Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Elton John in the front row there.

A man of good taste, evidently.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Not forgetting Mickey from the Monkees..............lol!

Good man Ringo - 8 out of 10 :D

Screamer in the front row..........:)

Ah, the good old Marshall Speakers..........guaranteed to leave you deaf with ringing in the ears for the next few days!.......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,576 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ah, Ringo. The joker in the pack. He tells a funny story on the anthology video of the scene in one of the movies (Hard Days Night, I think) where he's moping around looking lovesick or something while a song (If I Fell, i think) is playing. He says he got complimented on his acting, but in reality he was just totally hung over and was just stumbling about trying not to get sick.

Great fella, Ringo. Went to see him and The All Starr Band in the point years ago. Rubbish and amazing at the same time. Still have the ticket.

• Advertisement

That was terrific,

It has been an honour and a privilege, folks. Hope to see you here again soon << Salutes >>

Ah, back to Please Please Me.

Lads, it's been great. Defo a good future for this thread.

Party on.

alright, one last encore from me :o

I have to agree with John Lennon's Aunt Mimi - Love me do is one of my least favourite Beatles songs
    Upon first hearing an acetate of ‘Love Me Do’, John Lennon’s aunt Mimi supposedly informed her nephew: “If you think you’re going to make your fortune with that, you’ve got another think coming”. However, upon hearing an acetate of ‘Please Please Me’ some time later Mimi told Lennon: “That’s more like it, that should do well”.

http://blogcritics.org/please-please-me-turns-50/

Coming your way on fabulous BBC4 ...

BBC4 Thursday 21 Nov 7.30pm - Top of The Pops
    Tony Blackburn presents an edition from December 14, 1978, with performances by Rocky Sharpe & the Replays, Hot Chocolate, Buzzcocks, Elkie Brooks, Mankind, Chic, Elton John and Boney M. Plus, dance sequences by Legs & Co

BBC4 Friday 22 Nov 9pm - John Denver: Country Boy
    Documentary exploring the private life and public legacy of singer-songwriter John Denver, America's original `country boy', who died in 1997. The programme features the accounts of those closest to him, revealing the man behind the music in an intimate profile to mark the year in which he would have turned 70

BBC4 Friday 22 Nov 10pm -Country at the BBC
    A compilation of BBC session performances by country artists from the past four decades, including Tammy Wynette, Emmylou Harris, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Charley Pride, Kris Kristofferson, Garth Brooks, Willie Nelson, Alison Krauss, Taylor Swift, kd lang and Billie Jo Spears

BBC4 Friday 22 Nov 11pm - John Denver at Wembley Arena
    A classic performance by the US musician at London's Wembley Arena in 1979, as part of a selection of programmes to mark the 70th year since the birth of the quintessential `country boy'

BBC4 Friday 22 Nov 11.40pm - Sounds of the Seventies 2 - Guilty Pleasures - Love will Keep us Together
    Celebrating some of the decade's most recognisable classics, including performances by the Carpenters, Bread, Charles Aznavour, 10cc, John Denver, Bellamy Brothers, Exile, Captain & Tennille and Dr Hook

BBC4 Friday 22 Nov 12.10 am (early Saturday am) - Glen Campbell: The Rhinestone Cowboy
    An insight into the life of country music star Glen Campbell, documenting his remarkable journey from an impoverished childhood to worldwide fame and success as a guitarist and singer with records including Wichita Lineman and Rhinestone Cowboy. Featuring contributions by family, friends and colleagues including Jimmy Webb, Micky Dolenz and Bob Harris

BBC4 Saturday 23 Nov 11pm - Kings of 70s Romance
    Celebration of 1970s singers such as Barry White, Leo Sayer and Gilbert O'Sullivan, whose lyrics conjured up images of candlelit dinners and red roses for the more mature woman. While teenage girls were screaming for Donny Osmond and David Cassidy, these alternative heart-throbs enabled millions of female fans to escape the drudgery of everyday life.

BBC4 Saturday 23 Nov 12.40 am (early Sunday am) - Anyone for Demis: How the World Invaded the Charts
    Documentary charting Britain's love-hate relationship with foreign pop music, from Hawaiian hits during the Second World War to the emergence of internationally successful acts such as Ladysmith Black Mambazo. The programme explores how the package holiday boom of the 1960s led to success for singers including Demis Roussos, Sylvia and Nana Mouskouri, examines the rise and fall of Belgium's Singing Nun, and asks whether the globalisation of chart music has put an end to the days of the foreign pop phenomenon.

A mixed bag of country, crooners and seventies tune-rs there.

That Glen Campbell doc sparked a bit of chat around here the last time it was show, it went down well. I think the John Denver programme is new.

• Advertisement

*polishes rhinestones*

Okay, ready!

I reckon Country at the BBC will be repeated after the Glenn Campbell one.

Looking forward to it. Well, most of it. The guilty pleasures one looks slightly less than interesting (to me anyway).

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    *polishes rhinestones*

Okay, ready!

I reckon Country at the BBC will be repeated after the Glenn Campbell one.

Looking forward to it. Well, most of it. The guilty pleasures one looks slightly less than interesting (to me anyway).

It is indeed, Donie, although not until 2.10am (John Denver is repeated first, at 1.10am)

Em, I'm a bit embarrassed.

I know all the words of everything on the night in question.

Every word. None of this Karaoke baloney for me........:)

Sounds of the 70's not doin it for me so far...

Aaaagh....10cc.....aaaargh....

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Sounds of the 70's not doin it for me so far...

Aaaagh....10cc.....aaaargh....

I'm inclined to agree.

It's a bit like "70s Videos we have in the archives which werent good enough to show on TOTP2, or on Sounds of the Seventies Volume 1"

It's a programme you would be better off recording and then skipping to the odd song which does interest you..

Like this one from Happy Gilmore!

I will also reluctantly admit that i kinda dig this Dr Hook tune.

Glenn Campbell's mother was from Tipperary?

Feelin pretty proud right now!

G'wan Glenn!

You have definitely got something if Jimmy Webb gets down on his knees and prays that he meets you.

Chuck Berry was pretty p*ssed off with the Beach Boys in that movie last week. Rightly so, probably.

'Course then Chuck had other problems round about that time!

Anyway, I've no shame in admitting I dearly love Gentle on my mind.

• Advertisement

Blues, Blues, Blues!
    And a few other bits and bobs (Channel 4 have a Rock Night on Sunday featuring, I listed that too, because it's good to see them getting in on the act)

Thursday

Top of the Pops 1977: Big Hits
    Thursday 7.30pm BBC 4 - repeated Thursday Night 1.30am and Saturday Night 12.05 am
    A selection of highlights from the pop show's 1977 editions, including performances by Rod Stewart, the Jacksons, Queen, the Stranglers, Brotherhood of Man, David Bowie, Bob Marley, Baccara, Heatwave and Elvis Costello

(I think they have no more regular 70s TOTP editions they can show until Christmas, so it's back to compilations. A sort of TOTP 1 and a half)

Friday - BBC4 Blues Night

BBC 4 Sessions - Tom Jones
    Friday 8pm
    The veteran singer performs a set of country, blues, folk and gospel music at LSO St Luke's, London. Featuring collaborations with Seasick Steve on Fred McDowell's You Gotta Move, Tom Paley on the Mississippi Sheiks' Sitting on Top of the World, and Josh Osho on Big Bill Broonzy's Black, Brown and White

Blues America - Part 1 (of 2)
    Friday 9pm (repeated Friday Night 12.30am and Sunday Night 11.55pm)
    Woke Up This Morning Part one of two. A look at the early years of blues music, a genre which began as a form of black pop, to discover how Bessie Smith, Blind Lemon Jefferson and Charlie Patton used the latest media to bring their sound to the public. With contributions from Keith Richards, Taj Mahal and Chuck D

Blues at the BBC
    Friday 10pm (repeated Friday Night 12.30am and Sunday Night 12.55am)
    Archive footage of blues performances from the past 50 years. Featuring famous songs by Son House, the Kinks, BB King, John Lee Hooker and Eric Clapton, plus lesser-known tracks by Freddie King, Delaney & Bonnie and Long John Baldry

Seasick Steve: Bringing It All Back Home
    Friday 11pm (repeated Friday Night 2.30am)
    The Delta blues singer reflects on his rise from homelessness to become a favourite on the festival circuit. The documentary follows the musician to the run-down juke joints, roadside diners and freight-train yards he used to frequent in Mississippi and Tennessee

Glastonbury: Seasick Steve
    Friday 11.30pm (repeated Friday Night 3am)
    Mark Radcliffe introduces a performance on the West Holts Stage by the popular US bluesman, whose previous appearance at the festival was in 2010 on the main Pyramid Stage. His set-list in 2013 is likely to include tracks from his most recent album Hubcap Music

Saturday

Queens of British Pop
    11pm
    Season 1 Episode 1 of 2
    First in a two-part celebration of 12 female singers who have influenced British pop music over the past 50 years. This programme looks at the 1960s and 70s, when Dusty Springfield, Sandie Shaw, Marianne Faithfull, Suzi Quatro, Kate Bush and Siouxsie Sioux were involved in some of Britain's defining musical movements. Tom Jones, Burt Bacharach, Jarvis Cocker, John Lydon and Henry Winkler contribute, along with some of the female stars themselves. Liza Tarbuck narrates

Rock Family Trees
    1.05am
    The Birmingham Beat Music journalist Pete Frame explores the careers of musicians including Jeff Lynne, Roy Wood and Denny Laine, whose roots in the Birmingham rock scene led to the creation of some of Britain's best-known bands, including the Move, ELO and the Moody Blues

Sunday

The Man Who Brought the Blues to Britain: Big Bill Broonzy
    9pm
    Documentary exploring the life of the influential musician, uncovering the mystery of who he really was and charting his journey from the Deep South, to the clubs of Chicago, to becoming an internationally recognised star. Featuring contributions from Pete Seeger, Ray Davies, Keith Richards, Martin Carthy, John Renbourn, members of the Broozny family and Bill's own words read by Clarke Peters

** Channel 4 Sunday - Rock Night **

9pm 50 Years of Rock Excess - Amps, Whips and Rebel Riffs
    Alice Cooper introduces a night of programmes dedicated to rock. This documentary kicks things off with an insight into the history of the music genre, telling the story of how the giant bands of the 1970s changed rock for ever. With contributions from Alice Cooper, Josh Homme and Andrew WK, the programme journeys thought the greatest tales of extravagance, excess and indulgence from the world of rock and asks how the genre will continue to evolve in the digital age

11.10 pm Rock Night: Queens of the Stone Age - iTunes Festival Special

12.10am Queen Live at Wembley

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I saw an ad on the tv a few days ago on Rock Gods & featured Bruce Springsteen, Queen and a few others, i could have sworn i saw the date the 23rd but saw nothing on the tv guide, did anyone else see the same thing?

Wahey!

See you next week Ryan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Skid X wrote: »

Rock Family Trees
    1.05am

Hope this is a rerun of the complete series. A must see programme. Pete Frame is a genius.

I saw an ad on the tv a few days ago on Rock Gods & featured Bruce Springsteen, Queen and a few others, i could have sworn i saw the date the 23rd but saw nothing on the tv guide, did anyone else see the same thing?

I can't see anything listed like that, unfortunately ... maybe it was a general trailer for Channel 4's Rock Night, or their new series of music programmes?

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/an-impressive-roster-of-music-documentaries-set-to-air-on-channel-4
    Channel 4 Music has commissioned an impressive roster of music documentaries for the autumn season celebrating rock, gay pop culture and folk. Plus there’s an incredible line-up of gigs from some of the world’s most renowned and respected music artists.

December’s Rock Night will be introduced by music legend Alice Cooper who’ll be offering up his very own guide to being a rock star. This special night of programing will include 50 Years of Rock Excess: Amps, Whips and Rebel Riffs; a documentary which tells the story of how The Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath spawned the rock genre and the the excessive lifestyle that went with it. Also featured will be musical talents Josh Homme, Andrew W.K. and Black Sabbath drummer Bill Ward.

Continuing the rock theme there’s an exclusive chance to see the Josh Homme perform in Queens of the Stone Age at 2013 iTunes Festival. Plus what is possibly the finest rock spectacle of all time Queen Live at Wembley 1986.

Later in December Queer as Pop (working title) details how the gay clubs and scene have inspired and influenced the music mainstream over the last 40 years. This fascinating documentary shows how music has been influenced by the political and social liberation of gay men. From the repealing of laws banning homosexuality leading to disco through to the David Bowie inspired New Romantics.

Nile Rodgers, Paul Oakenfold, Jake Shears and Erasure’s Andy Bell will talk through the evolutionary music scene spanning disco, new romantics, house through to Gaga, and beyond.

As part of this special night and continuing the theme of the musical glitz and glamour two incredible gigs from two superstar acts with roots in the gay scene will air: Chic Feat. Nile Rodgers Live at iTunes Festival and Kylie Showgirl Tour London 2006.

More 4 will celebrate how Folk became cool. In Get Folked: The Great Folk Revival Ade Edmondson, Bob Geldof, Frank Turner, Jake Bugg and Billy Bragg explain the enduring appeal of this music genre and why it’s recent resurgence is so perfectly timed. There’ll be outstanding acoustic performances from The Unthanks, Jake Bugg and Newton Faulkner.

To continue the folk celebration More 4 will be showing a folk special from iTunes Festival that includes a compilation of the best folk and acoustic performances from this year’s festival with Jack Johnson, Jake Bugg, The Lumineers. As well as Big Easy Express, a feature documentary with folk stars Mumford and Sons, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Skid X wrote: »
    I can't see anything listed like that, unfortunately ... maybe it was a general trailer for Channel 4's Rock Night, or their new series of music programmes?

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/an-impressive-roster-of-music-documentaries-set-to-air-on-channel-4

I Just realised on where i saw the channel it was meant to be on was Bio HD Ch & a fruitless search led me to find out that it was replaced on Nov 4th with Lifetime HD 151/291 Ch. But about 2wks ago before the 23rd date i saw the ads for Lifetime as well!
    As Bio used to have good programmes on it, but instead i tuned into the ch & all you get is The Real Houswives of New Jersey & not NJ Rocker Bon Jovi :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

On a tangential note, I'm off to the 'Celebration of Bert Jansch' concert at the Royal Festival Hall on Tuesday next.

BBC4 will be filming it for broadcast in the new year & performers on the night will include Clapton, Robert Plant, Donovan, Roy Harper & more.

Fans of the Zep may recognise the tune below, which Jimmy Page ripped off something rotten.

http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/whatson/a-celebration-of-bert-jansch-79063?dt=2013-12-03

• Registered Users Posts: 71,618 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Good stuff from Mr. Jones at the moment.

The boyo done good!

Lovely stuff.

He has a great love of music, and he has more diverse tastes than most people would realise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,618 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Actually prefer this version than Leonard Cohen's.

*awaits abuse*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement