Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

• 16-06-2010 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

O2 are changing call charges outside the bundle of minutes included in your iPhone Price Plans from 12th July 2010.
    This change in call charges constitutes a change to the terms of the contract between O2 and you, the customer. Therefore you are free to be removed from contract without penalty.
    The changes in rates are minimal but you might just want to get yourself out of contract.
    Act fast though because if you do not contact O2 requesting to be removed from this contract in advance of 12th July you will be assumed to be accepting of the change in terms.

All info available on O2.ie under 'Terms and Conditions'

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/About%20O2/Terms+and+conditions/Customer+Notification

Your welcome :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Good spot. I didn't think they could change your contract without your consent, and silence doesn't signify acceptance, AFAIK. How stupid is that, changing terms before the iPhone is out, letting people out of contract and free to go to Three or VF......The mind boggles.:confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Are you sure there's nothing in their T&Cs that allows them to change charges, as long as you are aware, and have the option to change tariff if you want?

Don't know if there is - just wouldn't surprise me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Section 4
    -we may vary our Charges or the Deposit/PrePayment (if any) or the price plans on which they are based, or the terms thereof, at any time. We will give you such prior notice of changes as is practical.
    We will notify you of changes in our price plans (including the price plan applicable to you) and of offers and terms introduced by us, by notice to you at either your billing address or email address or by advertisements in the national press. Every invoice and notice from us to you will be deemed served 48 hours after posting or on earlier proof of delivery; every change in price plans and every offer and term will be deemed notified to you at close of business on the first day on which it is advertised in the national press or made available on www.o2.ie.

Yet in section 10
    You can terminate this Agreement without incurring termination fees if we exercise our right to change the terms of your Contract (including a change to your Price Plan). If you wish to terminate this Agreement in these circumstances you must notify us by calling 1909 or contacting us by some other reliable format within 30 days of the date we notify you or otherwise make the change publically known. Your continued use of the O2 Services as changed by us shall be deemed acceptance by you of the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

I wouldn't say its that straight forward.

If I took out an iPhone contract 2-3 weeks ago, see this, and tell them I want out, they are hardly going to let me off, and keep a subsidised iPhone.

I would guess that they have the option of keeping you in contract if they want, by not applying theses new charges to your account .

Worth a try though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

Dades wrote: »
    Are you sure there's nothing in their T&Cs that allows them to change charges, as long as you are aware, and have the option to change tariff if you want?

Don't know if there is - just wouldn't surprise me.

Follow the link I posted earlier it states on O2's webside that they have to let you out of contract as a result of these changes. But only if you request it.

Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (electronic communications networks and services)(Universal Service and Users’ rights) regulations 2003 an operator shall not shall not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service, and their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification. If you wish to exercise your right under Regulation 17 please contact O2. The continued use of O2 services after the effective date of the change is deemed acceptance of the change.

And it is true as I have already contacted O2 and they have taken me out of contract no hassle at all.

• Advertisement

Shredneck wrote: »
    Follow the link I posted earlier it states on O2's webside that they have to let you out of contract as a result of these changes. But only if you request it.

Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (electronic communications networks and services)(Universal Service and Users’ rights) regulations 2003 an operator shall not shall not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service, and their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification. If you wish to exercise your right under Regulation 17 please contact O2. The continued use of O2 services after the effective date of the change is deemed acceptance of the change.

And it is true as I have already contacted O2 and they have taken me out of contract no hassle at all.

probably a silly question:

If I buy an iphone on contract now, and its the standard contract with no mention of these new charges, can I ring up in a week and opt out, and keep the phone!?

o2 screwed me in the past, no I wouldn't hesitate!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Fair play!

I just didn't want to see dozens of iPhoners have their dreams dashed after trying to escape O2. :D

Though, as cojomo2 suggests, how would this would work with heavily subsidised handsets?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

I believe they may be entitled to request the handset be returned as part of the contract termination.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭dazedandlost

Even worse, they are stopping their webtext service from 3rd Aug !

No more Eirtext or Jelly SMS !!!!!!

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/About%20O2/Terms+and+conditions/Customer+Notification

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Though, as cojomo2 suggests, how would this would work with heavily subsidised handsets?
    You won't be able to get your handset unlocked :)
    Even worse, they are stopping their webtext service from 3rd Aug !

No more Eirtext or Jelly SMS !!!!!!
    They're not. That's Desktop text, it's a different service altogether. Webtext won't be taken down.

That would be suicide.

• Advertisement

Fair play!

I just didn't want to see dozens of iPhoners have their dreams dashed after trying to escape O2. :D

I'm not saying it's an escape from O2 I've done this and am still with O2 just no longer in contract with them.

Basically I purchased a 16gb iPhone in April for €200 and entered an 18 month contract on the Advance 150 plan a friend who works for O2 mentioned this to me - I contacted the O2 call centre a couple of days ago and now I'm out of contract but still on the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭dazedandlost

seamus wrote: »
    You won't be able to get your handset unlocked :)

They're not. That's Desktop text, it's a different service altogether. Webtext won't be taken down.

That would be suicide.

Webtext is Desktop text is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭FungiWalsh

Anyone know what the situation will be with cancelling your contract when your subsidised phone has already been unlocked by O2?

Webtext is Desktop text is it not?

No it's completely different product. WEBTEXT is the free SMS sent from O2.ie Desktop text is a product businesses could have whereby the could send sms direcly from their own Outlook

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Did I understand it right, and they are going to charge 9c call set-up charge, even for free calls on prepay?

FungiWalsh wrote: »
    Anyone know what the situation will be with cancelling your contract when your subsidised phone has already been unlocked by O2?

Doesn't make any difference. We all know the reason for the contract is in part to cover the cost of subsiding the handset but to my knowledge this isn't actually expressed in the contract itself. If they already unlocked the phone for you it's unlocked end of story this change to call charges is a seperate issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Did I understand it right, and they are going to charge 9c call set-up charge, even for free calls on prepay?
    No, it's a 9c setup charge for any calls which aren't, "calls to voicemail, calls rated at 1c per minute and free calls".

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

I'm not saying it's an escape from O2 I've done this and am still with O2 just no longer in contract with them.

Basically I purchased a 16gb iPhone in April for €200 and entered an 18 month contract on the Advance 150 plan a friend who works for O2 mentioned this to me - I contacted the O2 call centre a couple of days ago and now I'm out of contract but still on the network.

What does that mean exactly? You're pay as you go now? Or just that you're not obliged to stay with O2 for the 18 months but still pay a monthly fee with a certain amount of minutes and texts?

so is it too late to buy iphone on contract, and then phone up to get out of contract, and keep said phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Hmmm, curious. I'm cancelling mine as O2 don't seem to be getting the iPhone 4 on release date and I want to keep my options open. My contract was due up on Jan 2011 anyways, and my wife isn't going to cancel hers as the package is working for her. Will post back and report on how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

cojomo2 wrote: »
    so is it too late to buy iphone on contract, and then phone up to get out of contract, and keep said phone?

Yes. Anyone signing up after the changes would be assumed to be aware of the changes (which aren't really changes as they are now the norm, if you catch my drift)

Dortilolma wrote: »
    What does that mean exactly? You're pay as you go now? Or just that you're not obliged to stay with O2 for the 18 months but still pay a monthly fee with a certain amount of minutes and texts?

I'm still Bill Pay with exactly the same package as before I am just no longer contracted to stay with O2

chrislad wrote: »
    Hmmm, curious. I'm cancelling mine as O2 don't seem to be getting the iPhone 4 on release date and I want to keep my options open. My contract was due up on Jan 2011 anyways, and my wife isn't going to cancel hers as the package is working for her. Will post back and report on how I get on.

why wouldn't your wife cancel? I'd say she can get out of contract but remain on the plan if she wants..

why wouldn't your wife cancel? I'd say she can get out of contract but remain on the plan if she wants..

Exactly. I think people are confusing the Bill Pay Price Plan with the actual Contract

When you join a network or accept an upgrade etc you are usually contracted to that network for a period of 12 or 18 months. Generally speaking you'll have to stay with your chosen Price Plan or Tarriff for at least the first 6 months. When your 12 / 18 month contract expires you continue on your chosen Price Plan provided you don't request to change it.

The same is true for this situation - if you contact O2 and request to be taken out of contract, the contract is the only thing that changes. You will remain on the same price plan untill you choose to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Thanks for the link OP, they may well have mailed me like they claim and I would have shredded it as O2 crap.

So it seems all the iphone plans are being changed and all we have to do is ring them before the 12th of July and say sorry I dont accept those terms and your contract is done.

I just rang O2 and yes all existing iphone tariffs are affected and we can withdraw from contracts.

I might just get the iphone 4 now :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Zamp

I just rang O2 and yes all existing iphone tariffs are affected and we can withdraw from contracts.

I might just get the iphone 4 now :D:D:D

So you can withdraw from your contract, keep your phone and stay on your current monthly price plan? That's unbelievable.

I think I'll be joining the queue for an Iphone 4!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭JohnC.

That's not what is being said on the O2 forums.

And that completes the circle of their thread linking to this thread and this thread linking to theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

That's incredible! I just rang and quit my contract, granted it was up in July anyway, but nice spot for anyone just staring!
    Great spot OP, kudeos

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I just rang them, and once I'd explained to the person exactly what I wanted to do it was done almost instantly. Happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

just rang o2 there and the rep couldn't say yes/no. Said Business Support would be in contact with me in next 48 hrs.

I rhymed off the t&c wording that was posted earlier but she just wasn't sure and said they'd get back to me.

it would be great if i could get removed from the contract but stay on the plan....fingers crossed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement