Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos thread (Target Shooting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sweet score. Not so sweet cleaning job :D

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭FLOYDSTER

Was at the Testing weekend too and selected a batch of Tenex for my new barrel and action!

Fortunately it shot rather well in my old barrel and action as you can see below!:D

2013-09-13113617_zps46ec91c2.jpg

2013-09-13114026_zps6519c7b4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Nice to see it behaves itself in both rifles! That the batch with the small ten shot groups and the oddly large forty shot?

Nice to see it behaves itself in both rifles! That the batch with the small ten shot groups and the oddly large forty shot?

Yip Dave, action wasnt tightened in the vice so was stringing vertically!;)

FLOYDSTER wrote: »
    Yip Dave, action wasnt tightened in the vice so was stringing vertically!;)

Thought that must be it. No way it'd shoot ten shot groups like that and yet be shíte overall! The couple of strings over 106.0 are nice too. Definitely doing something right there.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

The final in yesterday's 2013 50m prone nationals:

National_Prone_2013_053.jpg

Photo courtesy of Anthony Fagan via the NTSA website (more photos there).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Hope ya put all my tables back. Spent a lot of time there the last two weeks tidying up the entire range(s). :D

Well done to all, and well done Conor. Hard to wipe that smile of your face i'd say. Very close finish. Only 0.1.

It's great to see such a variety of people competing in terms of age & gender. A thing missing in some disciplines of sports shooting.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Hope ya put all my tables back. Spent a lot of time there the last two weeks tidying up the entire range(s). :D

Well done to all, and well done Conor. Hard to wipe that smile of your face i'd say. Very close finish. Only 0.1.

It's great to see such a variety of people competing in terms of age & gender. A thing missing in some disciplines of sports shooting.

It's better even than that Cass. The young ones are better than we ever could have been at that stage. They have more resources and more ambition, and more cause to be ambitious. They're already getting good results and they're taking up more disciplines. In that photo, there are people who shoot air rifle, prone and three-positions, and are training aggressively. I have no doubt they'll make a serious addition to the pool of talent in the country and maybe down the line they'll decide to change for a different branch of shooting and other disciplines might benefit from all the work we've put in in the college clubs. I hope they do.

Sounds extremely promising.

Perhaps it's just me but the "newer" generation for shooters seem to have a higher natural ability and better understanding of things we had to spend years finding out the hard way. It can only be good thing, and should that talent spill over into other disciplines then they will only be the better because of it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

I think in the case of DURC it's got a lot to do with all the infrastructural work done over the last number of years to improve the training our novices are getting. Certainly their results are reflecting it. It's a pain in the balls whatever it is. :p

• Advertisement

Everything got put back in its place, don't worry! :D

Yeah, I shot like a complete eejit in the final yesterday so had to scrape myself back up the ladder with every shot. That's the fifth national championships win for me, three indoor at 25yds and two outdoor at 50m. New competition PB yesterday too 620.1 (593/34X in old scoring).

Yeah, there's more than 45 years between the oldest and youngest shooter in that final. While only 2 out of the 8 finalists were women, 2 out of the 3 women competing made the final and the third missed out on making the final by only 0.9 points. In terms of the experience five of the eight shooters have shot for Ireland at European Championship, World Cup, World Championship and Paralympic competitions.

The mix of ages in particular makes things interesting since the younger shooters keep pushing the older ones and the older shooters have plenty to teach the younger shooters. I'm stuck in the middle! :D

I think in the case of DURC it's got a lot to do with all the infrastructural work done over the last number of years to improve the training our novices are getting. Certainly their results are reflecting it. It's a pain in the balls whatever it is. :p

I just keep telling myself that their high scores are proof that we did the right things over the last fourteen or so years building up the club from, well, a pretty deep nadir -- we came within pennies of being wound up by DUCAC in '97 if I remember right (For the non-DURC-committee readers, if any TCD Sports Club has a negative balance in the bank account, no matter how small or temporary, on the day they audit the accounts before the start of the year, then that club is wound up. Or at least, that was the rule at the time, hopefully it's gotten less stringent since). To come from that (and being a pretty undervalued and ignored club in the college to boot) to where the club is now (well-respected in college, just over 500 members (aren't we at this stage?) making it the largest sports club in TCD, and with people on the DUCAC committee, not to mention the very high competitive standard of shooting) is something to be quite happy about, and took a lot of work from a lot of people in the club and a lot of help from a lot of people outside the club; and those high scores we're seeing now are the payoff for all of that.

That's what I keep telling myself while grumbling about babysitting while MiCrO's 10m scores go flying past my PB anyway :D

276741.jpg

Back :)

I think this is a first. The sun came in the windows of the sports hall being used for the 10m airgun events in the Isle of Man shooting festival. One of the range officers spotted that it was putting glare on one of DURC's shooter's sights and so he stood on a chair to put her in the shade. :)

10174901_10152790337102222_4315014608199276454_n.jpg

Good man!

Yet again, foiled by a 9.9 lol

2014-04-11143540_zpscf04b072.jpg

2014-04-11143608_zps98f2820e.jpg

It wasn't me! shooting standing in the 3 position final in the Isle of Man Easter shoot:

304343.jpg

and to give an idea of the size of the shoot, here's just one of the details for the 50m prone event:

304344.jpg

More photos are on the Dublin University Rifle Club Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.624085321008571.1073741831.573329859417451&type=3

Sean Baldwin and Aisling Miller. The National Champions for Men's and Women's Air Rifle.

14046751714_03af588e2c_z.jpg

More photos are available on the NTSA website and on the DURC Facebook page.

Different cultural attitude towards shooting right here:

10593311_250928385105590_300935449_n.jpg

Norwegian national TV showing shooting some of the Norwegian national championships (Landsskytterstevnet).

That is brilliant.

• Advertisement

I got myself a new SCATT electronic trainer. The new version that I got can be used for live fire training as well as dry fire. The old IR sensor rig was replaced with a camera that looks for a black circle as an aiming mark so pretty much any black mark big enough to be spotted by the camera can be used. The range of distances it can be used at is much bigger than it used to be too. Here's a review of someone who used it for US High Power stuff out as far as 600yds: http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/review-scatt-mx-02-for-high-power/

Here's the trace that it recorded for one of my shots yesterday in Midlands (ISSF 50m rifle target):

https://instagram.com/p/56zFelmBt6/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Coooooooool, that is a savage bit of kit. I love tech toys. Dare I ask how much......

Vegeta wrote: »
    Coooooooool, that is a savage bit of kit. I love tech toys. Dare I ask how much......

It costs roughly the same as about 5,000 rounds of Eley Tenex. :o

You can also overlay the traces for all of your shots to have a look at your approach and recoil patterns (click for larger version):

PV3huSC.png

IRLConor wrote: »
    It costs roughly the same as about 5,000 rounds of Eley Tenex. :o
    But it's worth a lot more 'cos you'll get 500,000 shots or more out of it :D

Sparks wrote: »
    But it's worth a lot more 'cos you'll get 500,000 shots or more out of it :D

In theory, yes. In practice, you can live fire with this so it's no longer an either-or situation like with the older model SCATTs.

IRLConor wrote: »
    In theory, yes. In practice, you can live fire with this so it's no longer an either-or situation like with the older model SCATTs.

Or the RIKAs or Noptels for that matter. Actually, have you tried it out at 10m at all?

Sparks wrote: »
    Or the RIKAs or Noptels for that matter. Actually, have you tried it out at 10m at all?

Not yet, but I will when the license for mine arrives.

I've live fired 10m on the old SCATT. It's pretty useful. This one though just seems far more versatile.

• Advertisement

I've had my air rifle for a few months now, but this is the first time I've had both of my rifles in the same place at the same time. In case ye haven't noticed, I like shiny rifles. :D

zkkYWVh.jpg

(click to zoom)

Advertisement