Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod of AH?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Nope!

• Only if those sexual favours from Ruu are included.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

No way. Far too time consuming. I tip my hats to you mods, you do a fine job but I just couldn't take it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

no
    Am I the first to say yes for a genuine reason??

I would, it might not be all fun and games, but anything to forward the community and lend a hand with is good in my books! It's good to give something back!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Mirror wrote:

I would, it might not be all fun and games, but anything to forward the community and lend a hand with is good in my books! It's good to give something back!
    What would you do as AH mod that would "forward the community"?

• Advertisement

no
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to imply that there is anything I would do that any of the current mods wouldn't. I suppose I worded that quite badly. I just meant that in a community based on user input and support, anyone such as yourself donating time and effort to the site is a plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Karoma wrote:
    What would you do as AH mod that would "forward the community"?

Something that involves lube methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

no
    Mirror wrote:

TBH on a serious level, I know what you mean. I sometimes feel guilty that the best thing that I have done for boards was suggest a forum, so generally I report spam, and any other posts that break the rules, to help the mods. If we all report offensive, or shilling posts, then we make their job easier.

On a non-serious level, I'd just like two minutes alone with Faith's avatar, and as a mod I could use my influence to get it.
    /reaches behind and strokes print-out of avatar on wall

EDIT:
    Mirror wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to imply that there is anything I would do that any of the current mods wouldn't. I suppose I worded that quite badly. I just meant that in a community based on user input and support, anyone such as yourself donating time and effort to the site is a plus.
    I think that he just thinks that you are one of those people, who want to improve after hours by removing everything fun from it, and destroying what makes it unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

no
    Yeah. I'd rule it with a steel-fist, handing out bannings and what-not to those who I think deserve it.

Mirror wrote:
    I didn't take it like that at all; the challenge was a friendly one: to promote yourself and opinions (Also, as an excuse to further discuss what we do and why we do it*).

* Example:
    Moving threads from AH:
    Many people seem to think AH is the only forum in existence on Boards.ie. This, chums, is quite untrue. Posting everything in AH makes AH unreadable, and starves other fora of traffic. These people then reply with conviction that they posted in AH because the other forum doesn't have as much traffic... quite a vicious circle there, eh Teds? Discover Boards.ie.

• Advertisement

no
    Karoma wrote:
    I didn't take it like that at all; the challenge was a friendly one: to promote yourself and opinions (Also, as an excuse to further discuss what we do and why we do it*).

* Example:
    Moving threads from AH:
    Many people seem to think AH is the only forum in existence on Boards.ie. This, chums, is quite untrue. Posting everything in AH makes AH unreadable, and starves other fora of traffic. These people then reply with conviction that they posted in AH because the other forum doesn't have as much traffic... quite a vicious circle there, eh Teds?
    Ah right ok. Well I didn't think I was up for promotion :D

But you're right, the other fora are an integral part obviously, and I fully endorse the moving of threads that are inappropriately placed in after hours. I sometimes wonder if most people discover the real resource that lies within boards.ie.

And perhaps it is a bit of a vicious circle but I like to think in the long run that circle will be broken and the expanse of boards will be recognised!

My 2c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Mirror wrote:
    Ah right ok. Well I didn't think I was up for promotion :D

But you're right, the other fora are an integral part obviously, and I fully endorse the moving of threads that are inappropriately placed in after hours. I sometimes wonder if most people discover the real resource that lies within boards.ie.

And perhaps it is a bit of a vicious circle but I like to think in the long run that circle will be broken and the expanse of boards will be recognised!

My 2c.

That and laziness me thinks. Then out comes the broom I have which has no bristles left on it, Kar got the good one in the pile and then your [STRIKE]friendly[/STRIKE]AH Janitor is here!

no
    Karoma wrote:
    * Example:
    Moving threads from AH:
    Many people seem to think AH is the only forum in existence on Boards.ie. This, chums, is quite untrue. Posting everything in AH makes AH unreadable, and starves other fora of traffic. These people then reply with conviction that they posted in AH because the other forum doesn't have as much traffic... quite a vicious circle there, eh Teds?
    If the thread wasn't really movable, (it had the typical AH post standard), if I was mod then I would still post a link, early in the thread, telling people of the dedicated forum, and asking them to use that if any new-thread-worthy issues arose within the subject (as frequently happens in AH).

EDIT: I was just looking at the Patrick Nally thread, and I have to say that I would hate to mod that thread.

Ruu wrote:
    That and laziness me thinks. Then out comes the broom I have which has no bristles left on it, Kar got the good one in the pile and then your [STRIKE]friendly[/STRIKE]AH Janitor is here!
    What good is a broom without bristles...ooooh. Swap?

If the thread wasn't really movable, (it had the typical AH post standard), if I was mod then I would still post a link, early in the thread, telling people of the dedicated forum, and asking them to use that if any new-thread-worthy issues arose within the subject (as frequently happens in AH).
    Not all threads should / are moved. That's a decent enough solution sometimes. On the other hand, some threads are salvaged from becoming typical-AH posts with a quick forum move. Fair point though; there isn't a one-size-fits-all solution.

no
    It's a fair point indeed. I'm worried we might go down "that" road again... nobody ask ANYBODY what to do with those threads...

You're avatar makes me sad.

@The_Minister

You might get more support for the Political Theory forum if people could see the link :p It's hard on the ould googlies!

no
    Mirror wrote:
    @The_Minister

You might get more support for the Political Theory forum if people could see the link :p It's hard on the ould googlies!
    Noted and Changed. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: No sooner had I changed my link colour, then a lady invited me to act in a play! The way these cheques keep rolling in, its nearly criminal!

no
    I'm missing the connection between the link and a play... :confused:

Where can we see you perform then? :D

no
    Mirror wrote:
    I'm missing the connection between the link and a play... :confused:

Where can we see you perform then? :D
    The Simpsons. The one with the swear jar.

Ahem. on topic...on topic,leds. On topic... *mutter*

no
    /hides in the corner

Still in all, it's nice to know we have ~20 back-up mods, I'll sleep better tonight! I have to be honest, I don't really see the point of this thread...

• Advertisement

Nor do I - "but then, it's AH..."

no
    It aggitates me to know I can never look up AH in the dictionary and find a defition.

I do think the "Kewl" Vids, Pics and Links Forum was a much needed addition, I think the effectiveness is noticable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Marts wrote:
    So, would you accept the job of mod here?
    Although I enjoy AH, I'm glad there are people like Ruu who have elected to carry the work load of keeping us silly people in line. So no, I already have too much on my plate to take on a mod squad slot on AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

No Thanks. To much work involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I don't think I spend enough time on the site to qualify...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

no

Applications can no longer be accepted. The closing date was 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

ramp test

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

2006 thread?
    I must warn people about the recession!!!!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

You definitely dont pay enough attention to the post dates

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Oh no Adam closed his account

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement