Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need an 1st 8/10 K run ??? in dublin...

• 17-02-2012 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi all,

Today, I ran my first,,, wait for it… 1 KM,,, on a treadmill…. Non Stop, no breaks, really, although the blond next to me was quite distracting… in a good way…

Anyway,,, now you know where I am, I think it is too soon to do a marathon tomorrow,

So, I will aim lower…

Ok, jokes aside, I use to be runner, but life got in the way,,, 12 years later, I am back…

So, I would like to do an 8 / 10 K run in Late April, early May

Call it, Couch to 10K in 3 months

But, I do not want to by mistake find myself in the Olympics…….

I am looking for a fun, no pressure 1st run in Dublin

Any ideas????

As, I need a mission, something to look forward to…

And, I want to book it ASAP, so that I can plan towards it…

Thanks…

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The Terenure 5 mile is on 13th May.
    Great annual race and suitable for all levels.
    Here is the website
    Here is the Boards thread.

You won't find a flatter or better organised race in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

menoscemo wrote: »
    The Terenure 5 mile is on 13th May.
    Great annual race and suitable for all levels.
    Here is the website
    Here is the Boards thread.

You won't find a flatter or better organised race in Dublin.

+. Perfect race for you.

Good atmosphere, lots of people.

Go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

Maybe it's a bit too soon for ya but the great Ireland run 10k is on the 15th of April, am looking for some races myself so I'll keep an eye on the suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

Yes, the Great Ireland Run would be great for you. It caters for all levels so you won't be short of company and you'll get a new t shirt for your future training!! Best of luck with the comeback!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Great Ireland Run is expensive, crowded, a tough course, awkward to get to (because there are 10000 other people converging on the park), will involve waiting around for an hour before the start because it never starts at the advertised time, and the t-shirt is poor quality.
    But you get a medal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    Great Ireland Run is expensive, crowded, a tough course, awkward to get to (because there are 10000 other people converging on the park), will involve waiting around for an hour before the start because it never starts at the advertised time, and the t-shirt is poor quality.
    But you get a medal!

The terenure 5 miler on the other hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭TheCaveman

Ok, thanks for teh reply's.

As the Great dublin 10K run in in just under 2 months, not to sure if i will be readdy, but who knows....

If I understand it corectly, you have to sign up before 26 March, jsut over a month away.

So that give me 4 weeks to see how my form is....

But, I will deffo sign upo to the The Terenure 5 mile as it is like 5 min away from me. - I can even run to the start line....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You could also do a 5k for your first race - there's one on Patrick's weekend through the city centre. A good race with plenty of slower runners and walkers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

The Urban Trails Series that I organise might be good for you.

Maybe try the shorter 4.75k race at St Anne's and aim for the 8k at Tymon

MARLAY PARK
    February 25th 2012
    4KM / 8KM

ST ANNES PARK
    March 24th 2012
    4KM / 8KM

TYMON PARK
    April 21st 2012
    4.75KM / 9.5KM

You have missed our early entry offers for €30 and €39 for all 3 races but still only €15 per race.

Full details at www.urbantrailsireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

Some night-time Samsung Run has just been launched for April 29th at 8.30pm around city centre and pieces of the southside. Bit on the pricey side but a nice flat course.

http://www.samsungnightrun.com./

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

Have a look at the Calcutta run in May (10k). Organised by the Law Society but I think it's open to all.

Very good fun and well organised. Mix of levels too from 35 minuters to walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭TheCaveman

Just wanted to say, a BIG thank you for all the ideas....

I have decided...

drumroll.................

My 1st race of the 21st Centure will be:

Great dublin 10K run

Followed by the Samsung 10K night run

There was a few mentioned that takes place earlier, but, I do not know how to explain it, the timing just feel right for teh above 2....

Thanks all....

Advertisement