No one is going to think you're taking advantage of your illness for gain here either, you're clearly not, you're entitled to a fair chance, that's all you're looking for. Get any help available to you from any scheme.
    You never know, in your future career this period of your life might be pivitol in helping you handle a future situation well at work or helping someone within your career. Loads of people suffer from depression but very often only people who've seen the harsh end of it know how to understand or help someone suffering. They're the people who'll know how to say a meaningful word that might keep someone else going through the work day. Every career and workplace needs those people, from medicine to engineering, and you're going to be one of them. So really by continuing your future studies you'll be helping not only yourself but probably others in the future too. This program might allow do that so don't be shy about inquiring about it. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Hi :)

Can I just say first, I am so sorry that you are going through what you are, my heart goes out to you. Depression can be complete hell to endure, nevermind with the added pressures of the leaving cert.

I have no idea of your exact circumstances but mental illness is quite a difficult thing to be accepted into the DARE scheme with. Due to the nature of them, they have to be very severe for you to be eligible and proven to have had a very big impact on your studies. For example with depression, a diagnosis of mild-moderate depression will unlikely allow you to be accepted, you would have to have clinical depression to be considered. Even if you have been diagnosed by GP or a therapist they are not qualified to provide evidence of your disability, you must be severe enough to be referred and under the care of a consultant psychiatrist and your community mental health team to even apply. They must provide extensive reports on your illness and the measures they are taking to control it.

I'm not going to go into too much detail here because this is very personal but I was accepted into the DARE scheme this year for a major depressive episode & other mental illnesses so I know pretty much everything there is to know about the application process if you need any advice on it and if you think you are eligible. I was actually taken out of school in my LC year and hospitilized for a number of months in a psychiatric unit while going through the application process. I can go into a lot more detail if you pm me but I'm not comfortable posting too much information about my experience in this thread as I'd like to keep my identity hidden but if you do feel you qualify I'll be happy to help you out as best as I can as I know what a scary situation it is to be in. Even if you don't qualify though, there is still a lot of support available and if you would like I can give you information on that too.

Best of luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I asked someone I know who works in this area and she told me that she'd encourage anyone to apply if they feel they have grounds, that every case is judged on its individual merits so there might be something in your circumstances they might find compelling OP. Get any supports you can from your school tip for the year ahead so make them aware of how you're feeling.

Advertisement