Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

etap 23 or etap 23i?

• 20-07-2014 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

Hi - I'm thinking about buying at 23ft etap - but I'm finding it hard to get good info on etap online and specifically anything which outlines the differences between the 23 and the 23i - the etap 23 seems a little cheaper in general than the 23i but the boats appear to be very similar - does anyone here know more about them and the differences between them. I also see occasional references to a 23il but that model seems much rarer.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 gaffer falls

Sailed in one extensively.Very good boat,stable,sails very well,positive buoyancy, vice free will handle coastal passages in weather you wouldn't want to be out in.The difference between the models is minor, only changes to coach roof shape.Outboard in a well so no big diesel bills, can be launched and recovered and parked in your driveway over winter so no big boatyard bills.Make sure keel lowering mechanism is ok as it can give trouble.There is a long keel version last model produced.Expect to pay 6-8k for older boats in today's market.Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

thanks for the reply gaffer - that's great - they seem to get positive reviews generally. In fact the more i find out about them the more I like them. I wonder if I could ask you one more thing - seeing as you seem to have a bit of experience with this boat. How much roughly do you think I should budget for general maintenance per year?

As per your observation, the boat would be trailered and stored at home. I also have the use of an owned mooring near where I live. So apart from that, I guess you're talking about keeping the hull in good condition, keeping the keel mechanism in good order, electrical repairs, servicing the outboard....and general repair and replacement of on-deck stuff when needed (+ insurance of course).

I know it's probably an impossible question to answer but as I haven't owned a boat before - only sailed other people's - I'm conscious of the prospect of finding out that the buying price is only the start of the expenditure. What do you think. In my head I'm thinking 2 to 3k a year will be the cost of ownership's it were....thanks again for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 gaffer falls

Engine service ,petrol,oil, antifoul , insurance, mooring maintenance/rental, towing , life jackets,around 700e per annum
    I would personally get a boatyard to launch and recover if you can find a reasonable deal, less hassle and will save the trailer
    You should also get vhf radio and licence and nowadays maybe an epirb , chart plotter and solar panel to keep battery topped
    After initial expenditure, there is little really to maintain and anything that breaks will be relatively cheap to replace
    As regards 'bang for your buck' I don't think this boat can be beaten

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CorkRebell

I have an Etap 22i if you have any questions. :-)

Advertisement