Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Missing a lecture but studying it through Moodle yourself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

His quote from http://law.nuim.ie/staff/dr-brian-flanagan
    I am currently undertaking research into the notion of collective legislative intentionality at New York University School of Law as a Hauser Research Scholar, supported by a Fulbright Scholar's Award.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

jpcarlow wrote: »
    Just gonna say this now, no more mentioning the lecturer's names (I know we're all giving compliments now, but it only takes one grumpy a$$ to take a negative view and start badmouthing a professor which will just get people into trouble)

Also Siomha what were the cases we studied in first year that we couldnt stop laughing at when we heard the name?

No mentioning names and you mention mine? Bad form :P

Well there was defo the McGee case, the mature first years that we (*cough* you) were!

Well there was defo the McGee case, the mature first years that we (*cough* you) were!

McGee v National Coal Board (1973) haha the only case name I remember since first semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

Paczini wrote: »

McGee v National Coal Board (1973) haha the only case name I remember since first semester.

Was that the case where the guy contracted dermatitis? Ya that was hilarious.

Jaysus, there was two McGee cases! I'm talking about the Constitutional case McGee v Attorney General (we did Const and Admin first year instead of Tort)

• Advertisement

Jaysus, there was two McGee cases! I'm talking about the Constitutional case McGee v Attorney General (we did Const and Admin first year instead of Tort)
    Now I'm looking forward to this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

ha you're not a lecturer plus you've previously released your name in Know your Maynoothians....legal precedent :P

ha thats the one...also was there a Norris one?

ha you're not a lecturer plus you've previously released your name in Know your Maynoothians....legal precedent :P

ha thats the one...also was there a Norris one?

Yup, Norris's case to decriminalise homosexuality.

@Paczini, McGee is all about contraception. Not as funn as it sounds.

What you really want to look forward to is R v Slingsby in Criminal Law (if you get to do it!). Now that's... interesting... though has even gotten me in trouble!

Yup, Norris's case to decriminalise homosexuality.

@Paczini, McGee is all about contraception. Not as funn as it sounds.

What you really want to look forward to is R v Slingsby in Criminal Law (if you get to do it!). Now that's... interesting... though has even gotten me in trouble!
    That's what i was thinking of, i knew we had a norris one. Ah those were the days. All nighters writing out cases right before exams :P

That's what i was thinking of, i knew we had a norris one. Ah those were the days. All nighters writing out cases right before exams :P

Ah those study sessions! I may find new sessioners for this year!

• Advertisement

Ah those study sessions! I may find new sessioners for this year!
    MOAR DUNNE'S RED BULL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Are Law exams hard guys? I looked at past exam papers and it looks like nonsense to me, i've actually no idea about any of it! Please tell me you learn everything from scratch? :eek: :p

Are Law exams hard guys? I looked at past exam papers and it looks like nonsense to me, i've actually no idea about any of it! Please tell me you learn everything from scratch? :eek: :p
    You do everything from scratch but ONE lecturer which name I cannot mention always gives a question where anyone is able to write more than few sentences that make sense. Otherwise it is just filling the pages hoping that something is relevant.

They look like nonsense because you haven't studied anything yet. Calm down. There is no way you should be looking at past papers already! Give yourself some time to settle in!

You do everything from scratch but ONE lecturer which name I cannot mention always gives a question where anyone is able to write more than few sentences that make sense. Otherwise it is just filling the pages hoping that something is relevant.

Lets not start scaring the firsties just yet!

MOAR DUNNE'S RED BULL

That stuff was dangerous!

Lets not start scaring the firsties just yet!
    I hate to lie but I'm just saying that everyone will be on the same boat as nearly no one can do these questions.

That stuff was dangerous!
    i passed law, i will endorse the crap out of that stuff :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

My favourite cases from my three years of undergrad law:

AG v X (seminal abortion case, studied in Constitutional)
    R v Lipman (criminal case regarding intoxication)
    R v Brown (tort case regarding consensual sadomasochism)
    R v Bedingfield (evidence case regarding dying declarations)
    Van Gend en Loos (EU case, forget what it was about, just liked the name)
    Cassis de Dijon (AKA France v Germany) (EU case about Creme de Cassis)
    Woolmington v DPP (because of the 'Golden Thread')
    Donoghue v Stevenson (the basis of all torts)
    R v Dudley and Stevens (Cannibalism!!)

How so Joe wrote: »
    Van Gend en Loos (EU case, forget what it was about, just liked the name)

I remember hating that case (as with pretty much all EU cases) but I will never forget the name for some reason!

• Advertisement

I remember hating that case (as with pretty much all EU cases) but I will never forget the name for some reason!
    And you are scaring me now! I have EU law this year!

And you are scaring me now! I have EU law this year!

Now that's painful!

Now that's painful!
    Are constitutional and administrative law as bad?

Are constitutional and administrative law as bad?

Not as bad no but it'll be tough enough with those 3 together!

Not as bad no but it'll be tough enough with those 3 together!
    Great :/ I have Criminal, Constitutional and EU Law in Semester 1 and in Semester 2 EU, Constitutional, Evidence and Administrative. Seriously, there couldn't be better combination. :(

Great :/ I have Criminal, Constitutional and EU Law in Semester 1 and in Semester 2 EU, Constitutional, Evidence and Administrative. Seriously, there couldn't be better combination. :(

Ah Evidence and Criminal will be fine and I found Const alright personally, it's just others found it hard going! Don't worry too much just yet

Ah Evidence and Criminal will be fine and I found Const alright personally, it's just others found it hard going! Don't worry too much just yet
    Yeah I'm looking forward to Criminal and Evidence, just other ones scare me.

Yeah I'm looking forward to Criminal and Evidence, just other ones scare me.

You'll survive :)

You'll survive :)
    I always survive! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Just got a message from a girl I know in my Law class talking about getting 2 assignments for Tort Law next weekend. Eh wut...

Advertisement