Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Iceland or Norway

• 11-07-2014 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

I live in Dubai with my wife who has never experienced a non-tropical climate.

We're thinking of going to Ireland in January or February for two weeks to visit my family and I'm wondering how feasible it would be to combine it with a trip to either Norway or Iceland, the purpose being to see snow (lots of snow), wilderness, plus aurorae.

As anyone been to either Norway or Iceland in winter and, if yes, could you share some of your experiences and recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Norway extends much further north than Iceland and therefore the chances of seeing the northern lights are increased (but never guaranteed).

You can fly Dublin-Oslo-Tromso and stay in relative comfort. http://www.visittromso.no/en/northernlights/

All depends on your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Easyjet have just announced a new route Belfast - Reykjavik might make the journey a bit easier, certainly cheaper than before.

Not been to either so can't help on that score.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Something tells me that as far as wilderness is concerned, you're better off in Norway. Iceland is nice and all but it is big pile of lava after all so if you're looking for forests etc, you might be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

If its the Northern lights you are after go for Norway.
    Iceland is much further south and gets much more cloud cover too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭murray.eoghan

Norway is the prettiest country i have visited, huge mountains and beautiful waters.not sure about the snow the last days. My aunt living in Bergen says the weather was crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

Actually, as a third option, how about Finland, specifically Lapland?

Advertisement