Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Good to hear.. :) Sorry for delay in reply, was off being a bit manic for myself, seem to have grounded a little now.

How are you feeling?

Back from the docs and all is well. Some valium for a few days to take the edge off my hyper thoughts and a slight change to some of my regular medication. Thanks for the reply and hope you pull through!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh i managed to get myself home eventually and not leave much..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Being on summer holidays is not good for anxiety. Not one bit. I keep thinking that all my college friends must hate me for some reason even though I haven't done much wrong except for getting really drunk and embarrassing myself before we broke up for summer. Nothing new there sure, I'm always at that. Got drunk 2 nights ago and can't remember a single thing about the night and haven't been talking to anyone since so I must have annoyed some people. Again, nothing new there.

I can never seem to shut my thoughts off and if by some miracle I do I always get a tingling in my extremities and my heart starts beating really quickly and then the thoughts start again. I constantly feel like I'm on the verge of dying even though I know I'm not.

Can't afford the doctor so just have to deal with it for now. I really hope it goes away soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Can you volunteer at anything?. I find time off very annoying now and again. Stayed off drink though mostly this week as it drives me to much darker places, if not while drinking about a day later when the blues kick in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I volunteered once but found it very hard to care about anything as there was no money involved. I'm not too bothered about helping people really. Sounds awful but its the truth.
    I've tried to get a job but its not worked out so far!

Yeah I hate the depression after a session too but it seems like my whole social life revolves around drink so I can't get away from it and in order to enjoy myself in a club I have to get drunk otherwise I'd just sit in a corner on my phone, which has happened me plenty of times when I hadn't got much money.

Just venting I suppose.

• Advertisement

Well i hope you manage to find a job so, even the smallest bit of routine is helpful. I know how it around drink. The last thing you want is attention drawn to you so easier drink than not.

This is the best comic from these guys so far, something i will send to the odd person i think; http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ie/2013/05/depression-part-two.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭worded

A swim in the 40 foot is amazing.

I'm thinking of getting some grass and getting stoned like I used to when I was a teenager. Summer time and grass .... Happy times

worded wrote: »

I'm thinking of getting some grass and getting stoned like I used to when I was a teenager. Summer time and grass .... Happy times

Not at the same time i'd hope!.

Back to work Monday. Ugghhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭worded

Originally Posted by worded View Post

Not at the same time i'd hope!.

Absolutely yes.

I remember having a life jacket in Brittas Bay on a beautiful sunny day years ago and carefully opening a Boracca type tube with a pre rolled banger in it. I had water proofed some matches with wax if I recall right.

I sparked up tilted my head back in the life jacket and bliss ..... a mother and child swam by ..... child says .... look mammy, someone with a cigarette .....

Mmmmmm the memories.

Note > do try this at home. The coast guard was on stand by and I had a sober friend near by in case I drifted away (man)

Made some calls .... I will be meeting Mr Green soon :-)

You tube > Somewhere in CourtTown
    5:16 - Oh my good good.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2MqHvbvhSg

If I win the Lotto Im bringing everyone on this thread with me on a fcuked up weekend all expenses and grass supplied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Hey guys,

I've a friend who suffers from a somewhat strange form of social anxiety, and I'm just wondering if encouraging him to do things which involve social interaction, groups of people etc. is a good idea? It's not that he lacks friends or anything, he's actually good with people that he knows and would be a lot less shy than myself and most people I know when we were in school or with a few friends or anything.. It really only affects him when he sees someone he doesn't know well/has had a previous falling out with if you know what I mean?

To get to the point.. There's a match this Sunday and someone I know has a spare ticket, I've asked him if he wants to go (he's sometimes fine with events like this, depends on how he's feeling I guess) and he said he's not feeling great this week but he said he'll go if I want him to, what should I do? I don't want to feel like I'm forcing him into going, but I genuinely want him to go and I feel it would do him good to get out and ehm.. do something that "normal people" (for want of a better term) can do.. but would it do him any good? It's easy to say it would do him good as a non-sufferer, but can anyone here tell me if it does any good to be taken out of your comfort zone? Like I think he'll genuinely enjoy the day, it's more the thought of it that would affect him if you know what I mean..

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I wouldn't over think whether he/she goes to the odd match or not.
    Generally my mates know that sometimes I show up and sometimes I don't.

Now if you know they haven't been out for weeks and weeks thats a different story. Then a kind word would be a great help.

What worries me a lot about this illness is it's taken away any fearlessness I used to have.. Now even little changes are terrifying.. What this adds up to, in my addled head anyway, is a fear of getting better/happier as that is, in itself a pretty major change..

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭100200 shih

Anyone here have withdrawal from giving up lustral ???

I am on day 10 ( cold turkey) & while the first 6 days were ok the odd brain zap but day 8 & 9 were be horrible head spinning, lots of nausea , day 10 is going ok but I am not moving from the sofa till I have too ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Never had a problem coming off Lustral, but just after changing from Cymbalta to Lustral and all told, took six weeks. I didn't do it cold turkey but was pretty miserable after I came off Cymbalta completely. Ended up taking two and a half weeks off work. The physical part was rough, but to be honest the drop in mood was a nightmare.
    Do you have any support?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Anyone here have withdrawal from giving up lustral ???

I am on day 10 ( cold turkey) & while the first 6 days were ok the odd brain zap but day 8 & 9 were be horrible head spinning, lots of nausea , day 10 is going ok but I am not moving from the sofa till I have too ,

I'll just point out the following paragraph from the advice leaflet you were given:
    Withdrawal reactions:
    Side effects relating to stopping treatment (withdrawal reactions) are common, particularly if the treatment is stopped suddenly (see section 3 If you stop takingLustral and section 4Possible side effects). The risk of withdrawal symptoms depends on the length of treatment, dosage, and the rate at which the dose is reduced. Generally, such symptoms are mild to moderate. However, they can be serious in some patients.
    They normally occur within the first few days after stopping treatment. In general, such symptoms disappear on their own and wear off within 2 weeks. In some patients they may last longer (2 - 3 months or more). When stopping treatment with sertraline it is recommended to reduce the dose gradually over a period of several weeks or months, and you should always discuss the best way of stopping treatment with your doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Hi, I'm not really sure if I have depression. My moods have been all over the place for a while. I swing between anger, sorrow, disappointment, melancholy and numbness. I feel like I'm a Jekyl and Hyde character at the moment. I had put it down to being menopausal, I'm 41, but I've been having hrt for 2 months now.

I started having Infliximab infusions and am on Methotrexate for a different medical condition. What's really worrying me is that I'm pushing my husband away and I feel like I'm very close to destroying my marraige. I just feel so disappointed with my life and myself I suppose. I thought it'd had only been going on for about a month at the severity it's at now but yesterday my husband said he's been treading on egg shells around me for months.

For about a month now I've just been shutting him out and I feel distant from him. Nothing has changed in our relationship and he's very supportive. But it's gotten really bad in the past couple of weeks and I don't even want to hold his hand. I'm not really sure what the hell is wrong with me. It's not just my husband it's everything really. Yesterday I came very close to telling my husband that I didn't want to be with him anymore and there's absolutely no reason that I should feel like this. He hasn't done anything:(

Pumpkinseeds, nothing wrong or weird about how you are feeling at all. Also your husband sounds on board. Medication can help many things but have you considered asking your doctor for a referral to a therapist be it on your own or with your husband? Medication is great but talking on top is even better and it sounds like you could both do it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

The other meds your taking could very well be influencing your mood. I'd talk your doc about this.

• Advertisement

I'll just point out the following paragraph from the advice leaflet you were given:
    [/SIZE]

Yes I have great support here at home, was on them for 2 years at 200mg per day but i have gain about 3 stone & no libido and haven't had a proper night sleep in the 2 years.
    I was suppose to taper off them from 200 mg to 100 mg but i just didnt want to take them anymore.

I was on them because of anxiety but feel now is the right time to get off them & doc also agreed

That's the important bit 100200, always, always talk to your doctor regarding drugs.

How is everyone else?. I'm still having seriously quick cycles from ok to devastated at the minute, utterly exhausted i have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I have a bad cold, so I'm sitting round feeling sorry for myself.

cloud493 wrote: »
    I have a bad cold, so I'm sitting round feeling sorry for myself.

Bizarrely a lot of people seem to be suffering a cold in the last few days.. Luckily i haven't got it so far...Nothing wrong with a bit of self-pity now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 beccaelaine

Hi, i've had social anxiety all my life. I am just wanting opinions on any over the counter tablets, which ones work or am i better to stick with prescribed meds, I just feel they're not working.

That's the important bit 100200, always, always talk to your doctor regarding drugs.

How is everyone else?. I'm still having seriously quick cycles from ok to devastated at the minute, utterly exhausted i have to say.

Ya I have cry a bit in the last couple of weeks but I do feel so much better without them tbh, on where & up where

Hi, i've had social anxiety all my life. I am just wanting opinions on any over the counter tablets, which ones work or am i better to stick with prescribed meds, I just feel they're not working.

If you feel like your prescribed meds are not working you really need to contact your doctor.. Even over the counter stuff can contra-indicate with prescribed stuff. Doctor first always Beccaelaine, welcome to the thread though, post as little or as much as you like, there'll be someone here.. ;)

Have to take some extra thorazine at night to sleep as I managed to quit the sleeping pills.

Hate that energy rush I get in my mind when I'm trying to unwind.

Stay strong all.

Very angry today. Kinda woke up like that but work is a complete mess today so I feel ready to explode at this point. If I know myself at all this will lead to a crushing low later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gossamer

Hey everyone,

I was prescribed 10mg of Lexapro for 6 months and the prescription is nearly up. I'm wondering, for anyone who has taken Lexapro before, is there any major withdrawal symptoms? I know some people wean themselves off them but I think I'd rather just stop taking them altogether after the 6 months (rather than going back to the doctor and getting a 5mg prescription). Plus, I realise everyone's body reacts differently but just a general idea would be great.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement