Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quick ENS 186 question

• 27-07-2014 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I got PR on Friday under the ENS 186 stream. Am I still legally tied to this employer or can I leave tomorrow?.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Feelgood wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I got PR on Friday under the ENS 186 stream. Am I still legally tied to this employer or can I leave tomorrow?.

Cheers.

Congrats you're in, Technically you are not tied to your employer like that 457 rubbish. You could leave tomorrow but if your employer whinged it might not look good. If you paid for it yourself and employer is happy enough for you to move on then youre laughing, there's no law to revoke your 186 visa except in cases of fraud.

Maybe start looking for a new job tomorrow, the employment wheels turn very slow and by the time you get through the interviews and hand in your notice it could be 3 or 4 months and shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Don't forget to sign up for Medicare.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 NiallSORo

Hey guys,

Cheers.

No legal obligation to stay, at all. Providing no incorrect or fraudulent paperwork was submitted in the application, you are all good.

It won't look good for your employer though, if they needed to sponsor again for the same role in a short period of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

NiallSORo wrote: »
    ...It won't look good for your employer though...

And also bailing (immediately) on an employer who has sponsored you and gone to the bother of ENS won't do any favours to the Irish reputation in Australia which is already heavily scarred by blowins.

Remember, that within the ENS application the employer makes a commitment to keeping you in your current job for at least another year. (this is not legally binding but they are asked to state that they will make a reasonable commitment).

Another thing to consider is that bad work practices and how you leave companies tends to follow you. You may build yourself a reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timistry

Its a bit of a moral dilemma is'nt it?

I hope to be granted my PR soon after being with the company for 3 and a half years. Started with them on a working holiday visa, then got 457 visa sponsorship. I was on very very low pay, as is often the case...

Im thinking of heading home next march to try and get some experience within the EU. The visa will be valid for 5 years and there will always be a job to come back to with the company if I approach leaving in the correct way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I am working as a contractor, my employer takes $7 per hour for himself out of my hourly rate and has done for the last 3 years. This is on top of agency fees. He hasn't paid a cent towards my 457, flights home, nothing.

I was actually eligible for PR in May 2013. He "forgot" to put through the paperwork for ENS until March 2014. I paid for everything myself, even the nomination fee.

I know it looks bad to leave immediately, but he is seriously taking the piss.
    By leaving I am up around 15k a year, I just wanted to make sure that there was legally nothing from stopping me.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timistry

I am working as a contractor, my employer takes $7 per hour for himself out of my hourly rate and has done for the last 3 years. This is on top of agency fees. He hasn't paid a cent towards my 457, flights home, nothing.

I was actually eligible for PR in May 2013. He "forgot" to put through the paperwork for ENS until March 2014. I paid for everything myself, even the nomination fee.

I know it looks bad to leave immediately, but he is seriously taking the piss.
    By leaving I am up around 15k a year, I just wanted to make sure that there was legally nothing from stopping me.

Thats shocking :(

How does he take $7 per hour from your wages??
    AFAIK the employer has to pay for the fees associated with a 457 and if you made redundant and you ask in writing, he has to pay the cost of the most reasonable flight back to your country of origin.

Once you get the confirmation email, tell him to take a long walk off a short peir and head for the door. He cant do anything and im sure that any future perspective employer would fully support this decision

Advertisement