Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

shaw d whistle

Options
  • 23-07-2015 5:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

anyone tell me what the shaw d whistle is like. iv been useing a generation for some time now and stumbled across shaw 1 piece whistle just wondering if they are any use

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Personally I hate it and would never use mine in a session. Someone bought it for me as a present, that's the only reason I have one. I've never seen anyone else using one at a session either so it's not the most preferred weapon of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭madpaddy88

anything you might recommend from your experience that wouldn't burn a hole in my pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Waste of tin, and a waste of wood.

madpaddy88 wrote: »
    anything you might recommend from your experience that wouldn't burn a hole in my pocket

The DXTRAD is a nice little whistle for about €20 http://tonydixonmusic.co.uk/catalogue/

If you're prepared to push the boat out to €65, Killarney whistles are lovely. They appear to be *ahem* 'inspired by' John Sindt's design. Sindt whistles are really special. You probably wouldn't be able to get one, as he's closed his waiting list. I'm on there waiting for a Bb for about four years now! http://www.killarneywhistle.com/

he does the D whistle ready for purchase or is it when you pay for it you end up waiting. wouldn't mind paying the 65 as it looks a good quality whistle

• Advertisement

madpaddy88 wrote: »
    he does the D whistle ready for purchase or is it when you pay for it you end up waiting. wouldn't mind paying the 65 as it looks a good quality whistle
    It's a smashing whistle for the price. I've played a few. All great. I believe the wait is about a month or so.

i seen it said waiting time 4 to 6 weeks i think i might go down that road in the next week or so

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

endacl wrote: »
    The DXTRAD is a nice little whistle for about €20 http://tonydixonmusic.co.uk/catalogue/

If you're prepared to push the boat out to €65, Killarney whistles are lovely. They appear to be *ahem* 'inspired by' John Sindt's design. Sindt whistles are really special. You probably wouldn't be able to get one, as he's closed his waiting list. I'm on there waiting for a Bb for about four years now! http://www.killarneywhistle.com/

Seconded on both counts! I have both of these whistles in D and they're defo the two best I've ever had. Dixon one is great value. Killarney one has a lovely sweet tone in higher octave but the mouthpiece gets clogged very easily I find.

Tried some Chieftain soprano whistles in Dublin last week and they were mank even though they ranged from E128 to E165!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Have to agree with pretty much everything said here. My main high D whistle is the Dixon Trad in brass which you can order from Baldoyle, Dublin for 23 Euro here: http://www.irishmusik.com/tony-dixon-trad-brass-improved-tunable-whistle/

The only thing I'll say is that if you're sitting beside other whistle players with louder whistles it can get a bit difficult to hear yourself. If your sessions are noisy or you're up against louder whistles, I suggest you look at the Susato range for more volume and a punchy whistle. You can really lean into these.

In the higher price range, the Sindts are pretty much out of the question as the waiting list is closed off. Other options there are the Killarney as mentioned which is practically a clone of the Sindt, but even nicer in my opinion are the Burke whistles though these cost around 200 Euro so probably over your budget.

Don't think though that a higher price necessarily means a nicer sound, the Dixon Trad at 23 Euro is the best bang for buck whistle you'll find. I play regularly with one guy who uses a Chieftain D soprano whistle and I absolutely hate playing tunes with him, it's a loud and obnoxious whistle, maybe he can't control it properly but either way there's a horrible sound off it.

Personally though if I was you I'd just go with the Trad in brass for now, it's a perfectly balanced whistle, well in tune with itself on all notes, sweet in the second octave and can break into the 3rd octave too when needed. I think it may also have a bit more volume than the Killarney (not sure) and you can cross finger your C naturals if that's how you do them. I think the Sindts have an issue with cross fingering, so if the Killarney is a clone it may also have the same issue. Of course if you only half hole this wouldn't be a problem but just thought I'd mention it.

Sindts have a funny CNat thing going on all right. I think it's due to the fact that John makes them to suit his own playing style, and he half-holes rather than cross fingering. It bugged me a bit at first but, funnily enough, it doesn't happen any more. I'd say the technique unconsciously adjusts to suit after a while.

That said, the Killarney is bang on from the get go, and sounds remarkably similar. It's not an exact copy though. The head from one won't fit the barrel of the other. Brilliant whistle for the price.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    That said, the Killarney is bang on from the get go, and sounds remarkably similar. It's not an exact copy though. The head from one won't fit the barrel of the other. Brilliant whistle for the price.

I haven't played a Killarney yet but there's a guy that uses one at one of the sessions I go to. I got the impression it didn't have much volume? Hard to tell from just listening though. How would you compare it to the Dixon trad in volume and other characteristics? I half-hole 90% of the time as it's only on old tunes I learnt when I was starting off that I used to cross finger.

I could be temped to buy one, but I've also got my eye on the Burke whistles and perhaps also a spare Susato for those particularly loud sessions.

Advertisement