Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alanstrainor bought a 325CI!!!

• 07-04-2012 3:47pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This thread takes an interesting turn here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78281658&page=5

You can forget the rest!

Anyone have any experience with these?

Should be good to go to change my car in the next 2 months, and i've been looking at these for the last while.

The reason I'm drawn to them, is reasonable performance and relatively cheap insurance (7/800). The likes of Civic type R's just aren't viable because they're either insanely expensive or impossible to insure.

The engine is the same 190bhp unit in the celica, so if anyone know's something about that engine i'd like to hear it!

Budget is 3/4000, want something fun(can't deal with an MX5:pac:) and relatively fast. Preferably around 2 litre. Do about 8000kms per year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

This is a bit left field, but a fine motor nonetheless, you like the Alfa's too iirc..:D

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/156/2.0/5513318241490620/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You've to get the revs up to get power. A golf gti or audi s3 would be more of a hoot to drive, with that kind of mileage id be buying a porche.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

Had one for a few years. They go through oil like a tramp goes through special brew.

Had loads probs with engine and that was with a full Toyota GB service history. ( they were the only ones that ever worked on the car)

Flogged it at a big loss. Was told the celica had recalls for dodgy seals? But Toyota wouldn't admit the corolla suffered the same prob despite the same engine.

Avoid the compressor- they are even worse. They were made with all the spares left floating around from the t-sport.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You've to get the revs up to get power. A golf gti or audi s3 would be more of a hoot to drive, with that kind of mileage id be buying a porche.

A porsche at 23 with 2 years NCB just isn't feasible unfortunately! Never liked that gen golf either. The S3 is a bastard on the insurance front too.
    Limbo123 wrote: »
    Had one for a few years. They go through oil like a tramp goes through special brew.

Had loads probs with engine and that was with a full Toyota GB service history. ( they were the only ones that ever worked on the car)

Flogged it at a big loss. Was told the celica had recalls for dodgy seals? But Toyota wouldn't admit the corolla suffered the same prob despite the same engine.

Avoid the compressor- they are even worse. They were made with all the spares left floating around from the t-sport.

Interesting. I've read posts online about that engine burning oil, but it seems hit and miss from what i've read. Some do, and some don't, not too sure though. What kind of mileage was on your one?

What kind of engine trouble did you have?

The compressor is out of my price range by the looks of things anyway!

Cheers for the replies!

A porsche at 23 with 2 years NCB just isn't feasible unfortunately! Never liked that gen golf either. The S3 is a bastard on the insurance front too.

Interesting. I've read posts online about that engine burning oil, but it seems hit and miss from what i've read. Some do, and some don't, not too sure though. What kind of mileage was on your one?

What kind of engine trouble did you have?

The compressor is out of my price range by the looks of things anyway!

Cheers for the replies!

Bought mine at 12000miles with one previous owner (a Toyota director). Had it fully serviced every 8/10000 miles by Toyota. Engine seized at 33k - a few weeks after warranty run out and two weeks after being serviced. They said no oil in car which was bull as I had only drove it some 30 miles since service. Needles to say a £6000 worth of rebuild. Toyota said they would meet me half way with costs as out of warranty. And that was after putting up a fight

A year later (52000miles) oil pump explodes on way to work. Toyota didnt want to know. Despite a FULL documented toyota service history and receipts for everything ever done on the car by the same Toyota garage. Two engine rebuilds in less than 20k miles. Fook that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Limbo123 wrote: »
    Engine seized at 33k - a few weeks after warranty run out and two weeks after being serviced. They said no oil in car which was bull as I had only drove it some 30 miles since service.

There is no way it burned off all the oil in 30 miles

The oil burning issue affected the 140bhp engine and not the 190bhp AFAIK

johnos1984 wrote: »
    There is no way it burned off all the oil in 30 miles

The oil burning issue affected the 140bhp engine and not the 190bhp AFAIK

I know it didn't burn off all that oil in 30 miles. That was my argument with Toyota.

And as the owner of a 189bhp corolla, I can say they are heavy on oil. Was warned by Toyota HQ and the garage after first engine seizure.

The c@@nts even thought it would be a laugh to leave a bottle of oil in the boot as a reminder as if it was my fault ( as previously mentioned- they had only just serviced the car) :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I had a 190 Celica for nearly 2 years and I never had an ounce of trouble bar a front left brake caliper seizing a bit due to salt from transport ship from Japan - and it was very easily freed up and good as new.

I had no issues with oil whatsoever.

I heard an awful lot of hysteria about oil with this engine but never experienced any of it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

Have you looked at Focus ST170?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Johntegr wrote: »
    Have you looked at Focus ST170?

Yeah, well i had been ages back, they were few and far between.

They seem like a good option alright, they'd probably blow the T Sport corolla out of the water on the handling front. I wonder what the acceleration is like? I hear a lot of them weren't close to 170 even from the factory too.

• Advertisement

Yeah, well i had been ages back, they were few and far between.

They seem like a good option alright, they'd probably blow the T Sport corolla out of the water on the handling front. I wonder what the acceleration is like? I hear a lot of them weren't close to 170 even from the factory too.
    I only know of one clean low mileage one. Funny enough being sold now for 3k. Owned by a colleagues boyfriend.

They're a nice car to go. Some of them can retain close to their 170 when looked after. Simple Dyno.

That's the one.

Only downside is it's not faster than my DC5. Should have a video somewhere.

From 11 mins.

Don't mind that spin at 5 mins. :pac:

Cheers John! Nice driving too.

I'll keep the focus in mind, i'll have to test drive both I guess!

Anyone have any more input on the corolla?

I'm coming from a feckin 1.4 auto polo, so anything will put a smile on my face at this stage!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How about a MkI Octavia vRS or Seat Leon Cupra?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Have a celica 190 for the past 2 years, lovely car to drive. Never had oil problems, think it was the 140 that had a problems burning oil. Good on mpg in normal driving 30+mpg, this obviously changes at 6200rpm. Insurance is relatively cheap when you compare them to type r civics and tegs. Tax is ok aswell, 1.8l so affordable! Mostly the vvtli is not a boring engine and in my experience very reliable. Think you won't regret it op.

Test drove a few st170s before going for the t-sport and if i was honest, despite engine probs I suffered, I'd go for the t-sport anyday over the st170.

T-sport much rarer, much faster, feels like a firmer chasis, dosent feel as cheap on the inside. If u wanna keep up with the gti's and type r's i wouldn't entertain the st- if keeping it standard anyway.

The fiesta st is/was a much better ride than the old st170 imo. Very rare car in the south too. Great drive.

Polo gti was same bhp as fiesta st but smaller engine (1.6 as opposed to 2.0) Another nice lil pocket rocket.

Clio 182? Octavia/fabia vrs?

Also, as previous poster suggested - seat cupra ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Cheers John! Nice driving too.

I'll keep the focus in mind, i'll have to test drive both I guess!

Anyone have any more input on the corolla?

I'm coming from a feckin 1.4 auto polo, so anything will put a smile on my face at this stage!:pac:

Erm...Alan??? Forget about the fooken corolla and go for that Focus! 48,000 miles, in excellent condition for €3000?

You'd be certifiably insane to pass that up given that it's exactly what you're looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Id go for a cupra. Or a 2.0 turbo astra g

AFAIK these things handle quite nicely and like the T-Sport they're discreet. A celica doesn't really have that IMO but that's just my view.

I've never been in a T-Sport but tbh I'd rather sit in a focus all day rather than a corolla.

Fairly sure it'll be easy on insurance and the duratec engines give a nice hummm.

You'd be right to bring both for a spin and make up your mind. Sure test drive everything!

Edit: Even rarer again see if you can find a Toyota RunX.

• Advertisement

Johntegr wrote: »
    AFAIK these things handle quite nicely and like the T-Sport they're discreet. A celica doesn't really have that IMO but that's just my view.

I've never been in a T-Sport but tbh I'd rather sit in a focus all day rather than a corolla.

Fairly sure it'll be easy on insurance and the duratec engines give a nice hummm.

You'd be right to bring both for a spin and make up your mind. Sure test drive everything!

Edit: Even rarer again see if you can find a Toyota RunX.

Cheers for all the responses lads!

I think I'll have to test drive the 2 of them, the st and corolla that is to see what I think. I really like the sound of the both of them. I like the idea of the power in the corolla, and the vvtli sounds like savage craic. The focus is great to drive, even the normal model is so maybe that'll win out!

So when im viewing these cars, anything in particular I should look out for? Obviously there's a pretty high chance of crash damage on these types of car!

I think I'll have to test drive the 2 of them, the st and corolla that is to see what I think. I really like the sound of the both of them. I like the idea of the power in the corolla, and the vvtli sounds like savage craic. The focus is great to drive, even the normal model is so maybe that'll win out!

So when im viewing these cars, anything in particular I should look out for? Obviously there's a pretty high chance of crash damage on these types of car!
    Well with VVTL-I and Duratec you'll be looking for a similar change in engine power/noise like VTEC. I don't know when a T-Sport lifts but the ST170 is around the 5k mark.

There was a chap on DTD saying his 170 had lost power between 3-5k. He never posted up what the problem is/was so dunno if he even got it looked at so look for flat spots in the rev range I suppose.

Looking at engine specs the 2.0 duratec was never quoted as 170bhp. The only duratec I can find to fit the ST170 is a lesser bhp engine.

Ah never mind. I had the engine right, just tuned differently. Have a look here.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Vvtli kicks in at just after 6krpm, it should pull straight through the rev range to 8krpm. Ideally you'll be looking for a service history in addition to the usuals for the t sport. The oil service intervals are 6k miles and are important given the high red line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 mazdamps

Anyone have any experience with these?

Should be good to go to change my car in the next 2 months, and i've been looking at these for the last while.

The reason I'm drawn to them, is reasonable performance and relatively cheap insurance (7/800). The likes of Civic type R's just aren't viable because they're either insanely expensive or impossible to insure.

The engine is the same 190bhp unit in the celica, so if anyone know's something about that engine i'd like to hear it!

Budget is 3/4000, want something fun(can't deal with an MX5:pac:) and relatively fast. Preferably around 2 litre. Do about 8000kms per year.

If you want something quick, cheap and reliable then it's an no brainer.

They are going for nothing and like you said they have CTR ( hot hatch performance ) for only a few thousand euro.

It's a clever buy imo.

Cheap insurance, cheap road tax ( for the performance ), reliable, not bad on fuel, plenty fast and a bit of a sleeper, no one expects a Corolla to be packing near 200bhp.

I would get that or a 1.8T Polo GTI ( they remap to over 220bhp easy ) if I was looking for all the above.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I think in reality those Toyota 190bhp engines dont really make their power. Ask Knifey_spoonie, he has that engine in an MRS.

If it was me (I was in this boat a few months back) I'd wait until I could afford a CTR. I was buying one, and it was sold from under me. In the end I got thick and bought a Golf GTi the same day cos I just wanted to buy a car.

To be fair to the Golf, I've had it mapped and I'm starting to love it now. Plenty of poke, comfortable on long journeys, and not the worst looking car in the world. Alot can be done to that engine too if power is your thing.

But, I'm a fast Ford man at heart, and if a ST170 popped up in my price range at the time I'd have bought that. Don't buy that blue one though, it's probably the worst colour to have them in.

This one caught my eye:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3148297

Looks okay, don't particularly like the alloys but other than that it looks to be in good nick.

Now, I also realised that this is a dealer selling privately as the car is here for 5000 too:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Corolla/T-SPORT-/5813312910795780/advert?channel=CARS

Would that be a red flag to steer clear?

This one caught my eye:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3148297

Looks okay, don't particularly like the alloys but other than that it looks to be in good nick.

Now, I also realised that this is a dealer selling privately as the car is here for 5000 too:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Corolla/T-SPORT-/5813312910795780/advert?channel=CARS

Would that be a red flag to steer clear?
    Reckon the dealer bought it around it's price off the seller and stuck the mark up on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Priced about right on DD.....

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

I had a 02 one for 3 years, bought it with 96k miles and sold it with 122k. Serviced it every 8k and she never burnt a drop of oil.
    The handling isn't fantastic in them, I fitted a strutbrace and dropped it 30mm on koni's and she was much better. You'll be looking at a prefacelift (pre 04), from then they had the handling sorted.

By far the best part is that everyone thinks its just a corolla, you can have some fun if you work the engine. And they definitely are quicker than stated by Toyota (0-60 7 secs flat without a doubt).
    In the end I fancied a change and found a turbo more suited to daily driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

166man wrote: »
    This is a bit left field, but a fine motor nonetheless, you like the Alfa's too iirc..:D

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/156/2.0/5513318241490620/advert?channel=CARS

i know you like Alfa's, but come on, that's not even worth a grand.

As for the T sports, a friend of mine has one and loves it. He did say about the oil pump issue and said it is a very common problem, i've heard this from a few people also.

Advertisement