Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whats my car worth and possible replacement?

• 15-07-2011 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Hi So as title says whats my car worth. Its a 03 Focus saloon Ghia x tdci with 108k miles. Timing belt was done at 90k has nct til March 2013. Its in excellent condition and needs nothing doing.
    Also is there anything that I could replace it with for same money as focus is worth that would be better as I have it 4 years wouldnt mind a change? I do about 15k a year miles up and down cork to waterford every week.
    Thanks
    Gavman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Gavman84 wrote: »
    Hi So as title says whats my car worth. Its a 03 Focus saloon Ghia x tdci with 108k miles. Timing belt was done at 90k has nct til March 2013. Its in excellent condition and needs nothing doing.
    Also is there anything that I could replace it with for same money as focus is worth that would be better as I have it 4 years wouldnt mind a change? I do about 15k a year miles up and down cork to waterford every week.
    Thanks
    Gavman

About 2.5-3 grand maybe more because of the good spec but a hatchback would be worth more. Do you really need a diesel doing such low mileage??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Hey Corkie
    I dont know to be honest I bought it before the whole big switch to diesel by everyone and I must say I think its good on diesel and does save money over the petrol prices. It doesnt cost me more to service than my fiesta I had before either. I dont know if I could handle the cost of petrol vs diesel and the whole diesel causes more issues spiel hasn't applied to me its only needed regular servicing since I bought it iv no problems with it to date.
    Gavman

Hey Corkie
    I dont know to be honest I bought it before the whole big switch to diesel by everyone and I must say I think its good on diesel and does save money over the petrol prices. It doesnt cost me more to service than my fiesta I had before either. I dont know if I could handle the cost of petrol vs diesel and the whole diesel causes more issues spiel hasn't applied to me its only needed regular servicing since I bought it iv no problems with it to date.
    Gavman

The Focus you have isnt prone to the problems of modern diesels. Nothing like old skool eh?:)

The Ghia spec you have is pretty rare and you wont get anything extra really over the standard spec. Have you any particular car in mind??

Congrats on the new arrival by the way! Ya old school cant be beat really compared to more modern diesels and there issues. Iv nothing in particular in mind I would like a bit more power I guess alright. The turbo lag is a bit of a pain! I have had it remapped already too. Any petrol cars that wouldn't cost a lot to run and be bit faster and more fun?
    Gavman

Congrats on the new arrival by the way! Ya old school cant be beat really compared to more modern diesels and there issues. Iv nothing in particular in mind I would like a bit more power I guess alright. The turbo lag is a bit of a pain! I have had it remapped already too. Any petrol cars that wouldn't cost a lot to run and be bit faster and more fun?
    Gavman

Thanks for that..:)

VW Passat 130 Bhp would have more power but most of them have high miles at this stage and would prob cost more in maintainance in the long run. Audi A4 with the same engine maybe???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

there is a premium on those a4s now though. tbh OP, your mad to switch. theres a good chance that the focus will give you another few years trouble free motoring apart from wear and tear. parts are probably much cheaper too.

I think the A4's would have high mileage also and maintenance costs like the Passat. Im thinking I prob need a few k to put with focus value to get something that would make it worth my while changing really. At least I know my car is in good order cant say that of something I may buy for similar worth.

I think the A4's would have high mileage also and maintenance costs like the Passat. Im thinking I prob need a few k to put with focus value to get something that would make it worth my while changing really. At least I know my car is in good order cant say that of something I may buy for similar worth.

A4 would have the same problems as the Passat. As Deutchland said you might be better of holding on to your Focus. I see a load of boy racers driving Passats and A4`s now. You could be very lucky buying one of them and you could end up buying a car costing you a fortune. I think you might be better of buying a petrol if you want something fresh and you are doing low miles every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

hold off until your willing or able to put in some more money for a new car. the only thing id advise doing is maybe a 1.7 astra mk4. you might even get a newer model estate diesel for 3500ish. they are a solid engine, if a little basic. but basic is good with diesels nowadays

Ya im thinking im better off to hold off til I have some money saved towards next car as ye both say. I dont mind too much either its a great car so i can keep it for bit longer happily enough. If only I had won the euro millions I could have even afforded an Octavia Tdi plenty room in boot for the cash!

• Advertisement
Advertisement