Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trouble getting E-bookers to refund double booking

• 01-10-2012 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭

As the title says, my friend had money for an expensive long haul flight debited twice by e-bookers over a month ago (13th Aug!)

Rang them 9th of Sept, they acknowledged their error and she was told it would be refunded no problem in 7-9 days. Rang again on 20th sept told same thing. Still no sign of refund!. Rang again today, and told that they need to contact the Airline and she could be liable for €175 cancellation fee :eek:, even though it was E-bookers issue! Still waiting for them to get back to her and let her know.

What should she do next? They don't seem to be taking this seriously and seem to be using delaying tactics to refund the extra money they debited.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Contact her bank and do a charge back if paid by credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

It was paid for on Laser, can the bank do this at this stage?.

It is clear that it is a duplicate transaction, payments were 13th of August.

Still waiting for e-bookers to come back, they are blaming Ethiad! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

You can't do a charge-back on Laser cards, only credit cards.

Ebookers are the company you have a contract with, not Etihad. They said that the money would be refunded in X amount of days and it wasn't.

Since you can't do a charge-back, I'd send them a (registered) letter, giving them 10 days to refund the money before you initiate Small Claims Court proceedings.

LyndaMcL wrote: »

Ebookers are the company you have a contract with, not Etihad. They said that the money would be refunded in X amount of days and it wasn't.

Since you can't do a charge-back, I'd send them a (registered) letter, giving them 10 days to refund the money before you initiate Small Claims Court proceedings.

Thanks, it is not me it is my friend. I will recommend she send a registered letter. Ridiculous to have to wrangle for her money at this stage....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Thanks, it is not me it is my friend. I will recommend she send a registered letter. Ridiculous to have to wrangle for her money at this stage....

Make sure it's sent as registered post, because she needs proof that they received the letter for any case with the SCC to go in her favour.

Good luck! Hopefully, as they already admitted to making a mistake, the letter will cause them to rectify the mistake quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

LyndaMcL wrote: »

Just to point out something about the chargeback procedure.

A friend of main was clamped by a private clamping company a few weeks ago. He basically wrote a letter to bank manager stating that that unlawfull transaction took a place based on the fact that private clamping companies are not regulated in this country.He mentioned a few acts/legislations in that letter concerning the private clamping companies.

The bank cancelled the transaction except the the handling fee.

I'm not sure if you can call this the chargeback but the transaction was cancelled and money refunded.

He used the laser card for this specific transaction.

She spent another day ringing their Indian call centre and going around in circles, 20 mins on hold and keeps having to repeat the problem from scratch.
    It is approx1200 euro double debited. The transactions were the 13th of August, surely the bank cannot reverse at this stage ? Ebookers are being ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

She spent another day ringing their Indian call centre and going around in circles, 20 mins on hold and keeps having to repeat the problem from scratch.
    It is approx1200 euro double debited. The transactions were the 13th of August, surely the bank cannot reverse at this stage ? Ebookers are being ridiculous.

WHY is she still ringing them. Forget that. It's already proved unfruitful. Go the registered formal complaint route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Jarren wrote: »
    Just to point out something about the chargeback procedure.

A friend of main was clamped by a private clamping company a few weeks ago. He basically wrote a letter to bank manager stating that that unlawfull transaction took a place based on the fact that private clamping companies are not regulated in this country.He mentioned a few acts/legislations in that letter concerning the private clamping companies.

The bank cancelled the transaction except the the handling fee.

I'm not sure if you can call this the chargeback but the transaction was cancelled and money refunded.

He used the laser card for this specific transaction.

With most chargebacks the customer is refunded while the bank investigates, if the bank subsequently establish that it was a legitimate transaction the money will be debited from the account.

Advertisement