Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung TV with Built in SAORVIEW & Freeview

• 13-12-2011 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I recently bought a Samsung 32inch TV with Built in Saorview and Freeview. I am wondering how i can hook up a Satellite dish to receive the freeview uk channels as i cannot get freeview uk where i live. (Cavan area) (i have another tv with freeview). Would i need to buy a reciever or what kind of dish would work if i connected directly to the TV??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I assume you mean with Saorview/FreviewHD and a FreeSat tuner built in?

Just connect the TV antenna to the usual TV antenna port and tune in the SaorView channels.

There should be an F-connector on the back for the satellite connection. Simply connect a feed from a standard Sky-type dish to that socket and you should get the free-to-air satellite channels from the UK.

If the TV has a recording and live pause facility i.e. like Sky+ you will probably need two cables from the satellite dish as it has two tuners on board. (same as a Sky box).

Any decent local satellite installer will be able to hook it up for you. If you already have a Sky dish, you can just do it yourself without much difficulty by just connecting the TV to the Sky cabling.

Basically your TV has a satellite receiver (free to air) and a DVB-T (digital terrestrial tuner) built in. So, you don't need anything other than an antenna for the DVB-T (Saorview) and a standard dish for the DVB-S (FreeSat).

No separate boxes should be needed at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

BRADYAN wrote: »
    I recently bought a Samsung 32inch TV with Built in Saorview and Freeview. I am wondering how i can hook up a Satellite dish to receive the freeview uk channels as i cannot get freeview uk where i live. (Cavan area) (i have another tv with freeview). Would i need to buy a reciever or what kind of dish would work if i connected directly to the TV??

A 60cm dish would do fine with a Saorview + Freesat box combined. Plenty of places offering both so shop around. If you already have a Sky dish then all you'll need to do is run a second cable from the LNB to your tv.

http://www.satellitetv.ie/shop/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BRADYAN

I'm not sure its freesat. I haven't opened it, its an xmas press for the parents. It doesn't mention freesat, just freeview and saorview. Also would i be able to do this also for my other TV that has just uk freeview...

I'm not sure its freesat. I haven't opened it, its an xmas press for the parents. It doesn't mention freesat, just freeview and saorview. Also would i be able to do this also for my other TV that has just uk freeview...

If it's just FreeView/SaorView that's DVB-T i.e. terrestrial channels only.

You can use the TV's built in tuner for RTE/TV3/etc on Saorview and just get yourself a nice FreeSat box for the UK stuff.

Price depends on what you want to get, loads of options!

Freesat installation is pretty much identical to a Sky installation, just with a different box which you purchase yourself.

Explains everything : http://www.freesat.co.uk/

You'd typically get a HD box and connect it to your TV via the HDMI port and you'll get nice HD images.

Saorview will give you some HD content RTE 2 HD etc.

I've been told that if i got a couple of sky boxes and satellite dish on donedeal or adverts.ie that i can get the uk freeview stations?

• Advertisement

I've been told that if i got a couple of sky boxes and satellite dish on donedeal or adverts.ie that i can get the uk freeview stations?

I'd avoid buying sky boxes to be honest. Ideally what you want is a combo box with Saorview and freesat.

Do you already have a Sky dish connected up to your house?

No i dont have a satellite, my mate has just done something similar and done it for another mate once he got his own up and running. I'm just trying to keep down my costs to be honest (cavan man!!)

Well, if your TV already does Soarview you could just get a FreeSat box installed and let the TV handle Saorview itself.

The only advantage of having a combo box is that you can combine it all into a single menu system and you might have DVR recording possibilities for Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Vanbis wrote: »
    I'd avoid buying sky boxes to be honest. Ideally what you want is a combo box with Saorview and freesat.

Do you already have a Sky dish connected up to your house?

The op stated that the tv is saorview compatible so no need for a combo box.

Seeing as he's from Cavan:D His best & cheapest bet might be to get a Skybox(don't get a SkyHD box-epg is crippled on them for fta) and dish for fta,no need to retune the box,his other option is a Freesat box but they'll cost a bit more.

Cheers folks, thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    The op stated that the tv is saorview compatible so no need for a combo box.

Yes i know. I thought he mentioned having a second tv and didn't mention if it had Saorview or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

can a satellite dish receive from say astra 28 and eurobird at the same time or does it have to be moved to receive from
    a second satellite

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Are you referring to Eurobird 1 @ 28.5 degrees east? This satellite is close enough to the Astra satellites @ 28.2 east so that your dish will see them all as one position in the sky, no need to move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

thanks, so the one dish and one lnb will pick up transmissions from both ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Yes, all the UK channels, subscription & free are spread across the satellites at 28.2 & 28.5 east.

Advertisement