Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever compared the sizes of the GTA Maps?

• 05-11-2011 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It'd be interesting to see scaled comparions of the maps from the various GTA games in real world units. Has anyone ever attemped to do this? It'd be possible. The newer versions track how many miles you've driven. It'd be a bit trickier for the 2d ones though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Delta_Raven1

post-20217-1100724576.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I know its RDR, but i found this a while back:

San Andreas compared to RDR
    Liberty City (IV) compared to RDR
    (Images arent the smallest)

I think its a pretty good scale comparison.

I also came across this today:
    large-video-game-worlds2.jpg

I really hope gta v is more on the size of Burnout Paradise. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

CMpunked wrote: »
    I know its RDR, but i found this a while back:

San Andreas compared to RDR
    Liberty City (IV) compared to RDR
    (Images arent the smallest)

There is no way in hell that GTA San Andreas was smaller than RDR. Id say the entire RDR map is about the size of the South West San Andreas Island. Also that GTA IV map is probably alot bigger than what is made out in that comparison picture.

I get the impression that the scale is way off in both of those posted images.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,082 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Just Cause 2's map was just ridiculous. I'd say I left about half of it untouched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I like big maps. The bigger the better IMO. Somepeople don't like all the traveling between places and thats understandable too.

The best thing to do would be to have a big map but all urban areas close together. Best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

The problem with big maps is that they are usually less detailed. Just Cause 2 had a massive map and good graphics but it got boring after a while because it was just the same old looking forest and the same old small village time and time again. Yeah it had its cool areas but they were few and far between.

They need to find the balance between size and quality. GTA 4 was pretty big and very detailed, I was really impressed by it. Some countryside thrown in will give V a nice mix of areas and hey if they can make it huge and really detailed, then great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Heres on i found...

GTA_map_comparison.jpg

The only problem I have with this one is i think that gta IV is way bigger than it is depicted here...
    I think the rest are spot on though

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

retalivity wrote: »
    Heres on i found...

The only problem I have with this one is i think that gta IV is way bigger than it is depicted here...
    I think the rest are spot on though

No I'd say that could be right. GTAIV looks like the size of the 3 cities of SA put together but with no countryside or desert

Penn wrote: »
    No I'd say that could be right. GTAIV looks like the size of the 3 cities of SA put together but with no countryside or desert

But GTA IV was wayyyyyy longer than the Vice City map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Blisterman

GTA one's map looks a little small, but otherwise I'd say it's about right. What's the map to the right of it?

Yeah, what map is in the top-right hand corner?

Blisterman wrote: »
    GTA one's map looks a little small, but otherwise I'd say it's about right. What's the map to the right of it?
    J. Marston wrote: »
    Yeah, what map is in the top-right hand corner?

An actual map of Manhattan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

yeah, the top right is downtown manhattan
    the one to the immediate right of gta 1's liberty city (above las venturas), I initially thought was gta2, but now im not so sure.
    It looks like a more blocky version of liberty city in gta 3

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

retalivity wrote: »
    yeah, the top right is downtown manhattan
    the one to the immediate right of gta 1's liberty city (above las venturas), I initially thought was gta2, but now im not so sure.
    It looks like a more blocky version of liberty city in gta 3

Liberty City map from GTA Advance

GTA2 was set in Anywhere City, with 3 districts. But those maps are like GTA1 in that they are pretty square.

Penn wrote: »
    Liberty City map from GTA Advance

GTA2 was set in Anywhere City, with 3 districts. But those maps are like GTA1 in that they are pretty square.

I'm sure they spent a long time coming up with that name.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

I don't think GTA2 ever called the city Anywhere City within the game directly. It was just set in a city in the near future, that name was given to it by the devs at some point and stuck.

This topic is worth a look if you are trying to estimate how big the map will be based on observations in the promo:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=490753

Advertisement