Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CELT vs. CELTA: The Never-Ending Story

• 10-07-2013 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I know the discussion about the differences between the CELT and CELTA is one you've probably had a million times, and I trawled through the last few pages to see if I could land upon a relevant topic, but there was nothing really convincing or definitive that I could find one way or the other.

In short, I'm planning to get a TEFL qualification. My dilemma is not based on money necessarily, but simply logistics. I know of a CELT course in my area which offers a 4 week, 120 hour intensive course with all the trimmings - but I've heard that I would be at a slight disadvantage were I to do this course instead of a CELTA in Dublin's IH (which would mean fixing accommodation etc. as I live faaaaaarrrrr awaaaayeeee).

I would mainly like to get real feedback from people who've taken the CELT or the CELTA, and whether you've noticed a disparity between them in the eyes of employers, so I would be very grateful if you had any knowledge to share.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

They are extremely similar.
    The real difference is that they are awarded by different bodies.

CELT is an ACELS award and the only recongised Certificate that allows you to teach English as a foreign Language in Ireland.

CELTA is award by Cambridge ESOL.

They are both highly recognised abroad, to the point where I doubt many employers know of a difference.

I did the CELT course in CES (Dublin) from March - April, it was easily one of the best things I've ever done.
    I'm now travelling to South Korea on Tuesday to start work as an English Teacher :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Not many people are aware either that you can pay an extra €40 if you do the CELTA and have your documents assessed to be awarded a CELT without doing any extra work. (You need to have a degree though)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CailinDeas33

Hello

I am currently tackling my first CELTA assigment due in on Tuesday.

Does anyone know the referencing / bibliography format used for CELTA.

Obviously, I can address this with my trainers on Monday, but any information before that would be much appreciated.

Thanks !!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Not many people are aware either that you can pay an extra €40 if you do the CELTA and have your documents assessed to be awarded a CELT without doing any extra work. (You need to have a degree though)

I'm on week 2 of the CELTA and am curious to know exactly how one goes about getting the CELT qualification for €40!? Have you any further information? I have the degree bit so all is good on that front!

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irishredmist

SeantheMan wrote: »

CELT is an ACELS award and the only recongised Certificate that allows you to teach English as a foreign Language in Ireland.

They are both highly recognised abroad, to the point where I doubt many employers know of a difference.

I did the CELT course in CES (Dublin) from March - April, it was easily one of the best things I've ever done.
    I'm now travelling to South Korea on Tuesday to start work as an English Teacher :)

How is teaching in Korea going? Any feedback welcomed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 irishredmist

SeantheMan wrote: »

How is teaching in Korea going? Any feedback welcomed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Best thing I ever did. Signed up for another year here.
    People are great, food is lovely, it's a completely different experience.
    There are loads of expats here too, so you can always meet other foreigners no problem.
    I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone thinking about it.

If you have any specific questions, then fire away, I'll answer them as best I can.

Advertisement