Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭jmcc

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    The purpose of 2 is not Profit, it's Choice. That's what Public Service means.
    Yeah the government wipes out the pirates so that the state monopoly broadcaster could get its hands on all that lovely advertising loot. :) Except that 2FM is finding it difficult to compete with legitimate competition, tape, CDs, MP3s and the internet. It has even tried to reposition itself a few times now. But it is non-profit through circumstances rather than by choice. Perhaps Marty can return to 2FM and lead it into profit like a white knight in shining armour along with all those new listeners that he has gained on LyricFM?

Regards...jmcc

Mart is working on the script for the Marty Hanging with Vivaldi in Venice
    Given the amount of makeup that might be required for the interview, perhaps Vamping with Vivaldi would be more accurate? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

No,because 2 is there to tempt young listeners to become loyal to RTE's offer, and to move up eventually to One.

No,because 2 is there to tempt young listeners to become loyal to RTE's offer, and to move up eventually to One.
    According to reports, it had given up on the youth market completely and is now repositioning itself as a 30-50 demographic station. Is that Tubridy chap still on it or has the Beeb made him an offer yet? :)

Regards...jmcc

Ryan is very much in demand internationally I think and not just on mainland stations like the BBC. He's shown great loyalty to Montrose which can no longer match the compensation packages that are offered from outside our service. He is also under pressure to return to college ara historian and write books. Luckily there is still talent in depth both in television and in Radio Centre.

• Advertisement

Ryan is very much in demand internationally I think and not just on mainland stations like the BBC.
    England and Britain is not my mainland nor that of any Irish people. That's a big difference between RTE and Ireland. :) Again from what I've read, Tubridy is just a stand-in while the Beeb presenters take their holidays.
    He's shown great loyalty to Montrose which can no longer match the compensation packages that are offered from outside our service.
    Well his grandfather was the DG and that's how he got his initial job there. However he might find the American market a bit difficult as they place a lot of emphasis on looks.
    He is also under pressure to return to college ara historian and write books.
    Really? On what? How did his 'JFK does Ireland' book sell? Colleges positions tend to be hard to acquire these days and there is a lot of competition from younger historians who have actually been published academically.
    Luckily there is still talent in depth both in television and in Radio Centre.
    Yes but it rarely gets a chance to blossom when the radio and TV is full of the same tired old faces.

Regards...jmcc

A lot of us had relations who were DG or Controllers, but that doesn't produce a deep bond with the listeners. Ryan does it by being a serious intellectual under cover able to do the drab stuff but with a bonhomie on top that makes him at ease with the Light Ents side of things too. And he's multi-platform able to stretch from TV over to radio without strain. He's being prepared this year for further exposure on the online outlets and this will be highlighted in the Guide, in the Sundays and in a few selected magazines.

Our friend Diarmuid Ferriter who is the Professor of History across in UCD said very nice things about the book and gave a helping hand behind the scenes with the dry part of it. Ryan had a good interview with Diarmuid last year and he's able to return the favour I think.

We know for certain from the grapevine that Ryan was looked at to do a backup stink in the States on Jeopardy. This could yet happen because that show uses foreigners and because Ryan is so sharp, well educated and telegenic I think.

There was even an idea of doing a Jeopardy here but someone else had his eye on it so it was let go as a franchise.

A lot of us had relations who were DG or Controllers, but that doesn't produce a deep bond with the listeners. Ryan does it by being a serious intellectual under cover able to do the drab stuff but with a bonhomie on top that makes him at ease with the Light Ents side of things too. And he's multi-platform able to stretch from TV over to radio without strain. He's being prepared this year for further exposure on the online outlets and this will be highlighted in the Guide, in the Sundays and in a few selected magazines.
    The biggest mistake that the morons in the Irish Times management made was taking their site PPV. It gave RTE a clean run at the online news market and the IT has never recovered. Now that Pat Kenny has been bought by Dinny, RTE need to build up their present bunch. RTE management has a very tricky set of decisions to make about LyricFM.
    Our friend Diarmuid Ferriter who is the Professor of History across in UCD said very nice things about the book and gave a helping hand behind the scenes with the dry part of it.
    That's publishing - you review my book and I'll review yours. :)
    We know for certain from the grapevine that Ryan was looked at to do a backup stink in the States on Jeopardy. This could yet happen because that show uses foreigners and because Ryan is so sharp, well educated and telegenic I think.
    He's not telegenic. His face is highly asymmetrical and if you look at most game show hosts, they have lower levels of facial asymmetry.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Our friend Diarmuid Ferriter who is the Professor of History across in UCD said very nice things about the book and gave a helping hand behind the scenes with the dry part of it. Ryan had a good interview with Diarmuid last year and he's able to return the favour I think.

There was even an idea of doing a Jeopardy here but someone else had his eye on it so it was let go as a franchise.

If I didn't know better I would believe that different people are writing under the Yvonne23R name, there appears to be a very different style to Yvonne23R posts all of a sudden.

As for Tubbs. He will do well on BBC Radio 2 but he'd need to have a permanent show and other gigs to even come close to what he earns with RTE. At the very top of his career a few years ago Wogan was still only earning 800,000 pounds a year...That's a million euros for 10 million listeners a day, the most popular breakfast show in europe at the time. Tubbs is on half that for about 200,000 listeners.

jmcc wrote: »
    The biggest mistake that the morons in the Irish Times management made was taking their site PPV. It gave RTE a clean run at the online news market and the IT has never recovered. Now that Pat Kenny has been bought by Dinny, RTE need to build up their present bunch. RTE management has a very tricky set of decisions to make about LyricFM.

That's publishing - you review my book and I'll review yours. :)

He's not telegenic. His face is highly asymmetrical and if you look at most game show hosts, they have lower levels of facial asymmetry.

Regards...jmcc

But, sure, jmcc my man, if his face is highly asymmetrical, isn't he just like you and me then?

RTE is not about vapid appearance, it's about communication and being on the side of the simple viewer and listener at home. We're not out to shock people with faces out of Dallas or Dynasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

If I didn't know better I would believe that different people are writing under the Yvonne23R name, there appears to be a very different style to Yvonne23R posts all of a sudden.
    There is at least one other (assuming they're not the same people), look back to the posts from yesterday evening where Almaviva inadvertently replied to a post directed at Yvonne23R and then deleted it (starts here and continues on for a few posts).

But, sure, jmcc my man, if his face is highly asymmetrical, isn't he just like you and me then?
    Not necessarily. I'm sure that you've a photo or two of Tubridy around. Get a sheet of paper and cover one side of the face along the vertical axis. You will then understand about facial asymmetry.
    RTE is not about vapid appearance, it's about communication and being on the side of the simple viewer and listener at home.
    There are some who might disagree with that.
    We're not out to shock people with faces out of Dallas or Dynasty.
    I'd hate to think of the shock that Americans would get seeing some RTE people on TV. :) It is surprising that Marty never tried to get into the US market.

Regards...jmcc

There is at least one other (assuming they're not the same people), look back to the posts from yesterday evening where Almaviva inadvertently replied to a post directed at Yvonne23R
    Twice, I think.

Regards...jmcc

Lyric is being kept on a Steady as She Goes basis. Mart and the Team, as the flagship, have shown how to pull in the punters and the advertisers have begun to nibble. This is going to be spread out into the daytime schedule, to lighten the mix with more listener interaction, more competitions and more listener-generated content. Newstalk and 4FM are the audiences that will probably be pressed on. Some good insiders in magazines are already seized with enthusiasm for this.

Twice, I think.
    Quite possible - I gave up paying attention to Yvonne23R's posts a while back when I realised what the account was being used for, I had thought the other poster was serious until yesterday though.

Not necessarily. I'm sure that you've a photo or two of Tubridy around. Get a sheet of paper and cover one side of the face along the vertical axis. You will then understand about facial asymmetry.

There are some who might disagree with that.

I'd hate to think of the shock that Americans would get seeing some RTE people on TV. :) It is surprising that Marty never tried to get into the US market.

Regards...jmcc
    I think Mart did a TV show in Vegas in the Nineties. I'll check on Monday.

I think Mart did a TV show in Vegas in the Nineties. I'll check on Monday.

Why don't you check now...it appears you only have to ask yourself or someone very close to you???

Lyric is being kept on a Steady as She Goes basis. Mart and the Team, as the flagship, have shown how to pull in the punters and the advertisers have begun to nibble. This is going to be spread out into the daytime schedule, to lighten the mix with more listener interaction, more competitions and more listener-generated content. Newstalk and 4FM are the audiences that will probably be pressed on. Some good insiders in magazines are already seized with enthusiasm for this.

On a more serious note if Yvonne23R has the inside track (which he/she almost certainly does) this is very worrying, it spells the end of lyric as we know it.

However it could also be the production team just filling up social media with comments to show the montrose elders "look how well we're doing" of course carefully editing out comments from the likes of jmcc

There are very strict professional ethics in RTE regarding the use of social media or the reporting of its content, particularly under a traceable handle.

There are very strict professional ethics in RTE regarding the use of social media or the reporting of its content, particularly under a traceable handle.
    So that's why you have (at least) two?

• Advertisement

But it's Verona for Verdi and Bocelli, and then Venice for Vivaldi and Dirk Bogarde, the Red Priest, this week, with a crowd of loyal listeners tagging along, and a camera crew for the Venice leg, for the Marty Vivaldi Venice Xmas Spectacular. A lot will be recorded at night, I think, because of the crowds by day. 8 days of fun and frolics, as Mart said on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Ok, what the hell is going on here?? I didn't think this type of insider advertising was allowed on boards.ie? Should the mods be made aware of this?

pconn062 wrote: »
    Ok, what the hell is going on here?? I didn't think this type of insider advertising was allowed on boards.ie? Should the mods be made aware of this?
    I've reported the Yvonne23R account before, I assume others have done the same. Just report the posts if you haven't done so already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Given the amount of makeup that might be required for the interview, perhaps Vamping with Vivaldi would be more accurate? :)

Regards...jmcc

'Mart' was first choice for the Michael Douglas role in 'Behind the Candelabra' but turned it down out of a sense of duty to his loyal listeners. One in a million, is 'Mart'.

pconn062 wrote: »

You would be hard pressed to identify anything objectionable in my reasonable, reasoned comments, other that they comprehensively undermine the ill-founded and bandwagoning criticism of the Marty Whelan Show. The 10% increase in audience book on book speaks even louder than my rational argument. This Board can hardly be intended for a coterie to slate the work of the most successful broadcaster on Lyric. Mart is the finest of presenters, training up a whole new generation of stars, and giving the average person what she or he likes and wants more of.

Aidric wrote: »
    'Mart' was first choice for the Michael Douglas role in 'Behind the Candelabra' but turned it down out of a sense of duty to his loyal listeners. One in a million, is 'Mart'.

We sometimes joke here that Mart could get a role if they did a sequel to "Smokey and the Bandit"! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Two Tone from Limehouse

I have to say I like Marty Whelan. He doesn't take himself too seriously unlike that mint D'arcy. Or he's not roaring and shouting like that swamp donkey Hectir at 7.30 in the morning

You would be hard pressed to identify anything objectionable in my reasonable, reasoned comments,
    It has been quite clear for a while now that you have been a shill for Marty's show.
    giving the average person what she or he likes and wants more of.
    LyricFM isn't for the average person. It is for the people who like Classical music. The average people have their 2FM and RTE1 and all the other stations.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

We sometimes joke here that Mart could get a role if they did a sequel to "Smokey and the Bandit"! :)

Has he ever been mistaken for Burt Reynolds?

• Advertisement

As who? Buford T. Justice's son? :)

Regards...jmcc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement