Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork City Marathon, June 4th 2012.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

foxyboxer wrote: »
    None of them up for it I'm afraid (not even the last 2 legs of 9 miles or so :rolleyes:) hence me getting roped in. I assume that I'll have to start with two timing chips and thought there might be a conflict with the times. I checked the terms and conditions but there's no mention of that scenario, would have been nice to have a legitimate reason to bow out!

I'm not sure if the chip is on the back of the number or not so you may actually need to don both numbers if you're doing the final leg !! Will definitely stand out more than a chip on the foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

None of them up for it I'm afraid (not even the last 2 legs of 9 miles or so :rolleyes:) hence me getting roped in. I assume that I'll have to start with two timing chips and thought there might be a conflict with the times. I checked the terms and conditions but there's no mention of that scenario, would have been nice to have a legitimate reason to bow out!

Nope only the person on the last leg of the relay has to wear a timing chip (on his/her shoe). There is a little bracelet that is supposed to be passed on from runner to runner at the changeover points, but it really proves nothing as there are no checks, the last runner could easily just wear it and the chip and take off when he/she likes.
    The relay is actually rife for cheating when you think of it but i don't think there are any prizes so there is no real incentive for doing so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

menoscemo wrote: »
    Nope only the person on the last leg of the relay has to wear a timing chip (on his/her shoe). There is a little bracelet that is supposed to be passed on from runner to runner at the changeover points, but it really proves nothing as there are no checks, the last runner could easily just wear it and the chip and take off when he/she likes.
    The relay is actually rife for cheating when you think of it but i don't think there are any prizes so there is no real incentive for doing so.

We are all just a very honorable bunch us relay runners and wouldn't dream of doing such things. It is very exciting hanging around the relay changeovers and handing over to your team mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Certainly no question of them cheating. Just stuck/lazy (delete as applicable)
    It's just that the last thing you need before running the full one is having hassle about their timing chip and your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Certainly no question of them cheating. Just stuck/lazy (delete as applicable)
    It's just that the last thing you need before running the full one is having hassle about their timing chip and your own.

You won't have to wear two timing chips (or numbers). You'll just have to hand over a bracelet at the first realy changeover point (about 5 miles in).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Technically as a relay runner for the first leg you should also be wearing a different number on your back, but I think your OK with the plan you have. You then have to try and beat the four of them to run 20'ish miles after you have already run a 5'ish mile "warm up".

That should suitably shame the lot of them if you do beat them on your own. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

This day next month.....eek.

Can someone tell me a bit more about how the pacing works? i assume its a big group behind one guy who knows what pace to run at? hoping to run witht he 3:45 group but i'm a novice marathon runner so any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

The pacers (armed with balloons with the finishing time on them) will start out at a steady pace and stick to that all the way around, so that the pace for each mile is the same. In the case of the 3:45 pacers, they will be running at approximately 8:34 per mile all the way. If you keep with them, they'll be helping you not to head out too fast and struggle later on and will also give you a bit of support when you need it and try to rally up the spectators to cheer you on.

the pacer will relieve you of having to check your time, check your speed, do the maths to get you to the finish line in 3:45. IF you're feeling strong in the latter part of the race, they might encourage you to push ahead of them a bit to put a slightly bigger dent in the sub 3:45 time.

One bit of advice is to start either beside them or just behind them. If you are ahead of them crossing the line, your chip time will be started before theirs and if you finish with them, you'll have extra time on your results. If you start too far behind them, then there might be the urge to run too fast in the first mile to catch up with them. If for any reason, you need to stop during the race, for a drink or a toilet break, dont feel you have to go at breakneck speed to catch up with them over the next 200m, you'll be able to see the balloons ahead and just bring up the pace gradually. If it takes you a mile to slowly creep back up on them, it will be less taxing then bursting into a sprint to catch them ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

alitoast wrote: »
    Can someone tell me a bit more about how the pacing works? i assume its a big group behind one guy who knows what pace to run at? hoping to run witht he 3:45 group but i'm a novice marathon runner so any advice appreciated.

That's pretty much it. There are usually 2 or 3 pacers per pace band. They will carry balloons with the target time and will run at even pace. It's then up to the runners to try and stick with them.

Update: Beaten by Aimann. Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Update: Beaten by Aimann. Doh!

I very seldom get to hear those words, so I'm printing this it out and framing it, :D

• Advertisement

• 2 questions.

1. Not big into gels. Would like a sweet sugary drink somewhere along the way. Think in Dublin they had that great Spar or Centra orange isotonic stuff which for me was pefect. Well they be handing out anything at all like that in Cork? Think I'll need more than just water. Even Ribena would do.

2. So many people have said it is slightly hillier than Dublin, which is my only marathon to date. On the other hand, know 2 sub 3 hour marathon runners who have done better in Cork than Dublin. So a little confused. All things being equal, training, weather etc. is the course noticeably slower than Dublin?

2. So many people have said it is slightly hillier than Dublin, which is my only marathon to date. On the other hand, know 2 sub 3 hour marathon runners who have done better in Cork than Dublin. So a little confused. All things being equal, training, weather etc. is the course noticeably slower than Dublin?

Cork is slightly less hilly than Dublin, but there is not much difference between the two. It won't make much difference in time at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭thereturn

After completing my first marathon other day in Belfast I'm considering doing either the Burren, Newry or Cork marathon at end of may/start of June. Just wondering how they compare. Newry is the nearest to me but am quite flexible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

thereturn wrote: »
    After completing my first marathon other day in Belfast I'm considering doing either the Burren, Newry or Cork marathon at end of may/start of June. Just wondering how they compare. Newry is the nearest to me but am quite flexible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

closing date for cork is tomorrow btw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

2 questions.

1. Not big into gels. Would like a sweet sugary drink somewhere along the way. Think in Dublin they had that great Spar or Centra orange isotonic stuff which for me was pefect. Well they be handing out anything at all like that in Cork? Think I'll need more than just water. Even Ribena would do.

They had Lucosade sport last year, the first station was 11/12 miles in if memory serves.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Last year there was a big crowd in the pub they named for the official after party. Apparently there was a free BBQ in the evening but we never actually made it.

We made it alright but there was an executive decision taken to go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

2 questions.

Last year's fuel provisions:

Blackpool, just before O’Connell Street (c. 2.5 miles) WATER BOTTLES
    Horgan’s Quay (c. 4 miles) WATER CUPS
    Lower Glanmire Road (Tivoli) (c. 6 miles) WATER BOTTLES
    South Ring Road (c. 9 miles) WATER BOTTLES
    Blackrock Castle Carpark (c. 11.5 miles) WATER BOTTLES & ENERGY DRINK
    Railway Line at junction with Skehard Road (c. 14 miles) WATER BOTTLES
    Marina, Lee Rowing Club (c. 15.5 miles) WATER CUPS & SPONGES
    Curragh Road (c. 18 miles) WATER CUPS & ENERGY DRINK
    The Lough (c. 19.5 miles) WATER CUPS & SPONGES
    Model Farm Road (c. 21 miles) WATER BOTTLES
    Inchigaggin Lane (c. 23 miles) WATER BOTTLES & ENERGY DRINK
    Carrigrohane Road (c. 24 miles) WATER CUPS
    Mardyke, at Mardyke Bridge (c. 25 miles) WATER BOTTLES
    Finish Line: water & Fair Trade bananas

• Last year's fuel provisions:

Blackpool, just before O’Connell Street (c. 2.5 miles) WATER BOTTLES
    Horgan’s Quay (c. 4 miles) WATER CUPS
    Lower Glanmire Road (Tivoli) (c. 6 miles) WATER BOTTLES
    South Ring Road (c. 9 miles) WATER BOTTLES
    Blackrock Castle Carpark (c. 11.5 miles) WATER BOTTLES & ENERGY DRINK
    Railway Line at junction with Skehard Road (c. 14 miles) WATER BOTTLES
    Marina, Lee Rowing Club (c. 15.5 miles) WATER CUPS & SPONGES
    Curragh Road (c. 18 miles) WATER CUPS & ENERGY DRINK
    The Lough (c. 19.5 miles) WATER CUPS & SPONGES
    Model Farm Road (c. 21 miles) WATER BOTTLES
    Inchigaggin Lane (c. 23 miles) WATER BOTTLES & ENERGY DRINK
    Carrigrohane Road (c. 24 miles) WATER CUPS
    Mardyke, at Mardyke Bridge (c. 25 miles) WATER BOTTLES
    Finish Line: water & Fair Trade bananas

Excellent. Thanks for that. Hope this year will be something the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Blooming

rom wrote: »
    thereturn wrote: »

closing date for cork is tomorrow btw

Closing date extended to 18th May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Blooming wrote: »
    Low numbers this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

I'd imagine that the Waterford marathon would have taken a good amount of people that might normally have run in Cork but live closer to, or in Waterford.

sideswipe wrote: »
    Low numbers this year?

They may have been waiting for me but I signed up yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

It gets extended almost every year

Anyone targetting 3:40/45?

Mr Slow wrote: »

The 3:45 pacers :D

• Mr Slow wrote: »

Yep.

Have only done one, a 3.59. Think I'm in better shape for this one so would like to aim for 3.45 anyway. Though not sure if that means I should set off with 3.30 pacers and kinda expect a flag, or just bowl along with the 3.45 crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Yep.

Have only done one, a 3.59. Think I'm in better shape for this one so would like to aim for 3.45 anyway. Though not sure if that means I should set off with 3.30 pacers and kinda expect a flag, or just bowl along with the 3.45 crowd.

I will be pacing 4hrs, so you could join us if you like and push on around the 20 mile mark if you feel good?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Blooming

Mr Slow wrote: »

Yep.

I have a similar query. I'd love to do it in 3.45 but it might be a bit over optimistic.

Is it better to go out with the 3.45 group but if you are struggling slow down until 4.00 pacers come along?

Or should you start with 4.00 group and if you feel good at mile 20 push on? (as recommended above) my first marathon so haven't a clue :-)

Even pace people, the only way to go.

Run slow to begin with and try and hit your target in the end and you'll leave time on the course, run too fast to begin with and you increase the rate you burn energy and that will end in a bad day at the office.

• Advertisement

Is it better to go out with the 3.45 group but if you are struggling slow down until 4.00 pacers come along?

If you do that you'll come in at the 4 hour mark so you may aswell have started off with the 4 hour pacers in the first place.

Advertisement