Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to College? Check here for Mature/Disabled/Access/Grant & Fees information

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sean1976

Heads up on the student grant application it will now be available now till the 11th of June. It is now an online application only no more forms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I've taken up a position with the Tus foundation and will be officially off JSA next week. I applied for third Level courses for the Fall. Will signing off JSA effect me negatively as far as my courses will go [I may have to move for my course]?

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I've taken up a position with the Tus foundation and will be officially off JSA next week. I applied for third Level courses for the Fall. Will signing off JSA effect me negatively as far as my courses will go [I may have to move for my course]?

Hi John
    I have the same problem I have been offered summer work in Africa I called to my local social service office and explained everything about how I was starting 3rd level in September. I asked how this would affect me getting the BEA as I would be breaking my time for 10 weeks. They were really helpful and went out of there way to check it out for me a rang me numerous times, in the end they told me I could work with out it affecting me getting the BEA but I would advice you to speak to them and to explain your situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

sean1976 wrote: »
    Heads up on the student grant application it will now be available now till the 11th of June. It is now an online application only no more forms.

Is the application form actually ready?? I keep checking the website and it's not there. Are you saying that it is ready and that it will only be available till 11th of June??

Blondie919 wrote: »

Is the application form actually ready?? I keep checking the website and it's not there. Are you saying that it is ready and that it will only be available till 11th of June??

Hi

No it's not available until the 11th of June as there has been a problem with the online application. So starting from the 11th of June you will be able to apply for the grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

There is a video tutorial on the SUSI facebook page which goes through the application process and lets you know what you need to have ready to complete it. Its a good idea to have a look at it:http://www.facebook.com/susisupport/app_352257601489477

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Quick one for you guys:

Graduated from my undergrad in 2010 and have been working full time ever since.

Now I'm looking at going for my masters this year and I'm wondering if there is any kind of grant that I may be entitled to and if so where is the best place to go looking for it.

Basic info:
    Age 25, renting in Dublin since April 2011, did undergrad in UCD, looking to do masters in UCD.

Thanks.

pithater1 wrote: »
    Quick one for you guys:

Graduated from my undergrad in 2010 and have been working full time ever since.

Now I'm looking at going for my masters this year and I'm wondering if there is any kind of grant that I may be entitled to and if so where is the best place to go looking for it.

Basic info:
    Age 25, renting in Dublin since April 2011, did undergrad in UCD, looking to do masters in UCD.

Thanks.

Hi pithater1.

Unfortunately the BTEA from Social Welfare is only available for post grad courses up to Higher Diploma level. Its not an option for people doing a Masters or higher.

The last budget also saw a big chunk taken out of funding for post grad students. The maintenance grant for pg courses was taken away and the level of help with fees was also restructured:

Information available from Citizens Information
    Changes in Budget 2012- Postgraduate funding
    Postgraduate students: No maintenance grants will be paid for new entrants on postgraduate courses from the 2012-13 academic year. Fee grants (described below) will continue to be paid for those postgraduate students who would previously have qualified for the special rate of grant, i.e have an income of less than €22,703 and be in receipt of a Social Welfare payment.

In addition, based on their means, a further 4,000 postgraduate students will get a €2,000 fee contribution grant. The income threshold for this payment (which will be lower than the standard grant threshold) has not yet been determined.
    Fee grants
    A fee grant can cover any of the following 3 elements:
    • All or part of the student contribution
    • Costs of essential field trips
    • All or part of a student’s tuition fees (but not if covered by the Free Fees Scheme)

Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI)

Tel: 0761 08 7874
    Email: support@susi.cdvec.ie

Higher Education Equity of Access

Department of Education and Skills
    Portlaoise Road
    Tullamore
    Co. Offaly
    Ireland
    Tel:+353 (0)57 9325317
    Fax:+353 (0)57 9325435
    Homepage: http://www.education.ie/

The Dept of Ed office listed above can give you more specific info based on your current circumstances.

Thanks for that, might give them a call to see if there is anything I can get.

Now I have an income of just under the 22k mark but I have never recieved a social welfare payment in my life.

Do they still consider your parent's income at 25 and living away from the family home?

pithater1 wrote: »

Do they still consider your parent's income at 25 and living away from the family home?

No, once you are over 23 and can prove that you have an independent address your parents income would not be counted.

• Advertisement

Just off the phone to them there, turns out I may be entitled to up to €6,270 of course fees.

As a reference for others they consider:
    Your income from Jan to Dec 2011
    Your nationality
    How long you have been living independantly since age 23 (they asked if I had moved out before October 2011)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

Just filled out the susi application online, does anyone know its decided though? the thing is i earned roughly 26000gross+2800 redundancy in 2011 but living at home since november since i lost my job, and been unemployed since, will my application be assessed on mine alone? my parents alone? or mine plus my parents? im not looking for a grant, just tuition fees and reg fees as il be on btea.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Wintergreen

I was in Australia last October so would I be able to say im a mature independant student and how could I prove it? Since March this year ive been back living at home.

I applied though the CAO but since have applied through direct entry. Im not interested in the CAO course anymore so should I just say no to the CAO number part?

Sorry if these are retarded questions, id ring the hotline but im currently in work so ill have to bother you guys instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Hi John
    I have the same problem I have been offered summer work in Africa I called to my local social service office and explained everything about how I was starting 3rd level in September. I asked how this would affect me getting the BEA as I would be breaking my time for 10 weeks. They were really helpful and went out of there way to check it out for me a rang me numerous times, in the end they told me I could work with out it affecting me getting the BEA but I would advice you to speak to them and to explain your situation

Thanks Sean. I'm going up to the Office first thing in the morning to discuss this and some other issues. I'll probably have to request my contract termination with Tus as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 crankyboots

Hi guys, Have a quick question. I have been living abroad for about 12 years though I was born in Ireland and educated here. I completed my Degree 12 years ago also, but now I am back and wish to do my Masters. Ireland has always been my primary country of residence as I've never been a resident of any other country so Can I answer 'yes' to the question: Have you been resident in Ireland 3 out of the last 5 years, on the SUSI grant application form? Also, I have been living outside the EU for the last 5years.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hi guys, Have a quick question. I have been living abroad for about 12 years though I was born in Ireland and educated here. I completed my Degree 12 years ago also, but now I am back and wish to do my Masters. Ireland has always been my primary country of residence as I've never been a resident of any other country so Can I answer 'yes' to the question: Have you been resident in Ireland 3 out of the last 5 years, on the SUSI grant application form?

That makes no sense.

If you have lived abroad then you have been a resident of another country. If you have not lived in Ireland then you have not been resident here.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4 crankyboots

In legal terms, my 'permanent residence' has always been Ireland...as in I have been working in other countries but have not been termed a resident there legally though I have been 'living' there e.g on the one year working holiday visa in Australia, you are not a resident even though you are legally working and living there for one year. I think there is a problem with the terminology of the question..it probably should be; "Have you lived in Ireland for at least 3 out of the 5 years?"....am I right in this interpretation?

In legal terms, my 'permanent residence' has always been Ireland...as in I have been working in other countries but have not been termed a resident there legally though I have been 'living' there e.g on the one year working holiday visa in Australia, you are not a resident even though you are legally working and living there for one year. I think there is a problem with the terminology of the question..it probably should be; "Have you lived in Ireland for at least 3 out of the 5 years?"....am I right in this interpretation?

I would interpret lived in and resident in as exactly the same thing. The grant application requires you to prove you you have lived in Ireland for 3 of the last 5 years.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sheepie

hi all, just a quick question about second chance with fees and grant. I did one year nursin back in 2005 and deferred the course after 1st year but never retured the following sept. I didn't even fill out the pre registration form for the second year so they counted me as a drop out. i did recieve a grant and fees paid for the 1st year.

I rang the grant place today to make sure that Iwoud get free fees if I start in sept this yer in a different area of nursin but the guy couldn't tell me for sure. I am sweating now because I wont be able to do the course if I cant get free fees or grant :eek:

sheepie wrote: »
    hi all, just a quick question about second chance with fees and grant. I did one year nursin back in 2005 and deferred the course after 1st year but never retured the following sept. I didn't even fill out the pre registration form for the second year so they counted me as a drop out. i did recieve a grant and fees paid for the 1st year.

I rang the grant place today to make sure that Iwoud get free fees if I start in sept this yer in a different area of nursin but the guy couldn't tell me for sure. I am sweating now because I wont be able to do the course if I cant get free fees or grant :eek:

From what you said above it looks like you should qualify under the second chance rule.
    As long as there are five clear years between the time you officially left the college and the start of your new course and as long as you didn't get any other 3rd level qualification since you left Nursing you should be ok for free fees etc. You can check with the Dept of Education Student support unit: 057 9325317. They should be able to give you a clear answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 sheepie

paperclip2 wrote: »
    From what you said above it looks like you should qualify under the second chance rule.
    As long as there are five clear years between the time you officially left the college and the start of your new course and as long as you didn't get any other 3rd level qualification since you left Nursing you should be ok for free fees etc. You can check with the Dept of Education Student support unit: 057 9325317. They should be able to give you a clear answer.

thanks paperclip2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cactus466

Hello everyone,

I've been accepted into year 2 of BA(Hons) degree in NCI, Dublin. Mature student also.
    I completed a level 6 course 4 years ago with them and am very interested to see am I still eligible under the Free Fees Initiative?

I have high hopes that I am and I have contacted the college also and am waiting to hear back but has anyone else any experience in the matter?

Is it the college who decides who's entitled when you apply or is it a local VEC etc.

Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭poeticjustice

Hi,

Does anyone know what proof SUSI look for when applying for a grant as an independent mature student?

I'm 26 and have been accepted to start a full time undergraduate course in September. I don't live at home. I pay rent in a shared house but don't have any bills in my name or a legal contract with the landlord.

How can I prove that I don't live at home?

Any help would be really appreciated.
    Thanks

Hi,

Does anyone know what proof SUSI look for when applying for a grant as an independent mature student?

I'm 26 and have been accepted to start a full time undergraduate course in September. I don't live at home. I pay rent in a shared house but don't have any bills in my name or a legal contract with the landlord.

How can I prove that I don't live at home?

Any help would be really appreciated.
    Thanks

Maybe bank statements to your current address? You could ring the SUSI helpdesk and ask them directly:
    SUSI Support Desk:
    Email: support@susi.cdvec.ie
    Phone: 0761 08 7874
    facebook.com/susisupport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Hello all.I have recently been accept for my fulltime college course.Im a 28 year old mature student and I havent a clue what my options are when it comes to payment.I tried the contact the studentfinance web site but there contact details are not working.I finished a 1 year vetac level 5 course last year.

What I think I know is :
    I have 3 options to choose from.I can get one of either of these :

1)The grant
    2)Back to education
    3)Vetac.

Is my understanding of this correct ? Can I get more then one of these ?
    If you need any details please ask.

Thanks for any help.

damagegt wrote: »
    Hello all.I have recently been accept for my fulltime college course.Im a 28 year old mature student and I havent a clue what my options are when it comes to payment.I tried the contact the studentfinance web site but there contact details are not working.I finished a 1 year vetac level 5 course last year.

What I think I know is :
    I have 3 options to choose from.I can get one of either of these :

1)The grant
    2)Back to education
    3)Vetac.

Is my understanding of this correct ? Can I get more then one of these ?
    If you need any details please ask.

Thanks for any help.

Are you on Job seekers allowance or benefit at the moment?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

I am on job seekers allowance.

damagegt wrote: »
    I am on job seekers allowance.

It looks like BTEA would be the best option for you. Full details on the Allowance here: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW70/Documents/SW70.pdf

Generally to qualify for BTEA for a college, uni or IT course you need 9 months on Jobseekers before applying for the payment. It doesn't have to be consecutive as long as there are no breaks in your payment bigger than 12 months. Also you must be on Jobseekers right up until your course starts. If the course is a FETAC level 5 or 6 than you need three months on Jobseekers.

BTEA is paid at the maximum standard rate, for a single person that works out at about €188 per week. There's also a cost of education allowance of €300 included.

Also if your course is third level you would need to apply for a Fee grant from SUSI: http://www.studentfinance.ie
    This would cover your student contribution charge of €2250.

If you get BTEA you can't get the maintenance grant but you can get the fee grant.

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭poeticjustice

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Maybe bank statements to your current address? You could ring the SUSI helpdesk and ask them directly:

Thanks paperclip2.

Think i'll have to leave it til next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Hi there,

I wonder could anyone help with my query. Basically I did a year of a degree back in 08-09 as a second chance student (after a break of more than 5 years since my previous study) and got the free frees and grant for it, but I didn't finish the year because I lost my part-time job and ran out of money. Now I have a chance to go into second year of a different degree and I'm finally eligible for back to education allowance, so I just want to know would I still be eligible for the free fees for the second (and subsequent) years of this degree?

thanks.

Advertisement