Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you play a trad instrument?

• 13-08-2004 4:19pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I play the flute meself, love it to bits, even though I'm not brilliant or anything.

My best mate Sinéad is buying her concertina soon, and there will be some jamming sessions!!!

What bout you lot?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

I play the Bodhran & tinwhistle - the bodhran is a new venture but going well,
    I also used to sing trad in & around local area, pubs etc .... group kind of went its seperate ways though - but I love to sing most of all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I used to play the tin whistle but I'm well out of practice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭*Sinéad*

i've spent my whole summer in a factory so I can afford a concertina, soon i tells ya!!!! soooon.

Why has the concertina captured me so?, why not the penny whistle??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

I intend to learn how to play an instrument in college this year, though I'm already known for being quite an eager player of the bodhran (if not a particularly good one).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I dabble in tenor banjo, mando, bazooki and geetar. i'll make a stab at anythin with strings. there really is nothin like knockin out a few songs over a few pints of a sunday afternoon. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I play the melodian and have been know to beat the ol' goats skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Does the guitar count? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Shanners (the)

I play drums for a trad group. also play the bodhran. Seems to be a lot of bodhran players about!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Learned the tin whistle in school, have some experience in the piano accordian. I'd love to get back into playing again, have a lot more enthusiasm for it now than I did a few years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

played tin whistle for years, stopped at 15 (when I finished my 3 years with teach siamsa finnuig and didn't get into siamsa tire). Id like to try the illan (sp?) pipes or the banjo. When I get back to Ireland for christmas Im gonna get a bodhan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

I play the Piano Accordion and Tin Whistle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

I play the Mandolin meself. Is there any bands out there looking for one in Dublin. I'd love to start playing live...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Betsy

I play the flute, love it, and wish I could get to more sessions :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Shadowdancer

Fiddle,Mandoline,Whistles and Blues Harp.

Let the Dance begin,
    S.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

fiddle tin whistle, well not so good on the tin whistle. I can get a tune out of a 4 string banjo but I dont play it very often.

saving up for a new fiddle anyway. little treat for myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Shadowdancer

Anybody interested in Tin Whistle should really be here

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/

Let the Dance begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 SteveFE

Banjo, mandolin, guitar. Also bash an electric bass at me local session but that's not exactly a trad session ;)

Keane's Bar in Mountshannon, Clare, Thursday nights if you're down that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Banjo, Mandolin, Uilleann Pipes, Feadóg, Guitar, Bass Guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've been playing the bodhran for nearly four years. I had become, I like to think, quite good at it, but I'm somewhat out of practice. I can also play the bones, and the spoons as long as you're not expecting anything amazing...

Can a Boardsie trad bash be far off? Probably not... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

That'd be class...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Im a rock drummer but when younger always wanted to play the concertina what a sound Charles O'Connor of Horslips was fab on it and it stuck in my head form there on luv that instrument.
    Laughing at the post saying lots of Bodrhan player around:
    yeah sure aren't half of the Clare hurlers supporters Bodrhan playerS!!

ciao' amigos,,,Baggio,,,,,,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Playing the bodhran is a bit more complicated than hitting it with a stick, you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Used to play the accordion for about 6 years or so - gave it up when I moved to college - I should really start it up again.

Used to play the tin whistle as well - would love to be able to play the flute - it has a lovely sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sunnyjimac

hey yiz'all.

Im a clarinet player by heart, but i play de drums/guitar and a bit of the tin whistle aswell though. Anyone know of any pubs with some decent sessions? i used to play with a group but i dropped it years ago....wanna get back into the tunes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭[ Daithí ]

I only play guitar nowadays, but I used to play the tinwhistle a bit. I'd love to learn how to play the bodhrán, the uilleann pipes or even bagpipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

Tá bainseo agam. Ye can’t beat "Paddy’s Return" for a tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Good stuff dying to do Horslips mark 2!!!!!

what ya think gang?? ............ciao' Baggio

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Guitars, Mandolin, Bazouki, Bodhrán. After taking up the whistle. Hope to get that down soon.

I'm 19 years old and living in Drogheda. If anybody's interested in putting something together over the next year or so let me know. I've well up on all things folk / traditional. The kind of setup I'm looking at is Acoustic Guitars, Mandolin, Banjo, Whistles, Fiddle, Bodhrán and anything else that will come in handy. Bazouki, Uileann Pipes etc.. Want some decent enough singers, preferably 3 or 4. So if you can play 1 or all the above let me know. I'm willing to try new instruments if needs be.

I have some stuff similar to the sound I'm going for if anybody wants to hear it. Sorry if its the wrong topic. Cheers folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Eoghan-psych

Flute, tin whistle and low whistle [well, I did until I left it somewhere and can't afford a replacement]. I'm well out of practice though - picked up the flute at the weekend and had serious aches after just a couple of tunes, and one of my lungs seems to have been removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

well out of practice at: guitar, tin whistle, piano.
    played trad stuff on piano for years, i've not met many others who've done it.
    would love to get a low whistle and a bodhran, but have a funny feeling i wouldnt have the time to put into it.... =0(

Advertisement