Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Things Other Cultures Do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

People in some countries wipe their arse using their left hand and thus it is taboo to use your left hand to eat food (considered unhygenic) or to offer your left hand to someone by way of greeting (considered an insult almost.) The left hand being taboo was also part of western culture up until very recently. Even the word "sinister" meaning untrustworthy or bad comes from the Latin "sinestre" meaning of the left. You'll find plenty of middle-aged Irish people who were punished in school for writing with their left hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Flaker

Because people in India use their left hand to clean their bums, then wash it after. They don't use toilet paper.

So it's etiqutte to eat with your right hand only and not the one you've used to wipe their arse.

Get it now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

FTA69 wrote: »
    People in some countries wipe their arse using their left hand and thus it is taboo to use your left hand to eat food (considered unhygenic) or to offer your left hand to someone by way of greeting (considered an insult almost.) The left hand being taboo was also part of western culture up until very recently. Even the word "sinister" meaning untrustworthy or bad comes from the Latin "sinestre" meaning of the left. You'll find plenty of middle-aged Irish people who were punished in school for writing with their left hand.

Ah I see, thank you!

Flaker wrote: »
    Because people in India use their left hand to clean their bums, then wash it after. They don't use toilet paper.

So it's etiqutte to eat with your right hand only and not the one you've used to wipe their arse.

Get it now?

Well never knew they wipe their bums with their left hands, yes, I do get it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Not really stupid, just culturally different. If you blew your nose on a train in the Far East people would be disgusted, spitting on the street in some countries is deemed grand and in some places eating with the hand you wiped your hole with is viewed as repulsive.

Some people would come to Ireland and be turned off by people skulling drink and slurring their words but to us it's perfectly normal.

One thing I found mad was the jacks in eastern countries. It felt like I was sh*tting in someone's shower cubicle. No jacks roll then only a pipe of water and a handful of toweling. Madness.

They have signs on 'western' toilets telling you not to use them in the same fashion as a 'squat' toilet.http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1201/555624308_04bb985e12.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

l understand all you've posted but l'm kinda confused, do they have a problem with people eathing/using their left hand??

Read the bloody OP!! The left hand is used for wiping after defecating, therefore it's considered gross to eat with it. So they moved, so they wouldn't have to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

You should have started picking your snout as well with your thumb. Mouth wide open, gazing eerily at them.

Haven't seen you round these Parts in a while.

I actually didn't care just happy I could eat alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The bizarre practice of having an immense feeling of shame for giving birth to a baby girl

Read the bloody OP!! The left hand is used for wiping after defecating, therefore it's considered gross to eat with it. So they moved, so they wouldn't have to look at it.

read the previous replies....l get it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Strict Rastafarians believe that when a woman is menstruating she's unclean. I knew one fella who wouldn't sleep in the same bed as his girlfriend when she was on the blob and he wouldn't allow her to touch or prepare anything he was going to eat. He wouldn't drink a cup of tea if she made it. Similarly they're strict vegetarians and many won't have a frying pan in the house.
    Christians are supposed to do the same. It's in the bible; you're also supposed to take any mildewed clothing to your priest for him to inspect. You couldn't make this stuff up.

In Japan you're not expected to give up your seat on the bus to the elderly because they don't see it as politeness, they see it as being given a debt they can never repay, which is shameful to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

AFIK in Malay they had no words for left hand or right hand, just **** hand and food hand, it makes sense in an era before toilet rolls. A missonary priest I knew found it shocking that army personnel kept saluting each other but saw nothing odd about kissing the bishops ring. When I was in Afghanistan I was expected to wash my hands and teeth before sitting down to eat. All cultures have their own ways of doing things, sometimes for reasons long forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

In Germany popcorn is sugared unless you specifically ask for salt. Found this out for the first time a few months back. Was horrified, just couldn't eat the popcorn anymore, it was too disgusting.

Also there's a tradition over here that states that the person whose birthday it is has to provide the alcohol/pay for drinks. Made me thankful I don't celebrate my birthday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

They don't "wipe" with their left hand, they wash their arse out with water after crapping with their left hand. That's why it's considered gross!

Also, they often consider toilet paper unhygienic - the attitude being how are you supposed to get properly clean without using water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I couldn't believe what the OP was saying about the whole left hand wipe thing... apparently it is indeed true!

Eating and the right hand rule

Eating can be a quite sensitive point. It is often done with the fingers, and requires a bit of practice to get it right. Rule one is eat with your right hand only. In India, as all across Asia, the left hand is for wiping your bottom, cleaning your feet and other unsavory functions (you also put on and take off your shoes with the left hand), while the right hand is for eating, shaking hands and so on. (makes sense for Hygiene!)

Quite how rigid individuals are about this rule tends to vary, with Brahmins and Southerners being the strictest. While you can hold a cup or utensil with your left hand, and can usually get away with using it to help you tear your chapatti, you should not eat, pass food or wipe your mouth with your left hand.

In general do not pass anything to anyone with your left hand, or point at anyone either. In general you should accept things with your right hand. Which is also a social norm in Ananda Marga. To give and receive with right hand while touching the elbow of the right arm with the left hand.

The other rule to be aware of when eating or drinking is that your lips should not touch other people's food. Don't for example take a bite out of a chapatti and pass it on. When drinking out of a cup or bottle to be shared with others, don't let it touch your lips, but rather pour it directly into your mouth. This custom also protects you from things like Hepatitis. Although in the west it is not considered sociable not to share, during the tour, we'll follow this rule. Keep your own water bottle, and learn the pouring method, which takes some practice, especially in a moving train. It is customary to wash your hands and feet before and after eating. Half bath in Ananda Marga...

I knew about the burping after a meal in Saudi Arabia and China alright, but it's not something that ever caught on here... though many have tried :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Czechs always tap their glass on the table before drinking after a toast. It's to make sure there are no Jews hiding under the table.

Spaniards do the same thing and sometimes add: "Quien que no se apoya, no se folla." It means: the one that doesn't support (the glass), doesn't shag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭positron

Strict Rastafarians believe that when a woman is menstruating she's unclean. I knew one fella who wouldn't sleep in the same bed as his girlfriend when she was on the blob and he wouldn't allow her to touch or prepare anything he was going to eat. He wouldn't drink a cup of tea if she made it. Similarly they're strict vegetarians and many won't have a frying pan in the house.
    kylith wrote: »
    Christians are supposed to do the same. It's in the bible; you're also supposed to take any mildewed clothing to your priest for him to inspect. You couldn't make this stuff up.

Same system exists with Hindus in India. Many decades ago, old traditional houses would have separate out houses (in the same compound, right next to the main house) for menstruating women. They were not allowed to enter the main kitchen / or cook for rest of the family, they were also not allowed into temples etc. They were considered unclean during that period. Also old methods were that they should rest during this period, treat themselves (as in by applying various oils etc to their skin etc) and bathing/washing was considered a bad thing during this time. I am not sure if this 'not bathing' is what the real reason for not allowing them into the main house / temples etc as in traditional houses (like the one my grand mother was running for many decades until 1995 or so) everyone (man/woman/child) coming from outside (school, work etc) were supposed to wash / bath before they enter the house. In case you are wondering how would one wash before entering the house - the compound had a huge pond with bathing steps, and bathrooms and loos outside the house. This being tropical India, bathing outside is nothing short of absolute bliss, even a cheap bar of soap smells amazing out in the fresh air.
    Many Africans when having dinner will all eat off the same plate either using their hands or a long spoon.

It's the same in middle east too I think, and it's probably not a bad thing from a sharing / bonding perspective.
    Traveller couples will often do a brief "run away" before they're married to prove they're marrying for love. It's only a symbolic thing but it's often done nonetheless to much fanfare from friends and family.

In certain parts of India, upper class Hindu family wedding happens over 3 days. On day 1, the boy officially asks girl's father for her hand, and he promptly rejects and the boy continues to plead (no actual pleading is involved, it's all just rituals). On day 2, the boy gives up and declares his life is meaningless without her and renounces everything he including his family and walks away to become a 'sadhu', a life long celibate seeking nothing but spiritual purity. The girls father, now content that the boys love for his daughter is real, stops him and agrees to the proposal. Day 3 is rest of the rituals etc.
    Muslims aren't supposed to keep dogs as pets.

Yep, not only that they consider dogs "unclean" and feels they need to cleanse themselves before entering the mosque if they accidentally come in contact with a dog, like a dog brushes by them etc.
    Not really stupid, just culturally different. If you blew your nose on a train in the Far East people would be disgusted, spitting on the street in some countries is deemed grand and in some places eating with the hand you wiped your hole with is viewed as repulsive.

Exactly. I still can't believe people making all those gross noises blowing their nose is socially accepted here in Ireland. I cringe every single time I hear it on the train, at work etc. Absolutely revolting.
    In Japan you're not expected to give up your seat on the bus to the elderly because they don't see it as politeness, they see it as being given a debt they can never repay, which is shameful to them.

Interesting. You are supposed to give up your seat for elderly in India out of politeness towards the greater wisdom and spirit of the the elder person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Many Africans when having dinner will all eat off the same plate either using their hands or a long spoon.

In all honesty, in a lot of those countries they keep their hands almost religiously clean before dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    In all honesty, in a lot of those countries they keep their hands almost religiously clean before dinner.

True, I worked with a lot of people from Ghana and they always had a pair of latex gloves on under their work gloves and never did any sort of work bare-handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

positron wrote: »

In certain parts of India, upper class Hindu family wedding happens over 3 days. On day 1, the boy officially asks girl's father for her hand, and he promptly rejects and the boy continues to plead (no actual pleading is involved, it's all just rituals). On day 2, the boy gives up and declares his life is meaningless without her and renounces everything he including his family and walks away to become a 'sadhu', a life long celibate seeking nothing but spiritual purity. The girls father, now content that the boys love for his daughter is real, stops him and agrees to the proposal. Day 3 is rest of the rituals etc.

Plenty 3 day weddings in Ireland too, just not as organised or traditional as above

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The poor knowledge the British tend to have on Irish geography, politicians and other things, despite us being their near neighbours, is quite hilarious.
    No it's not! Why the hell would an english person give a shít about who our minister for health is, or what county Drogheda is in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

positron wrote: »
    Interesting. You are supposed to give up your seat for elderly in India out of politeness towards the greater wisdom and spirit of the the elder person.

That's what I thought too, especially with the Asian respect for the elderly, so I was surprised when I was on a bus and no-one offered a little old woman a seat. When I stood up and waved her into my place she acted like I'd given her a cheque for a zillion Yen. It wasn't until later that it was explained to me that I'd actually put her in an awkward position, but that it was probably ok because I was an ignorant gaijin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Cienciano wrote: »
    No it's not! Why the hell would an english person give a shít about who our minister for health is, or what county Drogheda is in?

They should at least have an idea that Ireland is not split Northern Ireland, Southern Ireland

• In Albania and Bulgaria people nod their heads up and down when they say "no", and shake their heads side to side when they mean "yes". Confuse a nation, so it would.

In Russia it's considered extremely bad manners not to take your shoes off immediately in the hallway upon entering someones home. You'd only leave them on if you're just talking in the hall and not actually going any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭positron

I find it fairly strange that in some people here use a plastic sink inside the regular kitchen sink.. not sure if this is to conserve water or not, but in any case I haven't seen this in a few years now.

Another sink-related one is with some people leaves used tea-bags in the sink / drainer for a while. Never understood the logic other than perhaps laziness, but when you see this done at homes, makes me wonder!

And coffee. I mean this bitter coffee. And it makes drinkers breath, sweat and urine stink. Surely there has to be a better drink for the caffeine dose? (no offense to coffee lovers, just stating it from a sweeter-coffee-drinking-culture-point-of-view).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Czechs always tap their glass on the table before drinking after a toast. It's to make sure there are no Jews hiding under the table.

I lived and worked in the Czech Republic for 4 months and never saw this :confused:

porkies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

kingtut wrote: »
    I lived and worked in the Czech Republic for 4 months and never saw this :confused:

porkies ?
    Defo the done thing. I had noticed it and was told to do it, too, so I asked my friends why they do it and they told me that story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ronjo

kingtut wrote: »

porkies ?

Its true, same in Slovakia (not always done mind you)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Defo the done thing. I had noticed it and was told to do it, too, so I asked my friends why they do it and they told me that story.

Hmm I worked with many Czechs and they never ever did it, maybe they thought it would freak me out :D

Returned twice since then and still yet to see it but gotta love the crazy Czechs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

In Japan you never get a seat on the bus so you don't have to worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

Four pages in no 'USA have a tradition of waging war'.....interesting.

Advertisement