Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi Krusty,

Well done on another successful pacing job - it was warm out there for running at that pace.

Belated congratulations too for your race victory - sounds like it was really sweet for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

Didn't get to catch krusty... I think best chance is on a bike.happy with 1,40.
    Quick question krusty, would you normally warm up with a mile or so or was that just as distance short for you?..
    All pointers gladly received!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

aigster wrote: »
    Quick question krusty, would you normally warm up with a mile or so or was that just as distance short for you?..
    Hi aigster, sorry we didn't get a chance to say hello. Would definitely plan on warming up for a mile or two, if:
    1) You plan on hitting race pace almost immediately when the race starts (e.g. 5k, 10k, etc).
    2) It's not a race where the first mile or kilometer will be congested, and force a gradual pace build-up.
    3) Distance is not really an issue. No point doing a mile or two of warm-up for a half-marathon, if the longest run you've done in training is 11 miles (which I know doesn't apply to your situation).
    Essentially, if you're planning on hitting a fast pace almost immediately, and are comfortable with the distance, then you should be warming up. Well done with the 1:40. Was that a PB for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

Cheers krusty , ah a pb by a mile, well a good ten minutes or so...!
    I do enjoy attempting the hillier ones... Or whatever presents as a challenge..tempted by some more ultras but want to improve times over 26 first...
    I have been goin well for dingle , target under 4, but twinged hamstring last week.... Bizarrely or not it feels better after today..!?
    Maybe running too fast ( for me) over lsr..
    Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

aigster wrote: »

That's a Cracking time, especially considering you only passed us after about 9 miles. You must have really put the afterburners on for the last 4? Suggests there is more in there if needed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Krusty,

Thanks for the few words of encouragement on the beach section (I was the sweaty bloke with the shirt off). Was hoping for the 1:30 but had to settle with 1:33, just could not hold the pace on the day. Still there is always Dublin in 2 months, where a faster Drak will turn up…

Tks again…

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Krusty,

Thanks for the few words of encouragement on the beach section (I was the sweaty bloke with the shirt off). Was hoping for the 1:30 but had to settle with 1:33, just could not hold the pace on the day. Still there is always Dublin in 2 months, where a faster Drak will turn up…

Tks again…
    Ahh right! I know I asked you your boards moniker, but didn't make the connection. 1:33 is still much better than your original target of 1:35. On a cooler day I think everyone could have run a couple of minutes quicker, particularly those who suffer in the heat. I found that the temperature rose dramatically on the entry/exit points to the beach, which I reckon pushed a number of runners past their comfort zones. You should be lined-up to take a good chunk off of that time in Dublin. Sorry for all the chatter! :o

Today: 5 Mile slow grass recovery run
    For anyone struggling to run slow enough for a proper recovery run, I have two words of advice for you: Beer and Ikea. Between the dehydration, blood loss and back-ache, 8:30/mile will feel substantially tougher than the previous day's tidy half marathon. Still, nice to grab the last of the summer sun-shine, before winter returns once more in earnest this evening.

Summary: 5 slow miles in 42 mins, @8:24/mile, HR=125

Today: 8 mile exploratory steady loop around the 'dalkin
    Summer, winter, winter, summer, summer, winter, autumn, summer, spring, winter. So went my run today. Sunscreen or wet-suit, if you didn't like it, a change was only 10 seconds away. Nice steady loop around previously unexplored areas of Clondalkin. Always good to get 8 miles done at lunch-time, but I had a small doughnut and apple pie afterwards, so it's really only 6 miles. I'd better stay out of the coffee area, or i'll have a mileage deficit for the day.
    Summary: 8 miles 6 Miles in 58 mins, @7:17/mile, HR=139

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I regularly take in most of that loop. Nice little pull up to green isle and then onto corkagh park.

• Advertisement

I regularly take in most of that loop. Nice little pull up to green isle and then onto corkagh park.
    Clockwise?! I'm still trying to get to grips with the anti-clockwise routes. I won't progress to the advanced stuff until I've mastered the left turns.
    Corkagh is great, but it's still nice to venture further afield. Any other recommended running routes, practical for a lunch-time run (8-10 miles)?

Clockwise?! I'm still trying to get to grips with the anti-clockwise routes. I won't progress to the advanced stuff until I've mastered the left turns.
    Corkagh is great, but it's still nice to venture further afield. Any other recommended running routes, practical for a lunch-time run (8-10 miles)?

oh yes just noticed that, yes clockwise.

You could head down towards Lucan village (all left hand turns :))! Take a left down Grangecastle road (R136) continue down to woodies diy, take a left down in to Lucan Village. Left at Courtneys pub, up a nice steep hill, cross the N4 continue forward past Superquinn, continue up R120 (Newcastle road) past Finnstown house and you will eventually get onto the canal and you could run on that back to work? Should be 8 miles anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

If you head up the outer ring road towards lucan and turn left at the junction with foxborough (where it meets the ballyowen rd) there is a park up there on the rhs about 0.5 miles from the junction. Plenty big and nice for running in. If you keep going up that road and turn left at the second roundabout you will come up to lucan track, turn right for superquin and the N4 (and a loop back around) or left, which after about 3/4 of a mile will bring you to the canal.

Thanks guys. A couple of new routes to explore.
    TBB: That park you mentioned, is that Griffeen Valley Park? I didn't know there was another park there. I wonder is that why they're building new bridges over the canal, to try and connect the canal to the park...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Thanks guys. A couple of new routes to explore.
    TBB: That park you mentioned, is that Griffeen Valley Park? I didn't know there was another park there. I wonder is that why they're building new bridges over the canal, to try and connect the canal to the park...

Thats the one. Its really two parks split by a road with lucan track backing onto one of them. Not sure about the bridges and the park tbh.

enjoy!

Today: 12 mile steady run around Lucan
    Decided to follow Roadrunner's suggested route, but couldn't make it out at lunch time due to piles of work, so decided I'd do the loop in the evening, before heading home. Nice loop, taking in Lucan village, before heading back via Finnstown to the canal. I passed a road name I recognized from google maps, so figured I'd head that way (down Hayden's lane) to see if it connected up to the canal. Caused a cattle stampede (yep, there are still farms in Clondalkin/Lucan), before following some plush new tarmac that led me to the new bridge over the canal. Perfect. a Shortcut into the park, and I'd be back in the office after a nice handy 9 mile run.

Umm... Gate to the Industrial park was closed. An extra mile to run to the next canal bridge and into the industrial park for the short-cut back to the office. A mile into the industrial park, just 200 tantalizing metres from home, the other bloody gate was closed. Retrace my steps, and take the long loop back to the office. 12 miles instead of 9, but it's all good, as marathon training starts in two weeks, so might as well just suck it up. Suprisingly low HR for a run at that pace. Not sure if it's a sign that I should be running faster, or a sign that I'm fatigued (I don't feel too bad).

Summary: 12 miles in 1:28, @7:16/mile, HR=131

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ddel

Could the low HR at that pace be a sign of a bump in fitness???

ddel wrote: »
    Could the low HR at that pace be a sign of a bump in fitness???
    Hi ddel, I don't really think so. It seems to be an anomaly, as that HR would be typical of a recovery run for me. In fact my previous day's run (8 miles) was at an almost identical pace, for a higher average HR. It could be down to something as simple as having a lower HR in cooler weather or running in the evening. Might serve me well in Chicago (given the time difference) as long as the weather is cool (highly unlikely!).

Interesting to look back at Garmin Connect reports, for information like average HR over the course of a year:
    Year: Average HR (average speed):
    2008: 145 (6.2 mph)
    2009: 144 (7.4 mph)
    2010: 143 (7.9 mph)
    2011(ytd): 141 (7.6 mph)
    What does that tell me? I'm a lazy fecker, and getting lazier. :)
    Having only one goal marathon this year (instead of two in 2010) has dropped my overall average speed for the year so far, though it should be higher by the end of the year. Definitely greater running economy, year on year, as I'm getting faster for less overall effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Interesting to look back at Garmin Connect reports, for information like average HR over the course of a year:
    Year: Average HR (average speed):
    2008: 145 (6.2 mph)
    2009: 144 (7.4 mph)
    2010: 143 (7.9 mph)
    2011(ytd): 141 (7.6 mph)
    What does that tell me? I'm a lazy fecker, and getting lazier. :)
    Having only one goal marathon this year (instead of two in 2010) has dropped my overall average speed for the year so far, though it should be higher by the end of the year. Definitely greater running economy, year on year, as I'm getting faster for less overall effort.

Less of you to carry around aswell - what was you weight for each year?

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Less of you to carry around aswell - what was you weight for each year?
    You calling me fat? :)

Actually, despite having greater average mileage in the last six months than any 6 month period in my existence, I reckon my weight is probably up on last year to the tune of around 4 or 5 pounds. Unusual, as I have very little body fat. Could be that I just have a more accurate weighing scales, or a soft memory! I don't really pay attention to actual weight, but focus on relative weight instead, e.g. weight before/after run. Plan will be to drop the weight by giving up the beer in late August/early September (4-6 weeks before the goal race).

Today: Very easy 5 miles on Corkagh Park
    If there were a prize for recovery runs, that trophy would have my name all over it. I may not do fast or long very well, but at recovery runs, I kick ass. Very few bunnies around today. I think they're hiding on me waiting to pounce.
    Summary: 5 miles in 41 mins, @8:17/mile (running buddy is getting quicker!), HR=124

Today: Steady 9 mile Lunch time run - Griffeen Valley Park Loop
    Once again, foiled by closed gates in the industrial estate to the canal, that added extra miles to my planned run, and then foiled again and again by numerous bloody gates, bridges and roads from keeping up a steady pace. Griffeen Valley Park is a perfect place to run (thanks TBB!), with lots of looping paths paved with fresh tarmac. It's just a shame that the park is a 2.5 mile run away, and it's 2.5 miles of gates and bridges. Not the skinny gates that you can shuffle through, but those frustrating U-gates, where you have to half-open it and shuffle around, so the run was more like a slow interval session with lots of 20 second recoveries.

Still not bad of a run at lunch-time, though I was well-off planned marathon pace. This marathon is going to be one hell of a challenge. But you have to aim high.

Summary: 9 miles in 58 mins (not including gate-time), @6:23/mile, HR=152

I see you're still looking for a 10k Race?
    I definitely recommend the Parkwest Course, it is extremely flat and I way exceeded my expectations at it last year. I am not sure about the organisers, Eoin did it superbly last year and I can only hope the new people do it as well. I'll be there anyway since I live there.

Cheers Memo. Didn't realize this was back on again. Organizers should really get their skates on and start advertising, if they're hoping to get sufficient numbers of runners. Is the route the same as last year? €25 seems pretty steep for a 10k. Might stick with the DLR 10k (at the same price) as at least it's closer to home. But then again...

Cheers Memo. Didn't realize this was back on again. Organizers should really get their skates on and start advertising, if they're hoping to get sufficient numbers of runners. Is the route the same as last year? €25 seems pretty steep for a 10k. Might stick with the DLR 10k (at the same price) as at least it's closer to home. But then again...

Yeah it's the same course (pretty much) and the organisers seem to have copied Eoin on the goody bag (free bulmers in the local pub+ other freebies from local businesses). It is well advertised over the area here and it is up in run Ireland.

Here's the webpage: http://www.parkwest10k.com/

Today: 16.5 mile medium Long run
    This one took a lot out of me (around 5 pounds by my weighing scales reckoning), after yesterday's steady run. Should really have taken an easy day and run this one tomorrow. Headed up over Vico Road for a tough start, then down to Dun Laoghaire, and ran most of the DLR 10k route, until after the Killiney Roundabout where I headed for the Quarry in Dalkey. Climbed up a trail and then encountered the dreaded steps that bring you to the top of Killiney Hill. Not the wisest of route choices after 12 miles, but the views from the top were special (though I'm not certain they were worth it!). Back down the hill and headed for home. An easy recovery run tomorrow will give me another 60 mile week, which is perfect set-up for the marathon training program. One week of freedom left.

Summary: 16.5 miles in 2:03, @7:23/mile, HR=~138

Plan will be to drop the weight by giving up the beer in late August/early September (4-6 weeks before the goal race).

Hmmmmm just thinking about this have you ever tried one of those "light beers" I hear they are very good and shave inches off your waist. Light beers and spanx are the way to go for you IMO ;)

Hmmmmm just thinking about this have you ever tried one of those "light beers" I hear they are very good and shave inches off your waist. Light beers and spanx are the way to go for you IMO ;)
    Hmm.. I had to google 'spanx' to find out what it was.. Would you recommend it? :)

• Advertisement

Yesterday: Easy 5 mile grass recovery run, followed by a hike from Greystones to Bray along the cliffs, followed by lots of calorie rich beer at the Bray festival. Burned about a thousand calories, drank about a thousand calories. Life in harmony. :)

Summary: 5 miles in 40 mins, @8:04/mile, HR=~120, and an easy hike.

Advertisement