Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coin Dealers in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 akeady

Blade wrote: »
    The normal is high tide, the scarcer variety is a low tide. I only know of this variety regarding the 1902 penny, it may have happened in other dates too but I don't know off the top of my head as I don't collect British coins.

For 1897, the high tide variety seems to be scarcer:

http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/penny.html

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_value_of_an_1897_British_Penny

Certainly, the 1902 low tide variety is the one I'd heard of before also.

ATB,
    A.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

akeady wrote: »
    Certainly, the 1902 low tide variety is the one I'd heard of before also.

Not my area at all but I do have some of the scarcer UK pennies, some low tide 1902's in vf to xf, 5 or 6 of each of the 1950/51 "Bermuda" and 53's all in lovely UNC. Came across a batch of them cheap a few years back so I swiped them up for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 armadillo1916

Hi - hope this isn't off-topic - let me know if it is ...

I have a 1999-issued commemorative coin/medallion issued in a card 'folder' by ING bank - it's a gold colour-in silver colour large coin. The gold rotates within the silver, and the idea is you set an arrow beside a number on one side (in this case Dutch guilders) and on the other side, you see the conversion value in euros.
    Is it worth more then a tenner? Or less?
    :-)
    Any info would be great -
    Thanks
    Mick

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Hi - hope this isn't off-topic - let me know if it is ...

I have a 1999-issued commemorative coin/medallion issued in a card 'folder' by ING bank - it's a gold colour-in silver colour large coin. The gold rotates within the silver, and the idea is you set an arrow beside a number on one side (in this case Dutch guilders) and on the other side, you see the conversion value in euros.
    Is it worth more then a tenner? Or less?
    :-)
    Any info would be great -
    Thanks
    Mick

Best thing to do is see if you can find one on ebay and get a valuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Exit wrote: »
    The one in the Arcade Market is just the little stall mostly selling books, and then with a box of coins, isn't it?

I passed this one by chance last week. It seemed to be coins and notes only. they had an impressive amount of lady lavery war code notes which is what i was looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 declanm42

just wondering is their any where in cork to get coins valued

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 foxtrot1983

does anybody know how much a 1963 penny with a missing chicken is worth??/?:confused:

does anybody know how much a 1963 penny with a missing chicken is worth??/?:confused:

Ahhh the old missing chick misconception... The Reality is that most "missing chicks" are NOT a variety but simply a case of coins being struck with old worn out dies. This is common as muck and happened every year, you'll notice with these coins that there's still some trace of the missing chick, you'll either still see part of it's underbelly or part of it's legs.

There's also a question mark over a "true" missing chick, you'll know a real one if the beak of the chic behind it is also missing and there's no trace of the chic at all, under a magnifying glass. Without close inspection of your coin, I'm not going to value it as I've seen too many bull$hit ones on ebay.

thanks for your reply, i wa offered the coin but dont know too much about it, it looked at it under a magnifying glass and noticed that it was th arse of the chick that wa missing and not the full thing so what you say is probably true, im glad you replied before i bought it!

im more of a callcard collector myself, but waas trying to dabble a bit in coins, maybe i should study a bit more before entering the market!

thanks again.

thanks for your reply, i wa offered the coin but dont know too much about it, it looked at it under a magnifying glass and noticed that it was th arse of the chick that wa missing and not the full thing so what you say is probably true, im glad you replied before i bought it!

im more of a callcard collector myself, but waas trying to dabble a bit in coins, maybe i should study a bit more before entering the market!

thanks again.

Sorry I meant the entire body of the chic should be missing, along with the beak of the chic behind it. But it's head is still there on the other side of the Hen's leg. There should be no trace of the underbelly under a glass and also there's a difference in the arrow. Have a look here: http://www.irishcoinage.com/D00001.HTM

• Advertisement

just checked out your link and that is the coin i was looking at alright. is that valuable?

just checked out your link and that is the coin i was looking at alright. is that valuable?

You mentioned it was 1963, a "true" chickless as I've described tended to mainly happen in 68 and 42, so I'd probably pay 20 Euro for a true chickless 1963....

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

declanm42 wrote: »
    just wondering is their any where in cork to get coins valued

im living in cork, i could take a look at what you have sometime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 arimwah

hi,ive a bag full of old irish coins that i would love to get valued/sell...is there any collectors around the roscommon/leitrim area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 martykk

barrarua wrote: »
    Hi Lads
    My mother is interested in getting a large number of old irish coins valued; my father collected them over his life time but never knew their true value.
    Could you recommend a honest dealer to make a valuation, and maybe advise what she should do; bring a few coins, a whole box?; catalogue them, but there's a large number of coins and it would take ages?
    I live in Australia and I am trying to get some information for her and I would appreciate your advice.

If they are 20th century coins they may not be as valuable as you think. Any silver coins between 1928 and 42 would have 50% silver content and would be valued on their silver content. Can you collate and list them? If you put them up on a list or PM me I could guide you. If they are a random lot of 20th century coins I would suggest selling them in lots of about 30 on e-bay.com as the US is the best market for random Irish. Remember key personal dates; eg 1961 = 50th birthday token in 2011 so some might have sentimental value. Also "Lucky Irish" penny with key dates is popular as is love token pair of sixpences exchanged by bride & groom on their wedding day.

Hope this helps

Marty

Gold is selling at just below spot price on e-bay but be careful. i recently sold on e-bay buit coins were "lost in transit" in the us and track and trace is a nightmare with An Post. US customs are checking everything metallic entering the country.

Nobody will give over spot unless they are exceptional quality or dates.

Try David at www.coinsonline.co.uk and tell him martin from Kilkenny sent you.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 akeady

martykk wrote: »
    If they are 20th century coins they may not be as valuable as you think. Any silver coins between 1928 and 42 would have 50% silver content and would be valued on their silver content. Can you collate and list them? If you put them up on a list or PM me I could guide you. If they are a random lot of 20th century coins I would suggest selling them in lots of about 30 on e-bay.com as the US is the best market for random Irish. Remember key personal dates; eg 1961 = 50th birthday token in 2011 so some might have sentimental value. Also "Lucky Irish" penny with key dates is popular as is love token pair of sixpences exchanged by bride & groom on their wedding day.

Hope this helps

Marty

Just a nitpick that the silver Irish 1928-1943 coins (halfcrown, florin, shilling) were 75% silver, not 50%.

ATB,
    A.

sorry my mistake

martykk wrote: »
    Also "Lucky Irish" penny with key dates is popular as is love token pair of sixpences exchanged by bride & groom on their wedding day.

Ah Martin, you and your lucky pennies, those pennies aren't as lucky as you think. My mate got one in his change in the pub last night and showed it to me, I told him to hang on to it in his pocket as a lucky penny, then on the way home he slipped on the ice and landed on his arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 helenaoneill

Hi.

I have what I think are 1889 (crowned head) and 1893 (veiled head) Queen Victoria £5 coins, plus an 1892 (shield) half sovereign (Queen Victoria), and a George V half sovereign that I'm pretty sure is 1913 but could be 1918.Would anyone know an estimated value of these? Or could someone let me know where the guy in Blackrock (Co Dublin?) mentioned before is situated?

Thanks a mil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I'm no expert. I collect coins for their metal value only. But the numismatic value of your coins will depend on their condition.
    I can get the 1892 half sovereign for c. €170 right now in very good condition. It's gold content is c. 1/8th of an ounce, or c. €130 at current spot prices.
    I can get a George V 1912 half sovereign for €160. It sounds like yours may not be in great condition if the year cannot be read, though. You might be looking at just a little over spot for that one.
    I don't know about your £5 coins.
    Incidentally, the above are buying prices, if I were to buy them. If selling, you can expect to receive significantly less as the dealer will seek to gain a profit margin.
    In your position, I wouldn't look to accept less than 5% under the current gold spot price for the George V sovereign (check the current price on Kitco.com before selling) and I would look for more for the Victorian coin if it's in better condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Hi.

I have what I think are 1889 (crowned head) and 1893 (veiled head) Queen Victoria £5 coins, plus an 1892 (shield) half sovereign (Queen Victoria), and a George V half sovereign that I'm pretty sure is 1913 but could be 1918.Would anyone know an estimated value of these? Or could someone let me know where the guy in Blackrock (Co Dublin?) mentioned before is situated?

Thanks a mil

There is a coin dealer in the Blackrock Market details here: http://www.blackrockmarket.com/

and a direct link to his site here: http://www.blackrockmarket.com/thecollectorsshop.html

If you're selling coins check eBay to get an idea of price and depending on that decide your next move. Personally I find antiques dealers/coin dealers etc pay very little as they have to make a profit too. If the coins are valuable then an auction room may be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭waldo

Any ideas where to buy coin albums in Dublin or Cork, or online? Thanks.

waldo wrote: »
    Any ideas where to buy coin albums in Dublin or Cork, or online? Thanks.

I recommend the Optima range, Tony Schorman from the Grafton arcade, Dublin, has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Szarik102

Hi all. Anyone know where I might get a Limerick Soviet 1 Shilling note? Yes, I know, rare and obscure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jedf

<SNIP>

Hi jedf,I'm afraid no buying or selling is allowed on the forum,all sales and want lists to be posted on www.adverts.ie where the link can then be copied and pasted here on this thread.Moderator

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GerSweeney

Hi Folks

Have some Irish and English coins looking to get valued somewhere in Dublin
    prob not worth much but better than them sitting in my attic.here is a couple of the Irish & English ones

1928 Irish Penny x 1
    1950 Irish Penny x 1
    1956 Three Pence x 1
    1956 Six Pence x 1
    1942 Half Penny x 1

1899 English Penny x 1
    1912 English Penny x 2
    1916 English Penny x 2
    1917 English Penny x 1
    1946 English Penny x 1
    1948 One Shilling x 1
    1943 Three Pence x 1

Also have Coins from Russia & Germany dated from the 1940's

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Ger

GerSweeney wrote: »
    here is a couple of the Irish & English ones

1928 Irish Penny x 1
    1950 Irish Penny x 1
    1956 Three Pence x 1
    1956 Six Pence x 1
    1942 Half Penny x 1

1899 English Penny x 1
    1912 English Penny x 2
    1916 English Penny x 2
    1917 English Penny x 1
    1946 English Penny x 1
    1948 One Shilling x 1
    1943 Three Pence x 1

If there's any wear at all on these, then there's nothing there of value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GerSweeney

Cheers for the reply Blade, couple of them are in good shape and not much wear on them just a bit dirty, was cleaning in the house and found a bag of coins which i used to collect as a kid, have coins from all over Europe before the euro kicked in also Asia, Australia, States etc...I'll prob bring them somewhere as some mans junk is another mans treasure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ucanhaveitall77

Is there a coin fair in the RDS this year??

Advertisement