Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

law re carrying children

Options
  • 02-01-2009 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

I gave a lift to a friend and 2 children who are 11 and I guess average size for 11. Is this illegal without special seats? I know my sister has special seat for some of the children, what exactly is it and is it enforced?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,771 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I gave a lift to a friend and 2 children who are 11 and I guess average size for 11. Is this illegal without special seats? I know my sister has special seat for some of the children, what exactly is it and is it enforced?

Thanks

If they are not yet 12, they must be over 1.35m in height!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If they are between 22 and 36kgs, they are required to have a booster cushion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

unkel wrote: »
    If they are not yet 12, they must be over 1.35m in height!
    Thanks. What is the penalty? I am not sure of their height but I would not they are small for their age. 1.35m is a meter and 35 cm or mm? If cm it is approx 4 ft ..4 isn't it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Thanks. What is the penalty? I am not sure of their height but I would not they are small for their age. 1.35m is a meter and 35 cm or mm? If cm it is approx 4 ft ..4 isn't it

:confused:

1.35m = 4.42ft = about 4ft 5 or 6 inches

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I thought those law's only applied for front seat passenger?
    Although it makes sense for very small children in the back.

• Advertisement

No applies in back seat too. When it came in first there was a discusssion on Joe Duffy about taxis having to carry them in case of a fare with children. Not sure of the situation there

sorry posted twice

there was a discusssion on Joe Duffy about taxis having to carry them in case of a fare with children. Not sure of the situation there
    PSVs are exempt from having them.

PSVs are exempt from having them.
    mm wonder why they were complaining then?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No applies in back seat too. When it came in first there was a discusssion on Joe Duffy about taxis having to carry them in case of a fare with children. Not sure of the situation there
    Taxis have an exemption.

• Advertisement

mm wonder why they were complaining then?
    If I recall correctly, it was passengers with children who were complaining (i.e. expecting all taxis to have child seats available if required.).

If I recall correctly, it was passengers with children who were complaining (i.e. expecting all taxis to have child seats available if required.).
    Yes you have a better memory than me.;) i knew there was some issue, sorry got it wrong

There seem to be many inconsistencies in the exact rules of having to use a child seat for those 11 year olds. I haven't found the official EU directive, but this is from the RSA.ie:
    rsa.ie wrote:
    Children aged 3 years or over who are under 150cms in height and weighing less than 36 kilograms (i.e. generally children up to 11/12 years old) must use the correct child seat, booster seat or booster cushion when travelling in cars or goods vehicles

Linky

So any age between 3 and 17 they must be >1.50m OR >36kg, otherwise they need a child seat.

The exact same paragraph can be found on citizensinformation.ie as well, so we can take it as true

Can anyone find the official EU link?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think you've found the original directive there, bazz26!

What pains me about the EU in general is the typical:
    Member States may, however, allow, in their territory...

Found many times in your link. But that's a rant for another day I suppose...

Advertisement