Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Number of new cars out there.

• 20-06-2011 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

I just went in for the scrappage scheme last week, picked up my new car just in time to figure it out for my driving test. Was wondering though at the reg number I got, it was just under 1100.

I know Monaghan isn't a huge county, but still, that seems pitiful for the middle of June. My previous car which was a 00 reg had its NCT due in March and its number was just under 1600. I knew car sales were well down on peak but have things really gotten that bad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Registered today in Dublin 11D3016X (where X is a number).

Much better than last year - Dublin only got to 28,110.

Monaghan only made it to 677 apparently last year, so well up there already!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭MonaghanPenguin

Wow, that kind of puts it in perspective all right. I honestly wouldn't have thought that sales were down that bad. I wonder how bad it would have been without scrappage!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

2000 was also a big year, so not the fairest for comparison. Dublin alone had nearly 110,0000 new cars in 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

I read on here that most councils blocked numbers 1-1000 this year from being used to some reason. So it's not a surprise that smaller counties think they have more cars sold than actually are.

I read on here that most councils blocked numbers 1-1000 this year from being used to some reason. So it's not a surprise that smaller counties think they have more cars sold than actually are.

I doubt Monaghan have registered less than 100 cars this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

most councils
    :rolleyes:

Here was me assumeing you were replyign to the thread abotu what was being said and not just putting random musings in.

Were Monaghan specifically excluded from the "most councils" anyway? It's also the 4th lowest population, I woudl have thought that counted as small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

2000 was also a big year,
    True
    Dublin alone had nearly 110,0000 new cars in 2000.
    False
    100,000 was on a Hyundai...the sales for the year ending 2000 was about 103,000.....anything after this was registered post 2000.....:)

Are most of these Monaghan cars part of a large bulk that are registered to Hire Car companies like Avis, Hertz....etc.?

G Luxel wrote: »
    100,000 was on a Hyundai...the sales for the year ending 2000 was about 103,000.....anything after this was registered post 2000.....:)

Thought it was a bit higher than that. I was one of those 103,000 :) , I'm now one of the other 10,000 or so at 112,751.I've seen 113,xxx I think. Havnt seen anything over 114,000 yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

I see loads of 11-C cars around the place. How many has leitrim got so far? I cant remember the last time I saw a Leitrim reg car not to mind a '11 one

Its good really that people are driving their cars longer rather than throwing away for the latest model when the ashtray is full as they did during the Tiger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,726 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It's better than in '09 and '10 but to put things in perspective: new car sales are still down more than half compared to '07

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fachtna

Registered two weeks ago in Cork 11C96xx

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

G Luxel wrote: »

Are most of these Monaghan cars part of a large bulk that are registered to Hire Car companies like Avis, Hertz....etc.?

Id imagine most hire cars would be registered to their head office (most likely dublin or cork) , but even if their head office was monaghan if your business was cars youd have a fairly good indication that putting monaghan registrations on cars you expect to sell on is a bad idea

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

R.O.R wrote: »
    Registered today in Dublin 11D3016X (where X is a number).

Much better than last year - Dublin only got to 28,110.

Monaghan only made it to 677 apparently last year, so well up there already!

28,110 for Dublin and 677 for Monaghan are actually 2009 numbers :o

2010 figures aren't in the book for some reason :confused:
    Id imagine most hire cars would be registered to their head office (most likely dublin or cork) , but even if their head office was monaghan if your business was cars youd have a fairly good indication that putting monaghan registrations on cars you expect to sell on is a bad idea

The rental cars that are "Country" registered are on buybacks to dealers, so they are registered to the dealers address. Gives the dealer a source of decent secondhand's with local plates to sell when they come back.

Most of the owned stock from the larger rental companies is D registered, although there are a fair few WX reg cars from Hertz as they'll go back to head office to be sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

In Galway...

I bought a new car in Feb 2007, the number was 44**.

I registered a new car last week and the number is 37** !!!

Advertisement