Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you play a trad instrument?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

I've played the tinwhistle on and off since primary school. Have recently taken up the low whistle but will need a lot of practice before leaving the house with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Recently start tin whistle. Is there any college Soc's in or nights for learning it? Dublin city centre would be easiest. After a while doing it on your own gets hard and you tend to lose focus/struggle to keep at it a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 iankestor

I got into trad through a very roundabout method. I love music in general quite a bit, so when I finally decided I had to play, I picked whistle. Easy, portable, no tuning required, self-teachable... what could be better for someone with no attention span? It took a while, but I taught myself. Unfortunately, since I am an American living in California, it is not always easy to find the music. There are Irish pubs that host sessions. I know of at least three (there are more), and only 75 miles seperate the farthest two. Unfortunately, since I do not already know the music I cannot learn at the sessions because either so few people show up that anything you do stands out, or too many show up and you can't hear both the music and what you are doing.
    I finally found someone who can tell me where to find a good book for learning some songs of the kind that I call "session music" (I am not sure of the proper term, but this is almost exclusively instrumentals that can be played on any instrument - almost always in the key of G). As distinct from "pub" songs (drinking songs, songs with words, the stuff most Americans think of as traditional Irish).
    I tend to play whistle mostly for pop/rock and pub songs. Our band now has someone bringing us some of the session music, and it is a great change of pace to be able to switch between different kinds of music.
    Way too many words already... but I also play bass guitar (not very trad) and sing (unfortunately not as well or in the style of great Irish singers).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Button accordian, 5 Years. Nice salterelle I got. Played from age of 8 to 13 in ceoltas in Monkstown, I play the odd jig or reel now and again. Its sumtin ya'll always have and shouldnt dismiss.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

Any budding fiddler on this forum who would be into playing in a band in west of ireland. Influences waterboys steve earle, trad, Folk Rock, Anything really!!
    experience would be good but not necessary

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Any trad sessions around the Lucan area?
    I play guitar and sing ballads but would like to get some practice in on playing
    mandolin/banjo/bouzouki in a session.

I also have started to learn the fiddle........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

There are a couple of open Trad sessions within 10 min drive of Lucan. There is one in the poitin stil in rathcoole on wednesdays that Tom Moran organised.

There is another one in the Celbridge House on thursdays (I've never been to this one)

I play the guitar and banjo/mandolin and have a bodhran that I hit sometimes. I'm going to learn the fiddle in the new year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭lank

Learning the guitar meself, but the real reason I'm on here at the moment..

I'm looking for a few musical-ishins, to spice up a party in North Dublin, mid March-ish. A bit of Rocky Road to Dublin and plenty of hupdiddlyaye! Any williing bodies out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Sad to say I played banjo/mandolin for over ten years and have All Ireland Fleadh medals for mandolin, but haven't picked either one up in years... Also have all my classical piano exams completed up to grade 8

:( I must pick up the mandolin again.......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,086 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just started (literally - one lesson down) the concertina.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 madfortrad5958

i play tenor banjo myself
    anyone interested in irish ballads
    have a look here

time to look at the new bands on the scene
    here we go then in no particular order
    THE MIGHTY GHOSTS OF ERIN
    THE REBEL HEARTS
    PLUCK THE DUCK
    THE DRUIDS
    MANGANS MEN
    DIVILDABIT

ALL THESE BANDS CAN BE VIEWED ON MY BEBO PAGE OR YOUTUBE
    www.bebo.com/aljd5958
    or
    http://www.youtube.com/madfortrad5958

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭lolly22

Same as you Dancingqueen, mandolin and banjo were my first when i was 9, and then guitar(but not trad on guitar) fiddle and got the medals in any fleadh's i could get too, i loved playing them all and going to sessions, but gave them up for good few years which i regreted.

Took them back up recently, and didnt realise how quick it all comes back to you, and definitely taking up an instrument is something ill incourage my little girl to do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ukulelvis

I learned the fiddle when i was a kid and am just starting it up again. Hadn't even opened the case in twenty years, so took it into McCullough Pigott in Dublin to see if they'd give the once over and see if anything needed doing. It's been in the loft in the meantime with all the extremes of temperature that goes with it. He said it's a great fiddle in great nick and all he needed to do was replace the snapped G string!

Have been sawing away a bit recently and it's going better than I thought it would, but having defected to fretted instruments in the past two decades (guitar, mandolin, ukulele) it's taking a while to get my intonation back.

How 'good' do have to be to think about joining in sessions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

That really depends on the session. My own Comhaltas branch have a slow session for beginner adult musicians before our regular session on Tuesday nights It's perfect for people who want to get back into playing but maybe don't want to launch themselves straight into a full speed session. And as a few of our branch teachers who would be used to dealing with all different standards of musicians freqent the regular session, there's always a very friendly welcoming atmosphere.

You really just need to do your research on the session you want to join in with. Some musicians can be very set in their ways and don't like new musicians joining in with them, or if they do allow that they may expect you to be of the same standard as them.

Sorry if this is a little off-topic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ukulelvis

Good advice, thanks. Having pulled the thread onto a side road, I'll ease it back onto the highway by adding that I play a bit of mandolin and whistle too (although I can't get my fingers to obey me when I'm on the low whistle).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭lolly22

ukulelvis wrote: »
    How 'good' do have to be to think about joining in sessions?

Hey Ukulevis sorry i only seen this now :) but id say pretty much what Fc said, although i havent gone to sessions in good few years i do remember the one's that i went to were for everyone, and anyone was welcome every age and what ever level of experience you had, they are a great way too meet people and i found when i started learning, playing with people who have been playing years in these sessions was great as i learned just as much off them as i did from my teachers.

Anyway you dont have to be amazing to go to one so go for it, they are great fun and good luck with it.:)

Oh and to go back on topic once again...................my very very very first instrument was tin whistle and i was absolute ****e :pac::p:p (strings were ment for me!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Tin whistles and low whistles, recently started pipe lessons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rickupinoft

I play tenor banjo and tin whistle mainly. I also play around with a few other instruments but not to the same standard. If anybody is interested in starting house sessions around the Drimnagh or Cabra area, you can let me know via pm or email. Would be interested to give it a go, though my house may not be suitable for holding sessions itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Eire's Rose

I play tin whistle and love it, can't get the tune's quick enough! I learned years ago and have got back into it again recently. I keep the whistle on the kitchen counter and play away whenever I get five minutes. I'm also learning the violin at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Sarky wrote: »
    Playing the bodhran is a bit more complicated than hitting it with a stick, you know.

I once was told ........that for some people the bodhran is best played with a penknife.:D

I play the Mandolin and T Banjo myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭loopyloulilly

I play the whistle. Woohoo!! Up ya boy ya!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

I play the tin whistle :o

I've always been into Irish music, so I decided to get a whistle. Unfortunately I can only play one song on it, as I don't have any books to teach me. I wish there was an Irish band here in Sweden that I could join :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I've always been into Irish music, so I decided to get a whistle. Unfortunately I can only play one song on it, as I don't have any books to teach me. I wish there was an Irish band here in Sweden that I could join :)

You should try and find videos on youtube on how to play the whistle and you can also find music on the net

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,086 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are certainly Anglo concertina players there - some of them may play ITM. You could post on http://www.concertina.net/forums/ and find them.

Thanks! :)
    I'll look in to that ;)

Oh, I almost forgot... I also play cello and recorder :)
    And I siiing... All the time. Especially Irish songs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭EastTyrone

play the banjo and mandolin, not exactly good, mostly play balloads/songs but getting more into jigs reels etc atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bladecatcher

Play tin whistle, flute, nd low whistle...does the spoons count?? :p Im determined to learn piano too during the summer!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dc3500

i play the flute with a band, about 20 flute players and 6 drummers...currently learning the drum, absolutely love it!!!

plenty of days out and good craic,,:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

Learnt the violin when I was 15/16 and wish I'd kept it up. Would love to play the box...

Advertisement