Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheels wanted.

• 15-06-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭

Having just missed out on a pair of lightly used Ksyrium Elites for €300, I'm having to start afresh in my search for a new set of wheels (clinchers). Ideally new, but excellent quality second hand would be OK too. Will be used for club spins, sportives, etc only, no racing. Budget, ideally no more than €400 (closer to €300 would be ideal!). I know that at €500+ a a lot more choice opens up for me............but funds are tight!!!

So, I'm considering the following:

Pro-Lite Bracciano - €360 @ CRC
    Shimano RS80 C24 - €380 @ Planet-X plus postage
    Fulcrum 3's - €330@ Bike-Palast plus postage
    Mavic Ksyrium Elites (various places @ c€400 plus postage so really these are above budget)

The bling tart in me wants deep set carbon wheels....so, these are in the mix:
    Chinese carbon jobbies - such as these maybe (though above budget) or similar from
    Hong-fu 38mm carbon - c€370 from China

I've been directed towards Shimano CL 7850s, but these seem to be discontinued and unavailable. In any case, they are well above budget ............ but used, perhaps worth trying to track down?

Any other suggestions I should/can consider?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Ksyrium Equipe for €350 & free postage in Cycle superstore (They are priced at €385 in crc).about 140 grams heavier than elites but are well up to the job for training & sportives.Hubs are cartridge bearings and really smooth. I love the Braccianos my self but the mavic Ksyriums are handier for parts and service in your LBS.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=89&idproduct=53144

Fulcrum 3 are an excellent wheel I'd rate above Ksyrium Elites. Spokes and parts may be hard to get here in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭clog

In exactly the same position a couple of months ago (already had ksyrium on another bike) I ended up getting a pair of vision Trimax pro from planet x in athlone for e300 they are actually lighter than ksyrium elites 1525g v 1555g (both without skewers & Q/R).
    I am very happy with them lovely hubs and have stayed true so far and I usually cycle around secondary roads in wicklow .
    Saying that I was at the time looking at the pro-lites but at the time they were out of stock everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I bought the RS80 wheelset from Planet X, I have a few hundred km's up on them including one rough descent in Wicklow and no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭wav1

Ribble do their suerleggra 50mm deeep section for about 425 sterling.Excellent wheels in either clincher or tubs and shimano or campag.Red and black or black white.Good value for carbon 50mm.Aluminium braking surface

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

wav1 wrote: »
    Ribble do their suerleggra 50mm deeep section for about 425 sterling.Excellent wheels in either clincher or tubs and shimano or campag.Red and black or black white.Good value for carbon 50mm.Aluminium braking surface

Hmm. Nice idea, and lovely looking wheels (though they are £462 on the website). But they are budget busters for me @ over €550.

clog wrote: »
    In exactly the same position a couple of months ago (already had ksyrium on another bike) I ended up getting a pair of vision Trimax pro from planet x in athlone for e300 they are actually lighter than ksyrium elites 1525g v 1555g (both without skewers & Q/R).
    I am very happy with them lovely hubs and have stayed true so far and I usually cycle around secondary roads in wicklow .
    Saying that I was at the time looking at the pro-lites but at the time they were out of stock everywhere.

Sold out at P/X :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

in the same boat myself and i am really leaning towards those pro lites, the combined weight of 1487g is great

Ksyrium Equipe for €350 & free postage in Cycle superstore (They are priced at €385 in crc).about 140 grams heavier than elites but are well up to the job for training & sportives.Hubs are cartridge bearings and really smooth. I love the Braccianos my self but the mavic Ksyriums are handier for parts and service in your LBS.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=89&idproduct=53144

Fulcrum 3 are an excellent wheel I'd rate above Ksyrium Elites. Spokes and parts may be hard to get here in ireland.

Thanks for the pointer. I was looking for a lighter wheel - as little above 1500g as possible, but the Equipe's are worth considering, esp as a corporate discount at CSS reduces them to €306 for me;)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭delynet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Thanks for the pointer. I was looking for a lighter wheel - as little above 1500g as possible, but the Equipe's are worth considering, esp as a corporate discount at CSS reduces them to €306 for me;)

The Equipes are not worth the money. Overweight. Barely a step up on the Askiums.

The Pro-Lites, I have a set here on the missus bike. They are a bit soft. Had them on one of our A1 riders bikes in a few races. Problems with rear hub (replaced under warranty) and a lot more flex than the campags and mavics...

The RS80's are a super wheel. Recommended.

Also consider the Campagnolo Zonda, better than the Fulcrum 3 and at 329 not including shipping on bike24. One of our riders got them, they are supposed to be 1550 but came in at 1515. Shown to be stiffer than even the shamals on the Tour Magazine test. Reckon I might pick up a pair myself for crits and league races.

Check how the Zonda's and Elites and Fulcrum 3's compare here:

http://www.tour-magazin.de/services/qtr/epaper_4_2011/page104.html#/90

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

The RS80s would be my pick out of any of the ones mentioned but then again you could just get some hand built ones made instead, much better! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

anyone have any opinions on planet x carbon wheels? any good?

Right, final thoughts......... as I'm about to spend €400 on a set of wheels.
    I've narrowed my choice to to Shimano RS80s or Campag Zonda.

Any conventional wisdom in terms of
    1. spoke quality / availability of spares
    2. bearing quality / serviceability
    Both are similar price, similar weight, similar reviews, different spoke pattern doesnt bother me one way or t'other, so what am I to base my choice on....?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

My missus is selling a pair of Zondas if you are interested in second hand.

Raam wrote: »
    My missus is selling a pair of Zondas if you are interested in second hand.

Thanks. Birthday pressie.....so needs to be new !

So I got the Zondas. :D:D

Now, I see something referenced about a 1mm spacer in order to run a Shimano 10sp cassette. I have a spare 12-15 which I want to use initially, but no spacer..........perhaps its on my other wheels !

Do I need a spacer? Presumably available in LBS?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Spacers should be readily available in your LBS. Sometimes you get them with the wheels, sometimes you get them with a cassette too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dotzciaran

TheBlaaMan,

Im curious to know where you seen the Mavic Ksyrium Elites for €400

Thanks,

Ciaran

• Advertisement

@dotzciaran
    Not sure now! Its been a while.

With a discount (corporate/loyalty) , I think you can get them from CSS for about €460

but I'd suspect that price was from one of the German online sites.
    Here you go http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/mavic-racing-wheel-set-28700-c--ksyrium-elite/aid:482155

€360 plus postage

Advertisement